home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

07-14-2024, 03:29 PM   #1
CarsRFun!
Private
Rep
Drives: '23 MDX Type S, '24 BMW M2

Changing look of gauges?

I have a new...one week old M2. I was told by an employee at my BMW dealer that there is a way to configure the driver's gauges...meaning mainly the speedo and tack, to look like "traditional dial type."

I don't know why BMW didn't build that in to the I Drive...like many other manufacturers have. I don't want to use an external source that could end up messing with the factory system, but, for me I'm not a fan of the current "digital only" readings. A "proper sports car" should have have traditional "gauges" and digitally styled is fine....but, to go full on
"space age" readouts is a bit much...without at least a choice.

Does any know about a way to do this....again, without messing with the factory I Drive system by causing functional issues in other areas??

Thanks for any thoughts and or help!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2024, 07:34 PM   #2
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i, M2

You’ll need to change the headlight fluid with a lower viscosity and replace the OEM kablivit valve for an analog display.
Appreciate 1
JMcLellan2528.00
      07-14-2024, 08:58 PM   #3
CarsRFun!
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
Classic case of a lying/dumb dealer employee.

Hopefully he didn’t say that BEFORE you bought the car, as that would be a lie.

If he said it after you bought the car, he’s just ignorant.
Welcome to the club, and enjoy your car.
No, it was part of delivery day conversation. I didn't get the details, and apparently it was done. He's not ignorant and owns an M3 that's been heavily modified for performance.

I always spend time doing research before believing in most anything. I guess that comes from: Teaching every major system on a DC-10 jumbo jet and traveling the world teaching. Engines, entire fuel system, air cond. system, APU, and everything in the cockpit except actual flight and avionics.

I could take a picture of what I'd like and paste it over the screen! Or remove it entirely and order the screen used on the latest Mustang and plug it in....LOL! Hmmm....research, research!

Thanks, I will enjoy this machine....but, I will have to change the headlight oil I guess!!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2024, 09:04 PM   #4
CarsRFun!
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
You’ll need to change the headlight fluid with a lower viscosity and replace the OEM kablivit valve for an analog display.
Yeah, you may be right. Although, I told an airline customer he'd have to change the kablivit valves if he wanted more thrust out of the GE turbofan engines on his DC-10-30. He did and he wrote me and said the aircraft gauges all went to digital!! No, I didn't get fired..'cause the engines gained more thrust at least!!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2024, 09:50 PM   #5
aerobod
Car Geek
Canada
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Well there you go then, applying 50 year old aerospace technology principles to current automotive technology = “computer says no”
Appreciate 2
      07-15-2024, 03:08 PM   #6
CarsRFun!
Private
Rep

Quote:
Well, if you’re saying he’s not ignorant then I hate to tell you he flat out lied to you…
Well, we can't assume just some possibilities. He could have just been mistaken, didn't quite understand what HE had heard or was told. Lots of reasons for a breakdown in communications.

That's why I asked the question here for anyone knowing about possibilities. Calling him ignorant or he lied is a far reach when you don't know him, what he heard, thought he heard, or misunderstood.

He mentioned it, I asked here for help. Really that simple.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2024, 03:36 PM   #7
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsRFun! View Post
Well, we can't assume just some possibilities. He could have just been mistaken, didn't quite understand what HE had heard or was told. Lots of reasons for a breakdown in communications.

That's why I asked the question here for anyone knowing about possibilities. Calling him ignorant or he lied is a far reach when you don't know him, what he heard, thought he heard, or misunderstood.

He mentioned it, I asked here for help. Really that simple.
Based on the misinformation he provided to you, he is ignorant by definition; "lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about a particular thing".

I can't even quantify the amount of incorrect information spouted out by car salesmen I've encountered over the years. They're generally the last person I would ask for any factual information about an automobile. This is why I have not purchased a vehicle from a salesperson in over 15 years. I go straight to the Sale Manager or Internet Sales Manager and place my order/make the purchase.

Your sales guy's ownership of a modified M3 didn't lend any credibility to his potential to provide accurate information about the M2 (or M3 for that matter). Just go to any cars & coffee and listen to the number of car owners spouting incorrect info about their own cars or other people's cars.
Appreciate 5
      07-15-2024, 04:15 PM   #8
laughMan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 6sp AW/Cognac

although this "traditional dials" is not an option now, bmw can easily add it via software update.
It is just a skin. I wish bmw open up the API and we can do our own customized skin for our own cockpit!
Appreciate 3
      07-15-2024, 06:08 PM   #9
Bret
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jaguar F-Type

There should be multiple gauge layouts available out of the box. It seems like that would be a pretty easy and inexpensive way for BMW to increase potential purchases and owner satisfaction.
Appreciate 2
      07-15-2024, 11:20 PM   #10
CarsRFun!
Private
Rep

Quote:
This x1000
Written for JABCAT too.

First, I didn't ask him about this issue. He mentioned it to me.

Secondly....never assume you know how I or anyone does business when buying cars. I've owned over 70 vehicles, 46 new ones in my life.

My current M2...gee...I made the deal over the phone with....hold on to it.....here it comes....WITH THE GM OF THE DEALERSHIP!!

I haven't bought a car, or SUV from a salesperson in well over 30 yrs!
You get assigned a sales person after you make a deal so they can do all the leg work that's necessary. Certainly the GM isn't going to do that. So, you spend lots of time talking with...your assigned sales person.

