home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

Yesterday, 12:02 PM   #1
azrrob
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2025 M240i (in production)

skid plate / factory warranty ?'s

Hello. I have a 2025 M240ix being built, an order I am thinking of canceling. I noticed the threads here about the importance of an aluminum Skid Plate. I emailed my salesman (who has yet to reply). I asked salesman if BMW would install, prior to my taking delivery, the Turner Motorsport Skid Plate offering to pay for the part. I also asked if such an add-on would void the warranty. Since there was no reply I went to a local mechanic today and asked if he'd install the part for me. He said he would but said it could void the warranty, that I should check with the dealer.

This guy worked as a BMW mechanic for 10 years before opening his own shop. I appreciated his honesty. Any feedback would be appreciated. I won't do anything unless I get something in writing from BMW

Bob
2015 Audi S3 Violet Pearlescent/ gray-black leather
2001 E46 M3 Alpine White/Cinnamon (retired)
2006 MZ4 Imola Red/Imola Red (retired)
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 12:23 PM   #2
oldbmwtech
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrrob View Post
Hello. I have a 2025 M240ix being built, an order I am thinking of canceling. I noticed the threads here about the importance of an aluminum Skid Plate. I emailed my salesman (who has yet to reply). I asked salesman if BMW would install, prior to my taking delivery, the Turner Motorsport Skid Plate offering to pay for the part. I also asked if such an add-on would void the warranty. Since there was no reply I went to a local mechanic today and asked if he'd install the part for me. He said he would but said it could void the warranty, that I should check with the dealer.

This guy worked as a BMW mechanic for 10 years before opening his own shop. I appreciated his honesty. Any feedback would be appreciated. I won't do anything unless I get something in writing from BMW

Bob
2015 Audi S3 Violet Pearlescent/ gray-black leather
2001 E46 M3 Alpine White/Cinnamon (retired)
2006 MZ4 Imola Red/Imola Red (retired)
A skid plate will not void the warranty unless it caused the defect, which BMW would have to prove. I can't see how a skid plate will cause a component to fail. The benefits out way your concerns.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 02:13 PM   #3
Antique-ace
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbmwtech View Post
A skid plate will not void the warranty unless it caused the defect, which BMW would have to prove. I can't see how a skid plate will cause a component to fail. The benefits out way your concerns.
I completely agree.
If you have any concerns about the skid plate voiding your warranty just remove it before you bring your car to the dealership for a repair you think will be covered under warranty. There is no way the dealership could know or prove the skid plate was ever there (unless they took and kept photos of it at a previous service visit, which is not very likely).

SOLD: 2011 550i xDrive, 1995 M3 Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:48 PM   #4
bungleaio
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G42 230i

In my experience BMW will not fit any parts unless they came in a BMW box and they have ordered them.

I drive around perfectly happily without a skid plate, none of my cars have ever had one fitted.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 04:03 PM   #5
logjamexcalibur
Rep
Drives: ‘22 230i m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungleaio View Post
I drive around perfectly happily without a skid plate, none of my cars have ever had one fitted.
how many of your cars have had bottom mounted oil coolers with their fins facing the ground?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 08:00 AM   #6
eli371
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungleaio View Post
In my experience BMW will not fit any parts unless they came in a BMW box and they have ordered them.
Strange, my dealer installs parts i ordered from FCP all the time. Saved a bunch over the years.
'22 m240i
Appreciate 0
      Today, 03:37 PM   #7
bungleaio
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G42 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by logjamexcalibur View Post
how many of your cars have had bottom mounted oil coolers with their fins facing the ground?
Absolutely no idea
Appreciate 0
      Today, 05:45 PM   #8
Mike_H_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240ix, 370z, Highlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrrob View Post
Hello. I have a 2025 M240ix being built, an order I am thinking of canceling. I noticed the threads here about the importance of an aluminum Skid Plate.
If you didn't order the ZTK package, a skid plate isn't needed. The ZTK adds the additional oil cooler mounted under the car.

A skid plate isn't going to interfere with the engine, transmission or suspension and it installs in holes that already exist from the factory.

Destroying the oil cooler and blowing the engine will void the warranty.
Appreciate 0