E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 335 Test Drive - 3 Comments (not a review)

09-11-2006, 07:54 PM   #1
wyrm11
///Man of Steel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco 335

335 Test Drive - 3 Comments (not a review)

I'm sure you guys are all sick of the reviews, and they've all been done pretty in-depth already so I just thought I'd address some of the issues that have been of some interest on this board.

I drove a titanium silver auto with paddles and my friend drive space grey/red leather/manual/sp.

1) Turbo Lag - There was virtually no lag at the lower speeds up to about 45-50 mph, but once I tried to punch it past 60mph, there was a slight lag before it took off. But man, once it took off...that thing is an animal.

2) Backseat Space - It's really quite comfortable back there. My friend likes to sit back with the seat reclined and I made it a point to sit behind him. Neither of us are tall but I've sat in several coupes and the 335 was noticably roomier than most.

3) Gray Poplar Trim - definitely has some brown in it. I know someone was asking about this before and I had hoped it was more grey/black, but it does seem brownish. Still looks pretty nice though.

I didn't want to write yet another review so feel free to ask me if you have any questions.

Overall, the car was amazing!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2006, 07:56 PM   #2
Traceaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M550i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyrm11
3) Gray Poplar Trim - definitely has some brown in it. I know someone was asking about this before and I had hoped it was more grey/black, but it does seem brownish. Still looks pretty nice though.
Argh! I was afraid of that. I guess Ill go with Brushed Aluminum then. Looks a little sportier anyway.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2006, 08:08 PM   #3
MMakoto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: lookin'

i think u're the first guy to say there's a turbo lag in the 335i. could it be just the auto trans?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2006, 08:09 PM   #4
fibercus
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I didnt notice brown in it - thats interesting. Ill have to take a second look up close.

also if you consider that turbo lag, then the 325's 330's are ALWAYS in turbo lag - haha. 300 tq can still be felt at the speed in a high gear.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2006, 08:18 PM   #5
dejav0o
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibercus
also if you consider that turbo lag, then the 325's 330's are ALWAYS in turbo lag - haha. 300 tq can still be felt at the speed in a high gear.
Agreed... the 335 has enough low end power that it doesn't feel like there's a lag. You defintely do feel the turbo kick in at higher rpms, but before that there's plenty of power for...

And I love the backseats in that car.... it is really comfortable, and hugs you at all the right places.

Now I totally regret going to the dealer just to "look at it".
      09-11-2006, 08:37 PM   #6
wyrm11
///Man of Steel
United_States
Rep

I don't want to make it sound like there's a ton of brown on it. I had just expected it to be purely gray/black and that didn't really seem to be the case. I had to look twice to make sure it was indeed the gray poplar.

As for the lag, it's not like there was this huge lag, very minor. My friend who drove the manual said he felt there was a slight lag as well. And like I said, at the lower RPMs, there was virtually no lag...probably thanks to the torque.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2006, 08:45 PM   #7
liquid
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: graphite 328i E92

wyrm.

I was thinking getting grey with black leatherette and Sparkling Graphite or
Titanium Silver. How do you think it would look?

Thanks,
James
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2006, 09:06 PM   #8
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Here's a picture taken by RLC of what wyrm11 is talking about (pic of gray poplar wood trim).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2006, 10:03 PM   #9
Schweitzer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 CP

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
That doesn't look at all like the pics on the BMW site, which looks really gray. That pic above really looks brown brown.
      09-11-2006, 10:03 PM   #10
DerekS
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 X3 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason
Here's a picture taken by RLC of what wyrm11 is talking about (pic of gray poplar wood trim).
This photo shows grey poplar as more brown than grey. The one example of grey poplar that I saw was the opposite of this photo; it had a predominant grey tone with just tiny areas of brown. I wonder if this trim varies in tone. Most people who have seen it describe it as an attractive, grey toned trim. A few folks say they see it as similar to the above photo. Perhaps, the question will not be solved until several coupes with grey poplar are viewed together. Has any member seen more than one example of grey poplar trim at the same time ?
      09-11-2006, 10:25 PM   #11
Barry626
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Coming: 2012 135i

Quote:
This is not gray poplar it's just poplar which has brown in it.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2006, 10:52 PM   #12
Straz M3
Never Lose
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry626
This is not gray poplar it's just poplar which has brown in it.
Incorrect...that is indeed grey poplar under some intense light aka a flash from the camera...
      09-12-2006, 02:13 AM   #13
wyrm11
///Man of Steel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid
wyrm.

