E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2nd clutch

04-02-2009, 09:30 PM   #1
wnypga1
Rep
Drives: e92 335i cr,mt,dinan stage2

2nd clutch

My first clutch went at 6 months, second at 18 months (6k&25K). Dealership say's they are not going to cover it under warranty this time. I don’t abuse my car and this is my 3rd MT and I have never had a clutch burn out before. Has anyone else had to replace their clutch?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 09:33 PM   #2
shift330
Blue Force Tracker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
If your clutch is going out that often, it's probably you. You might drive ok but maybe you're riding the clutch? Mine has almost 60k miles on it with a lot of "spirited" driving and is still fine. 6k and 25k is crazy. Stop dumping it!

Stay safe 855th MP Company! Hosmer/Espinoza you're my boys!!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 09:36 PM   #3
wnypga1
Rep

AS i said never had a clutch go before and almost allwas had MT's.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 09:55 PM   #4
Insider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

If your clutch went out at 6K, then obviously there is something wrong with the car. Even if you abused it, it would be hard to get the clutch to give out at 6K. Hire a lawyer, and get BMW to prove that you absued the clutch.
      04-03-2009, 09:33 AM   #5
Healey3000
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i, with 3 pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnypga1 View Post
My first clutch went at 6 months, second at 18 months (6k&25K). Dealership say's they are not going to cover it under warranty this time. I don’t abuse my car and this is my 3rd MT and I have never had a clutch burn out before. Has anyone else had to replace their clutch?
Hi,

When you say the "clutch went out", can you tell us what exactly it was that failed? Was it a worn pressure plate, bent tines on the plate, throw-out bearing, pilot bearing, release fork, etc.?

Depending on the failure, I wonder if it may have to do with your gearbox such as a bent input shaft or misaligned bellhousing. If it's the friction surface of the plate, perhaps the hydraulics are preventing a full release of the clutch slave cylinder, resulting in the same symptoms as riding the clutch.

Have they looked for issues or did they simply replace the clutch parts? Even if they just replaced parts, did they replace all the associated parts or just the pressure plate? The problem may lie elsewhere.

Regards,
Adnan
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 10:01 AM   #6
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep
Drives: '91 M3, '04 E46 ZHP, '72 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnypga1 View Post
AS i said never had a clutch go before and almost allwas had MT's.
Do you like to peel your tires? Don't tell me you drive normally and the clutch can't take it.
      04-03-2009, 10:09 AM   #7
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insider View Post
If your clutch went out at 6K, then obviously there is something wrong with the car. Even if you abused it, it would be hard to get the clutch to give out at 6K. Hire a lawyer, and get BMW to prove that you absued the clutch.
A lot of the Evo and STi guys got their clutches to go out at around 5k, but they launched the crap out of their cars.

I'm at 35,xxx miles and clutch is still grabbing perfectly fine. 2nd manual car for me.

To my understanding, the first clutch job is done by the dealership for 'goodwill'. After that, it's coming out of your pocket.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 10:52 AM   #8
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Healy said it perfectly, something is either very wrong internally with the tranny or clutch mechanism or it's driver induced. My E46 has 140K on the original clutch with abuse, the E90 is step. I've driven manuals for over 35years and never had a clutch go at 6K without another issue. We would need to know what they did and if it was researched as to other problems.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 10:33 PM   #9
wnypga1
Rep

It is and was friction on the surface of the plate. I felt it was the hydraulics that where preventing a full release of the clutch. When the clutch went the first time it happened at night and I had the car towed to the dealership when they were closed. They called me the next day when I was at work and said the clutch was fried and they were going to cover it (with a little lecture about how I was lucky they were doing this). So my observations fell on deaf ears. As far as I know they just replaced the warn parts and chalked it up to aggressive driving. I could tell when I picked up the car they felt that I had just beat on it. This is far from the truth I live in upstate NY and got the car in late Sep. I put snow tires on it less than 60 days after I bought it. For the next 4½ months with snows on it I pretty much had to drive like an old lady. The clutch first went less than 2 weeks after I got the snows off( 6K). Now once again after just getting my snows off the clutch goes within 72hrs(26K). There is one piece of info I left out and this is going to look bad. The day I had them take the snows for the second time I got a Dinan Stage 2 flash. But I only had the flash for 72 hours before the clutch went the second time and I barely had time to drive the car! WTF I love my car but this is messed up. The dealership wants me to pay $1400.00 to fix it. I told them it should be covered under warranty and the need to find out what the problem is. And no the problem is not me this is my 3rd MT and my first was a 5.0 in college. If you want to talk about abuse that car could tell some stories and no I never have had to replace a clutch before!!!!!
Appreciate 0