E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > New Manual Driver - How Easy is BMW to Drive Manual

08-18-2006, 10:02 PM   #1
newbiebimmer
Rep
Drives: Benz

New Manual Driver - How Easy is BMW to Drive Manual

Hi All,

I really love this board it has given me a lot of insight and I will soon be a new BMW owner in about 3 weeks, ordered 330i w SP, PP, manual, AW, can't wait. After years of being an automatic driver I have decided with this car that I get a manual problem is that I never have and the last thing that I want to do is pick up my car and embarass the @#$#$ out of myself. Thankfully a friend of mine is willing to take me out over the next few weeks to get me familiar with stick shifting, but I was wondering if the manual on Bimmers are easier, better or driver friendly than other vehicles and secondly how long should a new driver like myself pick things up providing I get the right practice in beforehand. What I'm thinking is get behind my friend's manual car as much as possible and then go back and test drive a 330i before I actually pick my baby up. Any advice or thoughts on how long most of you took to get comfortable with their e90's stick and has stalling it been a big deal. I just hear that initially the clutch and tranny will be stiff and tight until break in but how much more difficult would this make for driving for a new manual driver like myself. Thanks everyone!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2006, 10:11 PM   #2
froman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 550i Sport Space Gray

Good call on the manual. It's the way a 3er is meant to be! The clutch is fairly firm, but the takeup point is pretty close to the floor so it's easy to drive it hard while staying smooth. The shifter is a little bit notchy, but far from annoying. Overall, my wife's Mini S is a little more fun to shift than my 325, but it's a a pretty close race. Just practice shifting without slipping the clutch. That will wear the clutch out pretty fast.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2006, 10:19 PM   #3
Chesmu
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
the clutch on the 3er is pretty forgiving, ie. it has en early release piont, and an early engage point.... so stalling is a lot less frequent. Just practice as much as you can and know that it takes a couple of months to really get the hang of shifting.... oh and the engine makes a pretty noise when you down shift.

08-18-2006, 10:27 PM   #4
newbiebimmer
Rep

clutch slipping? Is that when you have the clutch pushed in and you are not shifting? Also I have read that you should only engage the clutch when you are shifting or coming to a stop (to put in neutral), but i also hear some people engage their clutch and brake at the same time is that riding the clutch? What I would do is that as I'm coming to a stop (slowing down), I'd downshift and brake either simultaneously or in sequence and then put it in neutral as I come to a near stop. But what if you just engage clutch (press down) and brake at the same time? I know this sounds somewhat novice to those of you who are manual drivers, but if you can advise would be great.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2006, 10:59 PM   #5
froman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 550i Sport Space Gray

clutch slipping is when you are pressing the accelerator while slowly letting the clutch out (instead of just getting it over with), so the effect is that the clutch is sort of half-engaged, half disengaged while you are revving up the engine. It's handy to get a good launch for a drag race, but some people (like my wife LOL) do it all the time when they are taking off from a standstill. If you're not good at shifting, it's a crutch you use to keep from driving all jerky. It will wear the clutch out really fast!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2006, 11:36 PM   #6
hotsand5
hotsand5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i 6spd

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
The easiest and the most forgiving manual trans. that I have ever drivin...and I have experienced about a dozen different manual cars from vette z06 and porsche 911 and boxster to a beater acura integra and nissan sentra. The 3 just has a really light clutch, with a lot of travel and a non-obsessive realease point. A great car to learn how to drive stick in....of course, start a "buy a new clutch" fund...if you don't have the basics down though!

-2005 Yamaha Warrior 1700 102cu"
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2006, 11:47 PM   #7
Refujeet
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7

You should work out a deal with your dealer to teach you over the next couple of weeks. That's what my girlfriend did before she took delivery of her car. It doesn't hurt to ask...
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2006, 11:54 PM   #8
sblument
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
this transmission is easy to drive. the transmission in my old 1998 honda civic was more difficult. You'll love it!
      08-19-2006, 12:00 AM   #9
BeeEmDubU
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 325i

i felt my 02 civic was much much easier to learn on. the clutch in my civic was really really soft and the clutch throw wasn't nearly as long as the 3 series.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2006, 05:03 AM   #10
MeTaL
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: E90 320D

I'm gonna pick up my 320 on monday, but I have a rather embarrasing question... How do you shift into reverse ? On my VW Golf IV, I had to push the shifter down and then into reverse. Is it the same on the bmw ?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2006, 06:05 AM   #11
espo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Reverse is to the LEFT of first... It's strange if your not used to it. There is essentially another spring at the boundry of first/reverse that you have to push pretty hard left to get past. From netrual push left, that get's you to the 1/2 row on the shifter, then push left AGAIN just harder this time, that will get you to reverse.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2006, 06:07 AM   #12
MeTaL
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Oh ok Thanks for that, wouldn't want to look like an absolute noobie at monday
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2006, 06:12 AM   #13
espo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeTaL
Oh ok Thanks for that, wouldn't want to look like an absolute noobie at monday
BTW I found this out the hard way... Went to test drive a 325i manual after driving a foreign 5 speed where reverse is below 5th. I put the car in first to start off, but then though that was reverese (didn't know about the second spring). I then put it back in neutral and to what I thought was first, but it actually was third... Started to let out the clutch, and bam... STALL!! Right at the dealers... Got a look from one of the other sales guys on the lot...

