E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > My order shows an engine number: What does this mean?

07-16-2005, 06:43 PM   #1
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
My order shows an engine number: What does this mean?

I've been tracking my order online (BMW Owners Circle). Since the first day I started tracking it, there was no engine number listed. A few minutes ago, I noticed that the Engine Number is now listed.

Do they capture the Engine number when the engine is fitted into the car, or they just capture the engine details in advance?

All in all, I'm trying to figure out if my car is nearer to completion or not. The suspense is killing me. The Sales Person told me to expect it at the beginning of August, but I hope it will be delivered sooner than that.
E90 330i 6MT|Space Grey|Red Brown|Alumin|Sunroof|Voice Control|Logic 7|Xenon|Prof-Navigation|Storage Pack|Luggage Pack|Extended Lights|Anti-dazzle Folding Mirrors|Climate Comf. w/screen|M-Sport Pack|Exclusive Pack|Innovations Pack|Alumin Pedals|CF Splitters|Delivered:19 March 2010
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2005, 06:47 PM   #2
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Ask your dealer to look on their weekly delivery reports what week you car will be delivered (its usually very accurate)

If you live in JHB its generally 3 days after the car is built that it arrives at the dealer

Just for interest it takes about 48 hours to build a E90
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2005, 06:53 PM   #3
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Just for interest the 4 cylinder engines come fom England, so BMW would have allocated a specific engine long before the car is built

So them showing the engine number could mean your engine is built, but still on its way here

Im not shure when they show the number on the internet tracking
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2005, 06:59 PM   #4
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
Ask your dealer to look on their weekly delivery reports what week you car will be delivered (its usually very accurate)

If you live in JHB its generally 3 days after the car is built that it arrives at the dealer

Just for interest it takes about 48 hours to build a E90
Thanks E90Fleet. I will certainly ask the dealer.

I live in Pretoria, so I guess the 3 days will also apply to me. That's pretty

It's like you read my mind. The time it takes to build an E90 was one of the questions I was going to post in the other thread for questions to the factory. And there I was, thinking that it takes around a week to build an E90.

48 hours to build an E90 is pretty awesome... and in that case, I want my car next week hehehe.

Once again, your input has been awesome Thanks.
E90 330i 6MT|Space Grey|Red Brown|Alumin|Sunroof|Voice Control|Logic 7|Xenon|Prof-Navigation|Storage Pack|Luggage Pack|Extended Lights|Anti-dazzle Folding Mirrors|Climate Comf. w/screen|M-Sport Pack|Exclusive Pack|Innovations Pack|Alumin Pedals|CF Splitters|Delivered:19 March 2010
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2005, 07:08 PM   #5
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Just for interest the 4 cylinder engines come fom England, so BMW would have allocated a specific engine long before the car is built

So them showing the engine number could mean your engine is built, but still on its way here

Im not shure when they show the number on the internet tracking
In a way I think it makes sense for BMW to allocate engines before they even build the cars. That way, they will not have to thumbsuck the number of engines to import.

I guess my excitement when I saw the engine number was a little too early.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2005, 07:13 PM   #6
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Your car may still come before the time, many dealers dont tell you the actual week they are expecting the car, but give a week or so later, just incase of a delay
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2005, 07:25 PM   #7
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Your car may still come before the time, many dealers dont tell you the actual week they are expecting the car, but give a week or so later, just incase of a delay
That's great...I certainly hope they deliver it earlier..... I just can't help it.... I'm dying of anticipation.... especially after test driving a car similar to my order.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2005, 07:30 PM   #8
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Just noticed your signanature on the left shows your current E46, your ordered car is a 330i

So no 4 cylinder for you

The 6 Cylinder N52 engines come from Austria
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2005, 07:50 PM   #9
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Just noticed your signanature on the left shows your current E46, your ordered car is a 330i

So no 4 cylinder for you

The 6 Cylinder N52 engines come from Austria
My E36 was a 318i... it was a good car, but not as refined as a 6 cylinder.... as soon as I "upgraded" to my current 320i, I realised what I had been missing out on... Granted, my 320i is an entry level 6 cylinder but it's pretty good.... After enjoying the 330i, my next goal will be that elusive M3 hehehe.

Even if I wanted to stay with the 320i on the E90, the fact that it is now 4 cylinder would have forced me to go for a 325i/330i.

