E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > window dash light & beeper

03-31-2024, 06:32 PM   #1
zellamay
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 1998 Z3MRoadster

window dash light & beeper

2006 330i rear windows do not work at all, no matter the settings of the switches. That is not the problem. I am willing to have rear windows that never operate. ...... The problem is that the dash light & beeper keep coming on and bothering me. Is there a way to simply turn that thing off? ..... I've read about re-setting the windows, but since mine don't work, I don't think I can do that. When the problem appeared a year or two ago, I took a rear door apart and hot-wired the motor to close the window.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 12:00 PM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by zellamay View Post
2006 330i rear windows do not work at all, no matter the settings of the switches... The problem is that the dash light
& beeper keep coming on and bothering me. Is there a way to simply turn that thing off?
If you keep "Fixing" things by deleting Functions, you'll SOON have a "Bodge-Mobile". My suggestion is to diagnose
the issue, STARTING with answering the following:

1) What "repair" immediately preceded the rear windows NOT working? Battery disconnection/Replacement perhaps?

2) Are fuses F62 & F64 intact? does removal of those fuses change anything as far as Warning Lights/ Sounds?

3) What "CC-ID Codes" do you have? See "Check Control" procedure in Owner's Manual. CC-ID #259/ #261 perhaps?

4) Make/Model of Scan Tool available, if any? Do you have a Multimeter?

5) Fault Codes in FRM (Footwell) Module Fault Memory? If you don't have Scan Tool, get FREE code reading at
Advance Auto, AutoZone, etc.

6) WHAT Warning Light(s) appear on Instrument Cluster? Same as the attached page from Bentley Manual?

7) WHAT is currently disconnected in Rear Window wiring? In door(s)/ elsewhere?

8) IF NO Rear Window connecters are DIS-connected, does EITHER rear window move at all (even an inch) when Driver Door
Window buttons pressed? When Rear Door Button pressed?

"Anti-Trap Initialization" is often needed AFTER Battery disconnection/ replacement. That affects BOTH proper
operation of Window control buttons, & Anti-Trap function (automatic reversal if obstruction in window).

ISTA ScreenPrint of Power Window OUTPUTS is attached to show wiring.
With answers to those questions we MAY be able to suggest "Next Steps".
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
BRG_N54311.50
      04-01-2024, 02:24 PM   #3
zellamay
Rep

First, thanks for helping.
1) Yes, I installed a new battery
2)F62&64 are good. No changes by taking them in/out.
3)No CC-ID codes, I think. When I press stalk button, I get:
.. picture of a car
.. picture of a key with a check-mark through it
.. picture of a red car
.. picture of a calender
.. picture of a clock
.. picture of a tire-section with an exclamation mark in it
.. picture of an oil can
4) I have INPA on my laptop
5) Footwell Module only has an error regarding the passenger mirror folding.
6) The only Warning Light is the Power Windows Anti Trapping function
7)Right now, nothing is disconnected. Connecting/discon. don't seem to matter
8)No buttons move either rear window at all.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 06:31 PM   #4
crashoverride
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: na

So confusing. Why don't the rear windows work..?? Why niot get them to work..?? If the anti-trap alert is coming up, then why not just reset the windows..?? Why would you need to "Hot Wire" the windows..??
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 07:53 PM   #5
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by zellamay View Post
... I have INPA on my laptop...
THAT should make diagnosis EASIER. I have TWO different source versions of INPA: BimmerGeeks & Mike's.
Power Windows circuits are split into TWO different wiring diagrams: (1) INPUTS, & (2) OUTPUTS.
Outputs circuit was attached to Post #2. Inputs circuit, showing Button Signals is attached below.

Testing INPUTS:
INPA can be used to test INPUT Signals from Window Control Buttons, driver Panel & door Buttons.
INPA > FRM (Body | FRM Pre 03/07) > F5 Status > F1 Window Regulator; also F2 Status Control Panel

OR, you can connect to JBE Module (since rear windows are operated by JBE) and test:
INPA > JBE (Body | Junction Box Passenger) > F5 Status > F1 Status Window Regulator
You can see Initialization Status and any open/close signal sent by JBE.

Testing OUTPUTS/ Initializing:
The "F6 Activations" Function when connected to EITHER FRM or JBE will allow you to delete previous Initializations,
and "Re-initialize" the windows.

I have NOT had occasion to use these Screens on NON-Functioning windows. If you have any questions about use of INPA,
please let us know. Example Screens from my 3/2007 build 328xi are attached.

INPA should speed the diagnosis, BUT you will need to do some tests with Multimeter to identify any wiring or connector issues.
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 02:45 PM   #6
zellamay
Rep

I got the windows to work by un-hooking the battery for about 30 seconds.

I have tried several "reset anti-trap warning" methods, holding the button for 5 seconds or 30 seconds, ... none worked.

I finally figured out that I had a bad cable for my INPA.
I got INPA to "teach" the windows. They went up and down together and now work fine.
But that didn't fix the dash light and beep.

I started searching for any codes, found some that said "rear door open", but they were not open.
I erased those codes. They did not return.

And the dash light and beep are gone........... it is fixed!

thanks again for your help.

Last edited by zellamay; 04-02-2024 at 07:04 PM.. Reason: to tell of success
Appreciate 0