I always seek out via the dealer's web site, who is the GM, the GSM, and possibly the #3 person there. Those are the ones I contact FIRST. And, I know many GM's and I am still friends with many. We talk via text or emails from time to time.

I purchased 11 new cars and SUV's from ONE dealership in a 12 yr. period. Yes, I trade often, sometimes buying 2 at a time. Always cash, and with that dealer, once I was well established...didn't take long....all I ever had to do was pick up the phone, and say.." I'd like this vehicle in this color, etc, etc. Deal made on the phone and with my trades. NEVER were my trades looked at before a $$ figure for them was given to me. Why??....they always knew what my trade would look like. And, they were never disappointed.

Cars are my passion and it's fun WHEN you find a great dealer to keep conducting business with.

Now, please, before you "assume" you know how I do business or that I don't know what "ignorant means" you should hold those fingers back from the keys and learn about the person that you are disparaging and preaching to.

Have a great day.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2024, 05:52 AM   #11
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsRFun! View Post
Written for JABCAT too.

First, I didn't ask him about this issue. He mentioned it to me.

Secondly....never assume you know how I or anyone does business when buying cars. I've owned over 70 vehicles, 46 new ones in my life.

My current M2...gee...I made the deal over the phone with....hold on to it.....here it comes....WITH THE GM OF THE DEALERSHIP!!

I haven't bought a car, or SUV from a salesperson in well over 30 yrs!
You get assigned a sales person after you make a deal so they can do all the leg work that's necessary. Certainly the GM isn't going to do that. So, you spend lots of time talking with...your assigned sales person.

Now, please, before you "assume" you know how I do business or that I don't know what "ignorant means" you should hold those fingers back from the keys and learn about the person that you are disparaging and preaching to.

Have a great day.
So the salesmen just gave you random incorrect information about something you didn't ask? Exactly my point above, they rarely know much about the product they're selling.

Nobody assumed anything about how you buy vehicles, in fact nobody in this thread was talking about you at all. We were discussing the misinformation and the car salesmen. Guess what, I've purchased a lot of vehicles too, 43 in 30 years, and no I don't spend a lot of time talking with an assigned sales person. I talk with the individual with whom I made the deal, the sales manager or internet sales manager. Now who's assuming how others do business.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2024, 07:33 AM   #12
NewToM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 G87 Brooklyn Grey

Garage List
2024 BMW M2 G87  [9.47]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post
So the salesmen just gave you random incorrect information about something you didn't ask? Exactly my point above, they rarely know much about the product they're selling.

Nobody assumed anything about how you buy vehicles, in fact nobody in this thread was talking about you at all. We were discussing the misinformation and the car salesmen. Guess what, I've purchased a lot of vehicles too, 43 in 30 years, and no I don't spend a lot of time talking with an assigned sales person. I talk with the individual with whom I made the deal, the sales manager or internet sales manager. Now who's assuming how others do business.
Dang, I’ve only had 4 cars in 25 years…
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2024, 07:49 AM   #13
KC87ZB
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToM View Post
Come on, let's try a little harder
LAGWAGN539.00
NewToM1429.00
      07-16-2024, 08:20 AM   #14
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:

Jeez, come on...you should be buying at least one car per year, if not two per year (and even two ir three at a time). Of course, all should be paid with cash.
Appreciate 2
NewToM1429.00
      07-16-2024, 09:28 AM   #15
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i, M2

Quote:
Only 2 for me. The new M2 and my 1963 Rambler American.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
NewToM1429.00
wrh339.00
Resoelg313.50
      07-16-2024, 09:30 AM   #16
KC87ZB
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
Jeez, come on...you should be buying at least one car per year, if not two per year (and even two ir three at a time). Of course, all should be paid with cash.
Personally I found another user to put on the ignore list. See you all in the next thread. Well, all but one.
      07-16-2024, 10:14 AM   #17
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC87ZB View Post
Personally I found another user to put on the ignore list. See you all in the next thread. Well, all but one.

That wasn't directed at you.
Appreciate 1
      07-16-2024, 10:27 AM   #18
NewToM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 G87 Brooklyn Grey

Garage List
2024 BMW M2 G87  [9.47]
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2024, 02:28 PM   #19
KC87ZB
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Sorry, i didn't mean to quote you. I was referring to the OP.
      07-17-2024, 04:46 PM   #20
LAGWAGN
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 M Roadster, '24 BSM M2

Related - I don’t know why BMW didn’t lean into heritage with these all digital displays. Would be so cool to have some of the greats represented as options. Would love to see the grey dials from my Roadster in this car…
      07-17-2024, 04:52 PM   #21
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAGWAGN View Post
Related - I don’t know why BMW didn’t lean into heritage with these all digital displays. Would be so cool to have some of the greats represented as options. Would love to see the grey dials from my Roadster in this car…
That's actually a really cool idea. I'd love the e46 gauges in my car. I mean, hell, I spent $25 for the year to get red light camera alerts so I sure as shit would shell out some money for unnecessary features.
      07-17-2024, 04:54 PM   #22
LAGWAGN
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 M Roadster, '24 BSM M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post
That's actually a really cool idea. I'd love the e46 gauges in my car. I mean, hell, I spent $25 for the year to get red light camera alerts so I sure as shit would shell out some money for unnecessary features.
100%. They want to squeeze additional cash from me, here’s one way. Let me buy the dials from the legendary 507!