E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Delivery Time?

07-22-2005, 12:40 AM   #1
mthz
Rep
Drives: 1997 VW Passat VR6

Delivery Time?

Hi all...

I'm stuck making a decision about the car... My old car just died, so I'd like to get a new car ASAP. However, none of the cars that the dealer can find me (which I could have by next week), really are what I want. They all have more things than I want (i.e. Cold Weather Package and Premium Package -- all I want from premium is BMW Assist and Power Seats) and lack one of the things I want most (i.e. Logic 7). Thus, they end up being about $1k-$2k more expensive than what I want, depending on whether or not I decide to go with a manual transmission.

Also, this will be the first car that I've ever bought and the nicest car that I've ever driven. My last two cars were both VW Passats ('93 and '97) that were bought for me by my parents, both with over 100k miles at the time of purchase. As a result, since I'm splurging, I'm kind of of the mind that I should get _exactly_ what I want and be willing to wait for it, rather than paying a $1k-$2k premium to have a car I don't love, albeit right now.

The other thing to consider is that although my old car is dead, I don't necessarily _need_ a car right now. I live in a city where I can take the bus to/from work in the suburbs (and actually avoid traffic by being in the Bus/HOV lane). I'm also living with 2 roommates who both have cars, so if I really _need_ to go somewhere, they can drive me or I can borrow their one of their rides.

So, some questions...

1.) First of all, if I went in tomorrow and placed an order for my dream car, does anyone have any idea how long it would take to actually get here? The dealer keeps telling me 90 days, which I don't necessarily doubt, I just feel like he's giving me a higher-end estimate to get me to order something he's got on the lot (that's also more expensive than what I want).

2.) Next, what do you all think? Does anyone regretting getting a car off the lot that wasn't their first choice, solely so that they could drive it immediately? Is waiting 2-3 months for your car to come excruciatingly painful?

3.) Lastly, does forcing the dealer to order a car from the factory (instead of one he has on the lot) decrease my negotiating power with him? Does the fact that this is a lease change anything?

Thanks!
Matt
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2005, 09:14 AM   #2
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

I'm on the west coast too, from the date of order to date of delivery of my car, built to my specs (not in production yet, custom order not car in progress changed to my specs)

it was about 2 months right on the nose when I got the car
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2005, 09:41 AM   #3
Oliver
Rep
Drives: 325i

I ordered my car on May 21st and picked it up July 13th, so a little less than 2 months.

I wanted less than most of the cars on the lot I could find - manual, xenons, active steering and shades is all I wanted, so I ordered it, and waited. It wasn't that bad.

You can ask your dealer to look into the supply chain - there may be a car close to what you want already in production, or on its way on the boat. That might be a good compromise between getting closer to what you want, and waiting less time.

As to negotiation... the demand is fairly high, so I am not sure what you can do there.
      07-22-2005, 09:57 AM   #4
johnfkitchen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 323is & 330i

I don't have mine yet, but the elapsed time from order to delivery will likely be just under 11 weeks. At the time of order, the car was in very early stages of production (before the options and color etc were frozen).

There was some damage in transit which has held the car at the NY/NJ VPC waiting for parts. This is not a common situation, but it can happen. The dealer provided a loaner after the 8 week mark. (BTW, I feel that the price I paid was not the lowest, but has been a win-win for both myself and the dealership, which has probably meant that the dealership was happier to help me out).

1998 323is SP manual with all the goodies in ArktisSilber + 330i auto SP PP CW iDrive/Nav SatRadio Active Steering Arktis/Beige/Poplar
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2005, 10:57 AM   #5
stack
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

six weeks start to finish

stack
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2005, 11:34 AM   #6
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

If you are going to order, look into Euro delivery and save a pile. You can almost pay for the difference btw a 330 and a 325 depending on the markup in your area. And the experience of driving around europe in Sept? Priceless...
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2005, 11:48 AM   #7
Argelius
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi (on order)

330xi: when exactly in September does production start

I am about ready to place an order (or I guess technically a pre-order) for a 330xi.

I know they are "going into production in September". Is there an exact date? I am just dying to know if my car would arrive in early, mid, or late October (or god-forbid, sometime in November)...

Delayed gratification isn't my strong suit.

Appreciate 0