So yeah, no more 4 cylinders for me....
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2005, 02:56 AM   #10
djdewet
Enlisted Member
South Africa
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 3.5i

Hi thrill30, also waiting for my new baby . Must say looking at the order tracking on OwnerCircle does make much sense to me either . According to the dealer my car went into production on the 23th. My current status on OC has said '5. Delivery Date', whatever that means. My order does not have an engine number yet, but I have noticed that the body number changed around the 23th, so don't know if that means it was being build. Anybody that could help clear up what the status means or how to interpret what it says on OC, would be a great help.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2005, 03:10 PM   #11
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdewet
Hi thrill30, also waiting for my new baby . Must say looking at the order tracking on OwnerCircle does make much sense to me either . According to the dealer my car went into production on the 23th. My current status on OC has said '5. Delivery Date', whatever that means. My order does not have an engine number yet, but I have noticed that the body number changed around the 23th, so don't know if that means it was being build. Anybody that could help clear up what the status means or how to interpret what it says on OC, would be a great help.
That tracking site is just way too inconsistent. Even after I got my car, the Owners Circle tracking site said it was still on production .

I think you just have to rely on the estimated date for delivery given by the dealer.... I think BMW South Africa must shut down that tracking site, because as it stands, it's useless... and it doesn't look like they know what to do with it :mad: .

I have written to them with suggestions for improving that site, but there hasn't been any reponse :mad: .

Ah well... what can one do
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2005, 03:27 PM   #12
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

I second that the tracking site is useless. I had my car, and the site still said in production :-/ It did arrive a week earlier than expected though!!!
Ask your dealer they know exactly when they'll recieve it, and exactly what month/week your car is scheduled for production!!!

Did you guys hear we (South Africa) are getting a 2% price increase as of 1 October 2005?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2005, 05:33 PM   #13
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken1
I second that the tracking site is useless. I had my car, and the site still said in production :-/ It did arrive a week earlier than expected though!!!
Ask your dealer they know exactly when they'll recieve it, and exactly what month/week your car is scheduled for production!!!

Did you guys hear we (South Africa) are getting a 2% price increase as of 1 October 2005?
My car came in about two weeks earlier than expected . Good job by BMW on that one .

So, we are going to get a price increase on 1 October . It's the first time I hear of it... and thanks for sharing that info... I'm happy that I bought early
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2005, 01:00 AM   #14
djdewet
Enlisted Member
South Africa
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 3.5i

Thanx for the quick replies guys . Just spoke to the dealer and she says my baby is scheduled for delivery next week . Can't wait. This will be my first Beemer, although I have driven a few of my friends Beemers over the years, and have always had an affinity for them. Guess it's time to change my sig to something usefull hey...
Mineral Silver F25 X3 3.5i AT, Oyster/Black/Wave wood trim interior, 307 style wheels, Prof Navi., Moon/Sun Roof, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Auto tailgate, X-Line, Perf. Control, Apps, BMW Live, Top View, Prof. HiFi, Sports Seats, Elec. Tow Hitch, High Beam assist

Last edited by djdewet; 08-31-2005 at 01:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2005, 01:37 AM   #15
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrill30
My car came in about two weeks earlier than expected . Good job by BMW on that one .

So, we are going to get a price increase on 1 October . It's the first time I hear of it... and thanks for sharing that info... I'm happy that I bought early
I only heard of the price increase, because one of the dealers who I test drove a diesel at (for the n-hundreth time) emailed me asking if I was still interested and told me about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdewet
Thanx for the quick replies guys . Just spoke to the dealer and she says my baby is scheduled for delivery next week . Can't wait. This will be my first Beemer, although I have driven a few of my friends Beemers over the years, and have always had an affinity for them. Guess it's time to change my sig to something usefull hey...
If it's scheduled for next week, you should be able to take delivery the week after production (like friday or so) depending on whether you want the tracking device installed at the dealer before taking delivery! :-)

Enjoy a couple of sleepless nights...
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2005, 01:44 AM   #16
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken1
If it's scheduled for next week, you should be able to take delivery the week after production (like friday or so) depending on whether you want the tracking device installed at the dealer before taking delivery! :-)

Enjoy a couple of sleepless nights...
And then enjoy many more sleepless nights after you take delivery of your car because of the excitement of wanting to get in and drive it ANYWHERE ANYTIME!!!!
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2005, 04:47 PM   #17
thrill30
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by David325Australia
And then enjoy many more sleepless nights after you take delivery of your car because of the excitement of wanting to get in and drive it ANYWHERE ANYTIME!!!!
hehehe ... it seems I'm not the only one with this addition of wanting to drive anywhere
Appreciate 0