I then realized the shift pattern and where reverse really is..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2006, 06:46 AM   #14
MeTaL
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Oh yeah...just in case I do stall it on the first ride home.. How do you start the engine again ? I read you have to push the start button once for iDrive to boot and push a second time to start the engine.

Do you just push the start button again in case you stall the car ? I've never driven a car with a start button, just the normal turn the key
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2006, 08:28 AM   #15
newbiebimmer
Rep

I'm curious if you burn out your clutch will it be covered under warranty, I mean if an auto tranny is faulty, I'm assuming they would replace under warranty, but what about manuals, how do they determine whether it was you or a malfunction of plates or parts. BTW how much would it cost to replace clutch if dealer determined that driver was at fault?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2006, 08:36 AM   #16
Gearcraft
misadventurer
Philippines
Rep
Drives: bubbie mystic blue whale

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbiebimmer
Hi All,
, but I was wondering if the manual on Bimmers are easier, better or driver friendly than other vehicles and secondly how long should a new driver like myself pick things up providing I get the right practice in beforehand.
oh yeah. they're a lot easier. hills are not even a problem.

you'll enjoy your car.
      08-19-2006, 09:30 AM   #17
DDTAN
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i E90 ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbiebimmer
I'm curious if you burn out your clutch will it be covered under warranty, I mean if an auto tranny is faulty, I'm assuming they would replace under warranty, but what about manuals, how do they determine whether it was you or a malfunction of plates or parts. BTW how much would it cost to replace clutch if dealer determined that driver was at fault?
Don't worry about it. I have driven manual's for most of my life and I have never worn out a clutch under 120,000 miles, including the time I was learning. You'll slip the clutch the first few months, but in the long run it won't make a difference. (Bet's off if you race)
You'll go through several sets of brake pads before the clutch goes.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2006, 09:36 AM   #18
hotsand5
hotsand5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i 6spd

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Clutch not included in the warrenty.....but I have heard that if you have a pretty good rep. w/ the service guys, they can coax bmw to cover the first incident for you!!! I know that's the same with GM and Volkswagen.

-2005 Yamaha Warrior 1700 102cu"
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2006, 10:19 AM   #19
tirana
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 6MT + F25 35i AT

Rent a manual over a w/end. If you are not confident about driving a manual, especially in traffic, then this practice will avoid sweats in your new car. You'll soon pick it up. The most difficult change is from first to second since that's the biggest gearing/torque change. The others are simple even for learners (don't use 6 unless on a freeway since its an overdrive - my mother changes from 2 to 5 and it makes me cringe.... not to mention the transmission). Try to avoid hill starts (facing up) initially too. Since this requires careful dexterity in releasing the handbrake just as the clutch transfers enough torque to the wheels to adjust for the weight of the car rolling backwards. Done properly, its very smooth but judging from sitting behind cars in traffic, few people actually do this properly.

Driving a manual transmission is a lot more fun than an auto (IMHO) since you've more active choices to make. The downside is its much more difficult to do other things like reading a newspaper, emailing on your Blackberry or eating breakfast (just watch out for the bozos trying these things on the road.....).
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2006, 11:19 AM   #20
BeeEmDubU
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirana
...Try to avoid hill starts (facing up) initially too. Since this requires careful dexterity in releasing the handbrake just as the clutch transfers enough torque to the wheels to adjust for the weight of the car rolling backwards. Done properly, its very smooth but judging from sitting behind cars in traffic, few people actually do this properly....
theres a feature in the US that holds the car still for 2 seconds by applying the handbrake automatically. so unless this feature isnt available in europe, you wont have to worry about this.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2006, 11:41 AM   #21
tirana
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 6MT + F25 35i AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeEmDubU
theres a feature in the US that holds the car still for 2 seconds by applying the handbrake automatically. so unless this feature isnt available in europe, you wont have to worry about this.
Pah, that takes the fun/skill out of it.... And, hopefully, the brake disengages intelligently as the clutch transfers torque, not just after two seconds (or there'll be degradation of the clutch).
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2006, 04:31 PM   #22
espo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirana
Rent a manual over a w/end. If you are not confident about driving a manual, especially in traffic, then this practice will avoid sweats in your new car.
I found that none of the major rental car places rents manual cars in the US. I looked for the same reason, but alias, no joy.
Appreciate 0