BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

06-03-2024, 10:04 PM   #1
myidsucks
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Adding MP CF spoiler (ZC9) to order - pipe dream?

Hi BMW ordering system experts!

I've got an order for an M2 that builds late this month (my first BMW) and wanted to add the MP CF spoiler to it but it's not currently available in the ordering system. Has this option been unavailable for a long time? Any chance it comes available in time for me to get it added?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2024, 01:47 AM   #2
DutchBoysRacing
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2, 2013 Mini GP

I would recommend you doing it post purchase. They won't deliver the car until the part is installed.

I ordered the MP Steering wheel. This delayed my car like 3 weeks (at port) because they needed to wait to get the part in stock at the VPC. I also didn't keep the original steering wheel.

If I purchased the MP Wheel after, I would have an extra steering wheel and had my car earlier.
      06-04-2024, 08:56 AM   #3
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Agree with the above. Buy it after the fact from online dealers like www.bmwpartscenter.com & save a decent chunk of money.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2024, 09:31 AM   #4
rons e92
60-130 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post
Agree with the above. Buy it after the fact from online dealers like www.bmwpartscenter.com & save a decent chunk of money.
You save on the cost of parts, but the dealer will take you to the cleaners for install if you wanted the warranty with the OEM parts.

They tried to charge me $5,300 and 28.1 labor hours to install the MP HAS, CF front air intakes, spoiler, door puddle projectors, side sills, and probably something else I'm forgetting.

I told them put the parts back in the car and don't install anything.

After I left they called me back and offered to do it for $2,500 and they'd have it done in one day.

Even with that massive labor savings, it still cost me slightly more to do it that way over getting everything port installed.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2024, 12:29 PM   #5
myidsucks
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rons e92 View Post
You save on the cost of parts, but the dealer will take you to the cleaners for install if you wanted the warranty with the OEM parts.

They tried to charge me $5,300 and 28.1 labor hours to install the MP HAS, CF front air intakes, spoiler, door puddle projectors, side sills, and probably something else I'm forgetting.

After I left they called me back and offered to do it for $2,500 and they'd have it done in one day.

Even with that massive labor savings, it still cost me slightly more to do it that way over getting everything port installed.
That's one of my concerns as well. I want the option on the Monroney plus I don't want to have to mess with finding a shop (instead of paying the dealer's labor rate) to install the spoiler later - I'd rather pick the car up ready to go. OTOH, the first reply has a salient point in that I don't want this to delay the car either.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2024, 12:37 PM   #6
Vinknee
Private
Rep
Drives: '24 M2 | '14 Cayenne

+1 it got dropped from my order and I ordered it from someone who had it in stock online. I had my PPF installer install it, they didn't charge me, but any body shop/wrap shop should be able to do it for an extremely nominal fee.

Was a bit bummed to not have it on my window sticker (which was pretty frivolous in hindsight, especially on such a new car) and saved myself about $200
      06-04-2024, 12:48 PM   #7
BimmerFix
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24' M3 Competition RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by myidsucks View Post
That's one of my concerns as well. I want the option on the Monroney plus I don't want to have to mess with finding a shop (instead of paying the dealer's labor rate) to install the spoiler later - I'd rather pick the car up ready to go. OTOH, the first reply has a salient point in that I don't want this to delay the car either.
For a simple spoiler at the VPC the delay will be very minimal, if at all. Don't sweat it too much

There's folks with MP-HAS port installed which took only a few days, and for some a couple weeks. So YMMV

"Fear knocked at the door, Faith answered. There was no one there." - M.L.K & Christopher Moltisanti (Sopranos)
1 Corinthians 13:4-7
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2024, 01:49 PM   #8
JABCAT
Professor
Rep

Quote:

1. I'd never have a dealer install a spoiler.
2. All oem BMW parts are warrantied for 2 years regardless of who installs it. Not sure what warranty concerns there would be with a spoiler anyway (or any of those other parts you mentioned, minus suspension components).

I'm not concerned about inexpensive accessories carrying the 4-yr new car warranty. On many of the accessories, the cost savings can nearly pay for a new part should it be defective after 2 years.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2024, 01:55 PM   #9
rons e92
60-130 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post
1. I'd never have a dealer install a spoiler.
2. All oem BMW parts are warrantied for 2 years regardless of who installs it. Not sure what warranty concerns there would be with a spoiler anyway (or any of those other parts you mentioned, minus suspension components).

I'm not concerned about inexpensive accessories carrying the 4-yr new car warranty. On many of the accessories, the cost savings can nearly pay for a new part should it be defective after 2 years.
Good luck getting something warrantied by BMW when they didn't install it. You'll have a big uphill battle there. Ask me how I know.

I'll show you almost $3k in receipts for when the OEM M performance shift knob fried the center control unit in my G42 M240i and the car had to get towed out of my driveway. I bought it from ShopBMWUSA.com and followed the instructions to a tee. It was one screw and a ribbon cable, but it somehow fried the whole center control unit in the center console. I argued with the dealer, argued with BMW N.A., they wouldn't budge. They didn't install it, it's not their problem.

Parts installed at the dealer carry the matching new car warranty. Because I did the suspension, I didn't want a strut to go bad early and be stuck with the bill. For exterior carbon fiber, it's not really an issue, although I think the front air intakes were like $800 or $900 each. If one cracks, I'd be happier not having to pay for a new one.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2024, 04:08 PM   #10
JABCAT
Professor
Rep

Quote:
Good luck getting something warrantied by BMW when they didn't install it. You'll have a big uphill battle there. Ask me how I know.

I'll show you almost $3k in receipts for when the OEM M performance shift knob fried the center control unit in my G42 M240i and the car had to get towed out of my driveway. I bought it from ShopBMWUSA.com and followed the instructions to a tee. It was one screw and a ribbon cable, but it somehow fried the whole center control unit in the center console. I argued with the dealer, argued with BMW N.A., they wouldn't budge. They didn't install it, it's not their problem.

Parts installed at the dealer carry the matching new car warranty. Because I did the suspension, I didn't want a strut to go bad early and be stuck with the bill. For exterior carbon fiber, it's not really an issue, although I think the front air intakes were like $800 or $900 each. If one cracks, I'd be happier not having to pay for a new one.!
Like I said, I'm not concerned about a 4-year warranty on a spoiler or door sills or vent inserts, etc. I'm also not concerned about getting a part warrantied that was not installed by a BMW dealership. There are consumer protection laws for that. Now if I install something and that breaks something else, I wouldn't expect that to be warrantied.

From reading this forum for 2 years now, my perception is that many BMW owners don't work on their own vehicles and there's an underlying fear that the dealer has to do all the work/installation of parts/etc. Maybe my perception is accurate, maybe it's not. I've installed countless spoilers on many different cars, so not something I would have a dealer do, nor would my installation affect the part's warranty. Everyone has to do what they're comfortable doing.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2024, 09:40 PM   #11
myidsucks
Private
Rep

After seeing everyone's takes (thanks for the input, BTW) I think I'm good with whatever turns out; whether the dealership is able to add the CF spoiler to the car prior to the build date or I have to add it later, it's all good. Sounds like the swap is pretty easy for a competent shop.

Last edited by myidsucks; 06-04-2024 at 09:40 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0