BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

08-15-2024, 05:55 PM   #1
I Lupi 16
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Exhaust Flap Fully Open in Sport (Sport +)

I've had my eye on the SST valve controller for my 2022 m240i. Through my research online and in the forums, the consensus is that the exhaust flap opens up a maximum of 70%. Purchasing a valve controller will allow the flap to open 100%.

I decided to look for myself and noticed the flap is 100% open when I put the car in sport mode or sport +. With the pictures below, can we confirm that this is the maximum the flap will open? Also, is it possible the flap closes a little from the position I am seeing when you start to drive the car in sport (sport +) mode?

The below images are from a standstill. Car is turned on, in park. First picture is comfort mode. Second is sport. Third is sport +.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      08-15-2024, 06:34 PM   #2
CatDaddyJones
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240IX

Always enjoy facts backed with proof. Nice job!
Appreciate 1
MPR1922.00
      08-16-2024, 02:24 AM   #3
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

I was dubious when I saw that 70% claim on another thread. That said, I don’t know if the flap, well flaps, depending on driving conditions.

One of the reasons I bought the M240i over other choices was its quiet at start up yet I can enjoy a bit of bubbles during a blast. My neighbours like me. I want to keep it that way.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2024, 12:05 PM   #4
hxrly
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '23 M240ix

I can confirm, mine is permanently at 90 degrees or fully open after pulling the fuse. Now the car sounds a lot more sporty (AA downpipe) even in the default comfort mode.

Past: F30 340i, C5 Z06, C7 Z51, Fiesta ST, Explorer ST, FA24 BRZ, SVT Focus, NA Miata (x2), 2.7L F150 (x4), Mk5 - Mk8 GTI (x8)
Appreciate 2
BPM2408.00
Sparky_12375.50
      08-16-2024, 10:09 PM   #5
ryo-
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 MWM M240i

afaik, the flap fully opens on startup for the "noise" experience (or maybe some other reason). after a minute or so, I'll hear a whining noise and the exhaust gets quieter even on sport +. then when you shift into drive, it gets louder again. I am not sure when you took your pictures, but if it was on a cold start that might be why.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2024, 06:20 PM   #6
I Lupi 16
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryo- View Post
afaik, the flap fully opens on startup for the "noise" experience (or maybe some other reason). after a minute or so, I'll hear a whining noise and the exhaust gets quieter even on sport +. then when you shift into drive, it gets louder again. I am not sure when you took your pictures, but if it was on a cold start that might be why.

Thank you for the input. This was after I got back from a 15 minute drive. Parked in my garage and took pictures in different modes. In sport (sport+) the valve would be open. In comfort the valve would be closed. Lastly, in sport (sport+) with engine noise reduced, the valve would be closed.

I really don't need more noise on start ups or the low RPMs. I was hoping to add improved exhaust sound / volume when pushing the car on the top end. I was under the impression the valve in our M240Is only open up a certain amount (70% max), even when you are pushing the car. With purchasing a valve controller, it would help open the flap past what OEM allows but this does not seem to be the case.

Looks like it allows you to control how much the valve will be open and when it is open. This can be nice for the person that wants valves open in comfort mode or puts engine noise into "reduced mode." However, it is not going to make the car louder than its current peak.

Please correct me If i'm wrong (I hope I am)
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2024, 06:33 AM   #7
NHRef
Rep
Drives: BMW e36 M3; MINI Cooper S (R53

From what people are writing, it sounds like (sorry) the flap is only there to reduce the exhaust noise. Could there be a performance reason for the flap to open different amounts, for example, allowing the exhaust gases to flow more or less freely?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2024, 06:47 PM   #8
FunnyUsername
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRef View Post
From what people are writing, it sounds like (sorry) the flap is only there to reduce the exhaust noise. Could there be a performance reason for the flap to open different amounts, for example, allowing the exhaust gases to flow more or less freely?
The flap is mainly there to reduce exhaust drone at low RPM. It will open almost entirely when you are in WOT at high RPM, but then close quickly when you reduce throttle.

The valve controllers keep the exhaust open fully, so you get really nice deceleration sounds, about 10% louder acceleration sounds (at low RPM), but some droning.

I think with a high flow cat combined with a valve controller, this car's exhaust would sound perfect. No need for even a catback.
Appreciate 0