E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > DC-area - need new tire tomorrow, any recs?

06-11-2009, 09:04 PM   #1
MikeMidd
Thrillin' and billin'
Rep
Drives: Three-Three-Five

DC-area - need new tire tomorrow, any recs?

Am supposed to head out of town tomorrow afternoon for a funeral (400+mi each way).

Driving home tonight from work, TPMS warning. Yep, screw in front tire (335 ZSP, 18 inchers, Bridgestone).

Really want to get on the road tomorrow, as opposed to Saturday morning.

Any recommendations on who around here will have best pricing on tires and has good availability? I'm going to call around, but thought I'd ask the group.

(Am fuming mad right now. This is not what I wanted to deal with.)
      06-11-2009, 09:42 PM   #2
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

radial tire, silver spring

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 10:29 PM   #3
MikeMidd
Thrillin' and billin'
Rep

Thanks man. Will give them a call tomorrow.
      06-12-2009, 02:34 AM   #4
Flyingfart
Just as when I found my car, they changed it.
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90-330i

Think twice taking a car again Radial tires, they do mass install using alligator jacks and uncaring labor force.

They have no lifts, mass cars are closely parked side by side with mechanic dragging these alligators jack between them that makes your eyes bulge. One guy wasnt even sure of my car jack points. Id had to watch closely my car doesnt get hurt and supervise guys while they forget where they place my BMW valve caps

Id be worried bringing my car again to radial tires at silvers springs and say never again!
They are the Earl Shibe of tire intalls in my book
You think Im kidding.. just do yourself a favor and visit them

Last edited by Flyingfart; 06-12-2009 at 02:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 08:42 AM   #5
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingfart View Post
Think twice taking a car again Radial tires, they do mass install using alligator jacks and uncaring labor force.

They have no lifts, mass cars are closely parked side by side with mechanic dragging these alligators jack between them that makes your eyes bulge. One guy wasnt even sure of my car jack points. Id had to watch closely my car doesnt get hurt and supervise guys while they forget where they place my BMW valve caps

Id be worried bringing my car again to radial tires at silvers springs and say never again!
you're right about it being a bare bones facility, but they get you in and out pretty quickly, have great pricing w/ CCA discount (and can match any price), and have never done anything wrong to my cars throughout the years. there maybe a few new techs there, but they've been highly regarded for years. when you call, ask for Paul

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 08:44 AM   #6
ScottinSSMD
Looking for a track car
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi wagon

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
+1 on the Radial Tire comments. I would and do buy tires from them all the time, but I would not have mounted for the exact same reason. Just visit the place. Packed waiting room, ESPECIALLY Saturday morning. Pump the work out and you can barely walk out the door without rubbing against someones car.
      06-12-2009, 10:47 AM   #7
Spacegray335i
BimmerPost Supporting Buyer
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: Me Nuts

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingfart View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseto View Post
you're right about it being a bare bones facility, but they get you in and out pretty quickly, have great pricing w/ CCA discount (and can match any price), and have never done anything wrong to my cars throughout the years. there maybe a few new techs there, but they've been highly regarded for years. when you call, ask for Paul

I can't agree anymore with Flyingfart's comment. Even though if you ask for a person to take care of you up front, it is still up to the tech how he likes to handle it. I had my other car installed a set of tires last year. The tech was bitching and cussing to me from the beginning till the end. He gave me all these crap about "the wheels don't the fit the car" (yes, i have aftermarket brakes; that might push out a little and less hub to bite on) I was telling him about the vibration and he then starts cursing like no other again. VERY UN-PROFESSIONAL --two thumbs down.

I might be a newbie but I don't think a on car balance can be as accurate as a hunter GPS machine. I would just go somewhere else as this tire shop definitely performs like a "pit-stop"---speed w/out accuracy. I just don't feel safe to let those nasty attitude techs handling my car. Wait is also like a biatch as the alley is always filled with cars.
      06-12-2009, 03:32 PM   #8
pford
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi 6MT

just patch it...i ran 50,000 miles on my last car after a screw pierced it at 3,000miles
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 05:27 PM   #9
ScottinSSMD
Looking for a track car
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi wagon

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
I was assuming this is a runflat, that's why you want a new one? if not, then hell yeah patch it.
      06-12-2009, 05:37 PM   #10
Jimspeed
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

i have 2 plugged runflats on my car with over 16k miles.

screw replacing 400 dollar tires for a nail.. LOL
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 07:31 PM   #11
Flyingfart
Just as when I found my car, they changed it.
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90-330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacegray335i View Post
I can't agree anymore with Flyingfart's comment. Even though if you ask for a person to take care of you up front, it is still up to the tech how he likes to handle it. I had my other car installed a set of tires last year. The tech was bitching and cussing to me from the beginning till the end. He gave me all these crap about "the wheels don't the fit the car" (yes, i have aftermarket brakes; that might push out a little and less hub to bite on) I was telling him about the vibration and he then starts cursing like no other again. VERY UN-PROFESSIONAL --two thumbs down.

I might be a newbie but I don't think a on car balance can be as accurate as a hunter GPS machine. I would just go somewhere else as this tire shop definitely performs like a "pit-stop"---speed w/out accuracy. I just don't feel safe to let those nasty attitude techs handling my car. Wait is also like a biatch as the alley is always filled with cars.
im glad someone else can relate, they hire goons to intimdate you, if you speak up you are at their mercy.. since they have your car.

In pay a little more next time for the piece of mind and not having an unnerving experience. The only reason they are on the map is bcoz they let anyone be a sponsor of a car club and the owner is buddy with some club folks.

since the JURY IS OUT ON THIS, I SAY STAY AWAY!!!
      06-13-2009, 03:15 PM   #12
MikeMidd
Thrillin' and billin'
Rep

Ended up taking it to Tischer. Had to replace because of screw + bubble in same tire, sorry, forgot to mention that in the original post. Would've been fine with just screw, but the combo made me want to deal with it.

Was in and out in 45 minutes, appreciated the guys there taking care of it quickly on a busy Friday.
      06-18-2009, 09:59 AM   #13
dinkoh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 lemon/black

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseto View Post
WTF? CCA discount? Dude, have I been paying full price?!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2009, 10:58 AM   #14
the2rz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Had the same issue last night. Found a bubble on the drivers front and had it repaired at BMW of Sterling. Quick service (~1hr) and $350+ later I've got another RFT.
Appreciate 0