I was thinking getting grey with black leatherette and Sparkling Graphite or
Titanium Silver. How do you think it would look?

Thanks,
James
James, if you want a dark interior, the gray should go fine with the black leatherette. It's not so brown where you'd really notice, and I'm sure the black leather might make it look even darker. Obviously you should see it in person before ordering.

Quote:
Thanks for putting some visual aids in the thread Jason. I do have to say though that the gray I saw didn't look nearly that brown. Like Straz said, that pic is the trim under intense light and it's not likely you'll ever see it in that perspective. Under normal lighting you just get a hint of brown...it's still mostly gray/black.

I was a little disappointed since I'm considering gray leather with the gray poplar trim...but not so disappointed that I changed my mind.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2006, 02:30 AM   #14
fnu02
King
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bugatti

Quote:

I don't understand why they would call it "GRAY POPLAR" then....

I originally thought it would be a grayish smokey black look, which would

look awesome with black leather. Now I'm leaning towards the piano black

trim, that looks very clean, smooth and classy... here's a pic with piano

black trim. Even though it's black it's a different black than the car's interior

so I think it would great with black leather interior. The second pic is black

leather int and gray poplar trim, or should I say brown poplar trim???
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2006, 02:35 AM   #15
wyrm11
///Man of Steel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnu02
I don't understand why they would call it "GRAY POPLAR" then....

I originally thought it would be a grayish smokey black look, which would

look awesome with black leather. Now I'm leaning towards the piano black

trim, that looks very clean, smooth and classy... here's a pic..
Well it is still gray...it just ALSO has a brownish tint to it. There's no mistaking it for the other wood trim options though.

The pic you posted is a trim that as far as I know, isn't available in the US. Otherwise it'd be a no brainer for me.

I think others have said you can order it as a BMW iindividual option...but man that'd cost ya.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2006, 02:38 AM   #16
fnu02
King
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well it is still gray...it just ALSO has a brownish tint to it. There's no mistaking it for the other wood trim options though.

The pic you posted is a trim that as far as I know, isn't available in the US. Otherwise it'd be a no brainer for me.

I think others have said you can order it as a BMW iindividual option...but man that'd cost ya.

Yeah I know, but it seems that the brownish takes over the whole look of

the trim... how much would it cost to just add a different trim, which

are no cost options????
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2006, 07:03 AM   #17
OVRSTR
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Those two photos are the most brown, grey poplar photos I've seen. I have seen it where it looked MUCH more grey than that. Considering my order is already in for jet black/black w/grey poplar...I sure hope the pictures are being influence by the flash as others have stated. If not....
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2006, 07:10 AM   #18
Zeroday
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Plymouth Volare

i dunno i kinda like the look of it with a little brown...my 02 acura cl type s had all grey fake wood trim...kinda reminded me of a bowling ball. This looks richer to me with some real wood coloring along with the grey.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2006, 08:32 AM   #19
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

I've been in three cars with the gray poplar; it is much more grey/black in person that in those high light photos. I am sure in some light it will show some brown (direct sunlight), but remember; off camera flashes are not going to be pointed at your trim all day.

Now I hate, hate, hate wood trim, and the gray poplar actually looked decent to me. Very unique wood grain pattern, nice and subtle color.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2006, 09:11 AM   #20
sstarch1
From Russia With Boost
Rep
Drives: E92 335i - Vroom

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Going 79mph in 6th gear, that car will do anything you want. Just ask fellow drivers of the indiana toll road. hehehe
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2006, 10:02 AM   #21
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroday
kinda reminded me of a bowling ball.
LOL - I hadn't thought of that, but now that's all I will be able to think of when I see that color.
      09-12-2006, 02:02 PM   #22
fnu02
King
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVRSTR
Those two photos are the most brown, grey poplar photos I've seen. I have seen it where it looked MUCH more grey than that. Considering my order is already in for jet black/black w/grey poplar...I sure hope the pictures are being influence by the flash as others have stated. If not....

That's the same configuration I'm getting. I like where your head's at...

however, how do you feel about jet black/black leather int/ and piano black

trim???
Appreciate 0