E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Will the new X5 Interior Finds it's way into the 3 Series?

08-13-2006, 02:57 PM   #1
Bimmerforlife
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Will the new X5 Interior Finds it's way into the 3 Series?

The new interior dash of the X5 is getting alot of praise from BMW owners. So what are your thoughts do you think it will eventually finds it's way into the E90 and every other model in the future?

How bout that joystick? Seeing the official video of the joystick in action it seems pretty high tech and futuristic.

The one thing I noticed about the interior of the X5 is that with the Nav you also have the full radio/cd controls, unlike the E90 where if you don't get the Nav you get the full faceplate of the radio control but if you do get Nav you lose that.

I remember when the E46 first came out and the X5 first came out, both their interiors dash's looked alot alike.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2006, 03:48 PM   #2
BenMW
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2007 330i coupe  [0.00]
2002 325ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerforlife
The new interior dash of the X5 is getting alot of praise from BMW owners. So what are your thoughts do you think it will eventually finds it's way into the E90 and every other model in the future?

How bout that joystick? Seeing the official video of the joystick in action it seems pretty high tech and futuristic.
Yes I do think the joystick will move into the 3 series at somepoint prolly a ways off though.

But where is the video of the joystick in action?

Random: I am also waiting for the twin turbo to be put into the z4 coupe.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2006, 03:59 PM   #3
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

on the twin turbo Z4 idea, why not just get the M coupe

surely the X5 stuff will all trickle into the next body style 3, in 6 more years
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2006, 04:52 PM   #4
Bimmerforlife
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Ben go here to find official broadband quality BMW video showing the joystick in action. Post # 2.

http://www.x5world.com/x5-e70-forum/...r-quality.html

Take a close look too cause it appears the joystick moves itself? Less driver involvment? It seems we are doing less and less as a driver, no more turning the ignition, no more shifting the gears, seems like tap it and go. Good or Bad?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2006, 10:02 PM   #5
climkt
Bimmer Manual all the way
Singapore
Rep
Drives: e90 320i manual

Joysticks should be left for fighterplanes and computer consoles. would dread the introduction of auto gear joystick on beemers. the prototype looks horrid. thankfully, i will be still sticking to manuals.

Last edited by climkt; 08-13-2006 at 11:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2006, 10:33 PM   #6
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by climkt
Joysticks should be left for fighterplanes and computer consoles. would dread the intoduction of auto gear joystick on beemers. lthe prototype looks horrid. thankfully, i will be still sticking to manuals.
Amen brutha.

Joysticks, iDrive knobs, video screens located under cancerous-looking humps in the middle of the dash, runflat tires.. they all need to be relegated to the scrap heap. A couple of years ago I'd have said they need to toss the cupholders too, but I'm softening with age.
      08-13-2006, 10:36 PM   #7
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

Quote:
J lthe prototype looks horrid. thankfully, i will be still sticking to manuals.
What prototype? The only thing that´s been shown was the new automatic shifter, no prototype.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2006, 11:22 PM   #8
climkt
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC
Amen brutha.

Joysticks, iDrive knobs, video screens located under cancerous-looking humps in the middle of the dash, runflat tires.. they all need to be relegated to the scrap heap. A couple of years ago I'd have said they need to toss the cupholders too, but I'm softening with age.
I share your sentiments fully. not a fan of new age gismos, RFTS, idrive, joystick gear knobs.
give me an old fashioned manual stick, spare tyre anytime.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2006, 11:40 PM   #9
climkt
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpira
What prototype? The only thing that´s been shown was the new automatic shifter, no prototype.
just found the x5 joystick knob on german car fans.looks like a new age gadget.does not look ergonomically designed for driving use. it looks similiar to the facelifted 5 series joystick. the base opf the x5 gear stick is different. the facelifted e60 has a m5 smg base plate.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2006, 11:53 PM   #10
jocamryn
Major
Rep
Drives: '23X4 M40i/'24 X2(In Transit)

Quote:
I share your sentiments fully. not a fan of new age gismos, RFTS, idrive, joystick gear knobs.
give me an old fashioned manual stick, spare tyre anytime.
We don't use cranks to start our cars anymore people.... The future is here, gone are the days of carburetors and big block V-8s and 8 track players.

Embrace it! lol
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2006, 12:00 AM   #11
akhbhaat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M318ti Type-R Turbo S

Quote:
Amen brutha.

+1
      08-14-2006, 12:02 AM   #12
climkt
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocamryn
We don't use cranks to start our cars anymore people.... The future is here, gone are the days of carburetors and big block V-8s and 8 track players.

Embrace it! lol
sorry mate, i agree with u we don't use cranks now. but RFT and idrive, joystick gear knobs still not my cup of tea. i am all for innovation in engine design and performance, but i hate gadgets that dilute the driving experience. like driving to be a raw, back to basics. for this reason, i hate auto and SMG.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2006, 12:03 AM   #13
akhbhaat
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocamryn
Technology is fine. Technology that interferes with the driving experience is not. There's an inherent thrill in having nothing more than you, the mechanical beast, and the road. Wanna know why I like DSC so much? Because it can be turned off.

