E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > My first problem, and some interesting notes about 320d

07-16-2005, 07:28 AM   #1
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

My first problem, and some interesting notes about 320d

Well, today I got my first problem! I was reversing out my driveway...the pdc was peeping away like it should, and as I pulled off down the road...I get this funny error message. It looks like a P with 3 arcs and a triangle. I pull over, and look in the manual. The warning light is "PDC failed", my first guess was maybe the sensors were dirty...so I checked, a blew the dust off them and the warning light is still on :-/

I will have to take it in on monday sometime...and have them look at it! Do you think it's unreasonable for me to expect a loaner if they want to keep it - the car only has 150km's on it!

Another interesting thing I noticed in my manual, the diesel motor DOES infact have a dip-stick to check the oil! I think that's pretty nifty :P

I am loving my car, except for the slight glitch today...but i'm sure they probably just need to plug it in properly! I wonder how much of a job that is, I really don't want my car to be taken apart!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2005, 07:49 AM   #2
onesixeight
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/i8

I don't think it's unreasonable to give you a loaner car. If anything, the fact that you just bought it and it only has 150km on it should be more reason to give you a courtesy car to drive while they fix the problem.

But I'm with you on the "not wanting the car taken apart." I've run into a lot of cases where the dealer took my car apart only to induce new squeeks and rattles.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2005, 08:27 AM   #3
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hi Broken1

Why not do a test solong

Get someone to help, but you can also do this yourself

Put the car into reverse to activate the pdc ( shouldnt need engine on for it to work -at least not on the E46 )

Use your had ( or helpers hand) and test each sensor to see if its working

Each one on its own should make the PDC sound
Watch out you dont accidently get infront of more than one at a time, the middle ones would requie you to lean over the trunk so you dont set off the side ones

Now if all work the system may reset itself, or you may find one doesnt work and you can tell the dealer which one
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2005, 08:40 AM   #4
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

Thanks for your suggestion E90FLEET. The problem is that the whole system shut down, and none of the sensors work when the warning light came on this morning!

I took it to my father for help, and he wasn't willing to wait for monday...so he climbed under the car. The one sensor's cable was loose. He plugged it back in, and now it works perfectly!! :-) DIY expert he is and all!

PROBLEM SOLVED! May i have trouble free motoring forever...
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2005, 09:18 AM   #5
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
That's great news.... at least now you know that it was not something serious... Enjoy now!!
E90 330i 6MT|Space Grey|Red Brown|Alumin|Sunroof|Voice Control|Logic 7|Xenon|Prof-Navigation|Storage Pack|Luggage Pack|Extended Lights|Anti-dazzle Folding Mirrors|Climate Comf. w/screen|M-Sport Pack|Exclusive Pack|Innovations Pack|Alumin Pedals|CF Splitters|Delivered:19 March 2010
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2005, 10:13 AM   #6
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken1
Thanks for your suggestion E90FLEET. The problem is that the whole system shut down, and none of the sensors work when the warning light came on this morning!

I took it to my father for help, and he wasn't willing to wait for monday...so he climbed under the car. The one sensor's cable was loose. He plugged it back in, and now it works perfectly!! :-) DIY expert he is and all!

PROBLEM SOLVED! May i have trouble free motoring forever...
Good to hear.

A lot of little problems like that can be easily fixed without going to the dealer if you just know how
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2005, 06:39 AM   #7
davinet78
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 320d

Garage List
im glad your problem is over enjoy your car and please post for any other update you might have as im awaiting my 320d in august.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2005, 07:45 AM   #8
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

oh, Broken 1, i'm so sorry to hear that you already have a problem.
i hope it isn't too serious

hey maybe you could ask someone to perhaps check under the car for you, like your dad for instance.

scroll down 3 posts.....

wow, that's just great broken1. glad to know that your car is ok again. how good am i suggesting your dad?

well, you too would be chomping at the bit if you had to wait 2 weeks to pick up your car, especially after youve seen it and had to leave it.

gotta have a little fun while i wait!!!!!!!

all the best.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0