bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

08-23-2024, 06:10 PM   #1
TopG42
M-Lite Enjoyer
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i

Shadow code?

Anyone experience this shadow code? I can't find anything about it
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2024, 05:28 AM   #2
Rdurty2
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

I did some research for you and it seems that is normal if your dme has been unlocked and tuned.

If you are that concerned just ask MHD.

Also if the car is running fine it’s best to not go looking for issues. Don’t mean any offense but you are probably the last person here that I would have expected to get tuned and throw your warranty away. You worry and look into things way too much.
Appreciate 1
TopG4228.00
      08-24-2024, 09:43 AM   #3
TopG42
M-Lite Enjoyer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdurty2 View Post
I did some research for you and it seems that is normal if your dme has been unlocked and tuned.

If you are that concerned just ask MHD.

Also if the car is running fine it’s best to not go looking for issues. Don’t mean any offense but you are probably the last person here that I would have expected to get tuned and throw your warranty away. You worry and look into things way too much.
While its true I worry alot about breaking things its moreso about preventing my investment from breaking like my downpipe from AA( burbles arent worth destroying that dp and I prioritize performance). Ik this car can push beyond stock so I look for the middle area where I am not at the limit but I am still making decent changes from oem numbers. Warranty is useless at my dealerships anyway because when I was stock and did a claim on something as simple as the app not working I had to jump through several hoops to prove it and yea it was a waste of time because they refused to just do a swap on my antennae. Im at the point where if something breaks I would rather figure it out myself or get the answers here instead of dealing with the dealership. But yea that's why I ask ALOT. I had a racechip black before my femto unlock and it was really wack compared to this. Like in all honesty mhd stage 2 runs way smoother than the racechip.
Appreciate 1
Rdurty2838.00
      08-24-2024, 11:26 AM   #4
NiPe
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i xDrive G42

All these nonsence codes, including the one you got, goes away if you move to a custom tune from someone with the right knowledge. The one you ask for is ths same all MHD OTS users for Gen2 seem to get, including myself.
Not saying MHD or Pureboost doesnt know what they are doing, but can only assume its a constant change in OEM software which is not catched with the OTS maps unless they are constantly updated.

Anyway, Been there done that....

Without having the coding competence for this platform myself I can only say, after moving away from a very short stint with MHD OTS to a winOLS pro tuner when i upgraded my hardware, No funky DME codes, no various odd torque limit codes in the MHD log files (except "4" at gear change) etc.. its all solid and stable, like its supposed to be.

Run OTS and just live with it, or move to custom mapping

Last edited by NiPe; 08-24-2024 at 11:34 AM..
Appreciate 1
TopG4228.00
      08-24-2024, 01:05 PM   #5
TopG42
M-Lite Enjoyer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiPe View Post
All these nonsence codes, including the one you got, goes away if you move to a custom tune from someone with the right knowledge. The one you ask for is ths same all MHD OTS users for Gen2 seem to get, including myself.
Not saying MHD or Pureboost doesnt know what they are doing, but can only assume its a constant change in OEM software which is not catched with the OTS maps unless they are constantly updated.

Anyway, Been there done that....

Without having the coding competence for this platform myself I can only say, after moving away from a very short stint with MHD OTS to a winOLS pro tuner when i upgraded my hardware, No funky DME codes, no various odd torque limit codes in the MHD log files (except "4" at gear change) etc.. its all solid and stable, like its supposed to be.

Run OTS and just live with it, or move to custom mapping
Tell me more about the custom mapping! Do you just log data on the shelf tune then send it to winOLS ? Or is it a custom tune that was dialed in after a dyno session.
And when you said upgraded hardware did are you referring to head unit? Or built internals for the engine ?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2024, 01:24 PM   #6
ryo-
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 MWM M240i

I have the same code and I only have used Bimmercode and XHP tune. I assume it shows that the ECU?TCU has been tampered with
Appreciate 1
TopG4228.00
      08-24-2024, 01:36 PM   #7
TopG42
M-Lite Enjoyer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryo- View Post
I have the same code and I only have used Bimmercode and XHP tune. I assume it shows that the ECU?TCU has been tampered with
If its just a tamper code for the dealership then idc. It's relieving to know it might be an mhd thing though and not an actual fault
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2024, 05:02 PM   #8
Rdurty2
Captain
United_States
Rep

If you are looking for a custom tune, which is done remotely, either on a dyno or just on the street via logs, reach out to sumo tuned. The guy really knows his stuff and can go full on spicy tuned or more reserved for longevity.

https://www.instagram.com/sumotuned/
Appreciate 1
TopG4228.00
      08-24-2024, 05:11 PM   #9
NiPe
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i xDrive G42

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopG42 View Post
Tell me more about the custom mapping! Do you just log data on the shelf tune then send it to winOLS ? Or is it a custom tune that was dialed in after a dyno session.
And when you said upgraded hardware did are you referring to head unit? Or built internals for the engine ?
Hello

Regardless of hardware.
winOLS is merely the tool reading and coding the DME data in hex code.
The tuning platform in my case remain MHD, but there is various ways to skin the cat so to speak.
As mentioned, I am not a code wizard, but reading and coding in winOLS allow access to the full DME data, while tuning in a certain program may limit you to the tables the platform believe have relevance.

Any pro tuner can chime in on this.
Appreciate 1
TopG4228.00
      08-24-2024, 07:50 PM   #10
TopG42
M-Lite Enjoyer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdurty2 View Post
If you are looking for a custom tune, which is done remotely, either on a dyno or just on the street via logs, reach out to sumo tuned. The guy really knows his stuff and can go full on spicy tuned or more reserved for longevity.

https://www.instagram.com/sumotuned/
Thanks! I reached out to him we will see where it goes
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2024, 05:06 AM   #11
Rdurty2
Captain
United_States
Rep

Also don’t feel like it’s required to get a custom tune. Thousands of people run OTS maps with no issues.
Appreciate 0