If I'm eventually going to be stuck with a transportation pod, I want a reliable transportation pod. That will be the day I buy a Toyota.
      08-14-2006, 12:13 AM   #14
climkt
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhbhaat
Technology is fine. Technology that interferes with the driving experience is not.
well said, my friend.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2006, 12:25 AM   #15
BenMW
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2007 330i coupe  [0.00]
2002 325ci  [0.00]
I think maybe since i am young that I love all the new gadgets that they are putting in the cars. Also since I have never had a manual car and barely know anyone with one. I dont think about how its not a true car anymore with all the new gadgets

Thanks for the video I loved it.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2006, 12:35 AM   #16
SapphireBlackG01
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 X3, Formerly ‘06 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
on the twin turbo Z4 idea, why not just get the M coupe

surely the X5 stuff will all trickle into the next body style 3, in 6 more years
The two engines are totally different.

It's like the 335i vs M3 argument.
Guy #1: "Hanz, I know zee window switches have always been next to zee shifter in zee 3er cars, but I think ve should move them to zee door!"
Guy #2: "But zee doors are already designed and ve do not have time to re-design them!"
Guy #1: "Just make it verk or you vill be verking over at VW!"
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2006, 12:39 AM   #17
SapphireBlackG01
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Amen brutha.

lol, spare me.

Lets do away with stability control, traction control, seat belts (they interfere with with my shoulders when i'm trying to lean into a curve), hell the rack and pinion steering can go too, and we'll throw out the four-wheel disc brakes and ABS along with 'em.

airbags too! needless weight and complexity!
Guy #1: "Hanz, I know zee window switches have always been next to zee shifter in zee 3er cars, but I think ve should move them to zee door!"
Guy #2: "But zee doors are already designed and ve do not have time to re-design them!"
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2006, 12:46 AM   #18
SapphireBlackG01
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhbhaat
There's an inherent thrill in having nothing more than you, the mechanical beast, and the road.
There an inherent thrill in bashing someone's face in with a bat when they insult you too. That hardly makes it better. While I will agree that it's a totally different scenario from what you described, I had to mention it to highlight the fact that your claim isn't entirely logical.

Okay, so you enjoy rowing your own gears. Great, I'm happy for you. You can still get a manual.

Meanwhile, those of us who do buy some of their cars with automatics will enjoy the benefits of this new steptronic compared to the old one: an electrical shift assembly, faster shifts, more aggressive tuning, etc. The same goes for those with navigation. You don't like it? Fine - Don't use it. The rest of us will be just fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2006, 01:52 AM   #19
akhbhaat
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxpaintmepunkxx
There an inherent thrill in bashing someone's face in with a bat when they insult you too. That hardly makes it better. While I will agree that it's a totally different scenario from what you described, I had to mention it to highlight the fact that your claim isn't entirely logical.
Logical? This sort of disagreement cannot be objectively argued or contested - there's no place for logic here. I feel one way, you feel another, and neither can be proven right or wrong. That's all there is to be said.

Quote:
Okay, so you enjoy rowing your own gears. Great, I'm happy for you. You can still get a manual.

Meanwhile, those of us who do buy some of their cars with automatics will enjoy the benefits of this new steptronic compared to the old one: an electrical shift assembly, faster shifts, more aggressive tuning, etc. The same goes for those with navigation. You don't like it? Fine - Don't use it. The rest of us will be just fine.
Shifting the transmission is a small part of the entire equation. Even when I'm commuting, driving is a hobby and a diversion to me; all I care about is having fun. I like to feel the steering, hear the engine, and feel the gearbox. Driving a car with an automatic transmission, a quarter ton of sound insulation and effortless steering which is packed to the ceiling with intrusive gadgets is not fun to me - it's annoying, or dull at best. Of course, I know people who would say that relaxing in the car and letting it drive itself is a source of pleasure (fun) to them. Their prerogative, naturally.

As I was saying, there's no way in hell I'm going to waste my money on an overpriced BMW if it doesn't offer the visceral thrills I personally desire. Since more and more of these thrills are disappearing with each subsequent generation of what used to be one of my favorite cars (the 3 series), it should be easy to understand why I've become so critical of this company over the past three years. I don't care for the badge or the brand premium, and I'll get a more complete and reliable package for less money from a Japanese company if I'm looking for a rolling electronic wonder. Six years ago, there was no question what I was to buy if I wanted a RWD sedan with some sporting characteristics. I still drive the result of the decision today. Now, however, I wouldn't have a clue where to start, because there are a ton of possibilities on the market and they're all beginning to resemble one another in more ways than one.

My question is this: what draws you to the BMW marque?
      08-14-2006, 02:39 AM   #20
THE JEDI
Major
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 2.5i

Don't know about you guys but damn the X5 is prettty and the interior wooo weee sweet now if they can make the 3 series a little more friendly...still looks all about business but this time looks like she say hey cmere big boy..I like it it's hot
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2006, 03:05 AM   #21
JonMad
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320d SE;Mazda MX-5

Garage List
1990 Mazda MX-5  [0.00]
2005 BMW 320d  [0.00]
Quote:
all I care about is having fun. I like to feel the steering, hear the engine, and feel the gearbox
Quote:
As I was saying, there's no way in hell I'm going to waste my money on an overpriced BMW if it doesn't offer the visceral thrills I personally desire.
Buy a Caterham 7 or something like that. The so-called thrills of a 3 series are nothing in comparison.

On topic: X5 interior - looks quite nice and I'd be intrigued about the joystick thing.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2006, 11:26 PM   #22
climkt
Singapore
Rep

do u guys think the new bmw step knob is hideous or a techno marvel?

The x5 dashboard without the joystick looks great as usual. good teutonic build, classy, clear simple dials.
this x5 may not have a manual version after all and we have to live with THAT THING!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0