E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > What else is the dealer going to try and sell me?

07-12-2005, 08:18 PM   #1
rakked
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

What else is the dealer going to try and sell me?

My E90 will be here in two weeks or less. I bought it from the same dealership I bought my '99 M3 (used) from several years back. I had a great experience, except when the finance guy started badgering me about getting Lojack during the paperwork. After saying no for 10 minutes, I finally caved when he cut the price in half (he also pulled in the Lojack install guy and the sales manager during the whole painful ordeal).

In any case, what should I expect when I walk in to pick up my E90? I've seen a couple threads about tire and wheel protection. What else????
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2005, 09:08 PM   #2
Spaceman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakked
My E90 will be here in two weeks or less. I bought it from the same dealership I bought my '99 M3 (used) from several years back. I had a great experience, except when the finance guy started badgering me about getting Lojack during the paperwork. After saying no for 10 minutes, I finally caved when he cut the price in half (he also pulled in the Lojack install guy and the sales manager during the whole painful ordeal).

In any case, what should I expect when I walk in to pick up my E90? I've seen a couple threads about tire and wheel protection. What else????
All finance manager will take a crack at getting you to buy extra stuff, you just need to be informed about what they offer and think ahead before hand so that you have all the facts checked out. Just like any other sales situation, people tend to impulse buy, so if you are not sure of what you want, don't think they will not try their best to hound you to persuade you to get it. I rejected all, so here's what I told them:

1) Wheel & Tire protection: run flats require to change every 18000 miles, that's probably 1 1/2 years at best. Policy does not cover tire replacements due to normal wear and tear .Should you get involved in accidents, they measure your tire's condition and pro-rate it. I got the 325i, so standard wheels are the smaller 16" ones, not the cool looking low profile 18", so chances of my rims bending or damaged is low

2) Extended warranty: Though BMW says its offered by them, its not. Its offered by a 3rd party extended warranty company that just happens to be SOLD thru BMW. Which means, when you need ext. warranty work, BMW still needs to check with 3rd party to verify if its covered. I asked for exclusion policy so I can compare accurately with other extended warranty companies available outside, but the finance guy just dropped the subject.. hmm?

3) Extended maintenance. Never knew much about this, supposedly increase your coverage from standard 4yr/ 50000miles to 6 yr/100,000 miles. You can buy this option at a much later date, so don't think you need to get it now. I politely declined, took the brochure and said I will check back with them.

4) LoJack. Most of the time, professional car thiefs would have a steel container on a truck bed on standby when they commit their crime. Your car is probably sitting in it and on the way to the docks in less than 5 minutes after getting thru your car locks. And LoJack CAN'T penetrate the containers to get a lock on the signal, so what's the point? My car came with 1 year BMW assist, so if somebody took it for a joy ride, I can trace it through there. BMW assist can trace cars up to 10 minutes after the engine has been switched off. That's good enough for me. If somebody wants my ride bad, they will get it one way or the other..

All in all, it took less than 5 minutes to talk through the available options with my finance guy. And it was pleasant. Regardless, just know where you stand and I don't think you will be harrassed.
      07-13-2005, 07:47 AM   #3
rakked
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Spaceman, thanks for your well though out response. It doesn't appear that I'll be interested in any of those options and now I will be prepared to respond. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2005, 09:00 AM   #4
itznin
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30

Yeah my conversation was about 5 minutes as well.

The only coverage I took was the tire/wheel protection for $399 since I live in the NJ/NYC area the potholes are ROUGH around here.

1 incident with a tire and/or rim will clearly pay for itself.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2005, 09:55 AM   #5
amcar
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Freebies

Try talking the sales guy into giving you the following:

BMW Carpets
Wind Shield deflector
Mud Flaps
Bottle of leather polish/protectant
Full tank of gas

I was happy to get these, but Iam sure there are others who were able to get more. I got all these (an IOU for mud flaps) when I got my 330i. Just couldn't swing a rear deck spoiler though..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2005, 12:07 PM   #6
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Don't (or do) forget about that Teflon paint protection service. Finance didn't hit me for that one, but sales did on follow-up visits. There are some other threads here about what's involved and what it does or doesn't do. Sales told me to come back every 6 months or so and I wouldn't have to worry about waxing or anything. Never did mention if that was a fee-based service after the initial application.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2005, 02:34 PM   #7
bmwboy29
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 325xi

benefit?

Why did you decide on this and should I as well? Please let me know... Just like you I want to keep my baby looking as nice as I can when I get her. I will be dealing in the fall when my baby arrives.

325xi Titanium Silver/gray leather
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2005, 09:24 AM   #8
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I went with zaino. Seek that thread in the washing section. Something about teflon and adherance requiring HIGH heat.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2005, 06:48 PM   #9
Spaceman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede
I went with zaino. Seek that thread in the washing section. Something about teflon and adherance requiring HIGH heat.
Is it tedious to apply, what with the claybars and high repetitions? I went with Rejex, so far. The car body and windows are holding up well, but not sure I see a difference on my rims. Its supposed to make brake dust adhere less. I really have no points of reference, so not sure if its really doing its job. Most brake dust can be sprayed off with a hose, but you still need to get in there every week or so to make sure they mar your rims permanently.
      07-14-2005, 06:58 PM   #10
NaTuReB0Y