E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > How long does ED take once I land in Munich?

09-19-2006, 11:24 PM   #1
rgoel
Rep
Drives: None

How long does ED take once I land in Munich?

I'm finalizing the plans for my ED pickup. This will be my first time. I wanted to get some advice from the pros on how the process works once I land in Munich. I'll probably get there Sunday night for a Monday pickup.

From all the posts, I figured out to call Rolf to go from the hotel to the delivery center.

Questions:
- How long does it take from downtown Munich to the delivery center?
- What time should I arrive at the delivery center?
- How long does it take to pickup the car and do the paperwork once I arrive at the delivery center?
- Is there a factory tour or anything like that? If so, how long does that take?
- How long does it take to drive to the drop-off center in Munich from the delivery center? (I'm planning on driving around a day or two but in case I have to cut it short for business reasons).
- Is it impossible to fly out the same day that I do the pick-up on a 3:50pm flight from Munich? Would need to get to the airport by 2pm. I know it's crazy not to make a vacation out of it, but I'm just planning a worst case scenario here in case I have to make an early exit for work reasons.

Slightly different question:
- If I tell the dealer that I want to pick the car up on a specific day, and then end up not being able to pick it up until a few days later, is that a problem? How many days of "wiggle room" do I have?

Any other advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2006, 10:44 AM   #2
Matsola
Rep
Drives: e90

i have a 12/15 pick up of my 335i...you have no wiggle room.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2006, 10:46 AM   #3
Matsola
Rep
Drives: e90

have you picked up your car?...if yes can you share your experience?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2006, 01:25 PM   #4
rrandyy
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgoel
Questions:
1. How long does it take from downtown Munich to the delivery center?
2. What time should I arrive at the delivery center?
3. How long does it take to pickup the car and do the paperwork once I arrive at the delivery center?
4. Is there a factory tour or anything like that? If so, how long does that take?
5. How long does it take to drive to the drop-off center in Munich from the delivery center? (I'm planning on driving around a day or two but in case I have to cut it short for business reasons).
6. Is it impossible to fly out the same day that I do the pick-up on a 3:50pm flight from Munich? Would need to get to the airport by 2pm. I know it's crazy not to make a vacation out of it, but I'm just planning a worst case scenario here in case I have to make an early exit for work reasons.

7. If I tell the dealer that I want to pick the car up on a specific day, and then end up not being able to pick it up until a few days later, is that a problem? How many days of "wiggle room" do I have?

First off, let me say that I took the subway to the delivery center-- it was about $4 and *extremely* easy. It was a 100 yard walk from the station to BMW.

1. Not sure about how long it takes...
2. They are open from 7:30am to 3:30am, so get there whenever works for you.
3. It takes about 1 hour 15mins. 30 minutes of that was waiting to be called. The other 45 minutes was signing papers and taking pictures.
4. Factory tour is available but you need to register ahead of time. I dont have the details for registration.
5. I didnt drive straight from deliver to dropoff, but it was in the same vicinity. I would say 30mins about. It takes about another 30 mins to fill out paperwork to drop off the car.
6. Yes, it is possible. Get there early in the morning, drive around for an hour, then drive to the drop-off center, catch a cab (or bus+subway like me) back to Munich (or the airport) and you're good to go. You could probably catch a noon flight if you really wanted to.

7. There is no wiggle room unless something out of your control happens--such as flight gets canceled, etc. Then, I believe you will be schedule for the next available day.

Other advice: When you go to drop off the car in Munich, drive to the end of the street that that dropoff is on and then make a left to go *up* a big ramp. There are no huge signs saying "BMW Drop-off". Its just a small office in a bigger 3 or so story office building. Finding the ramp at the end of the street is the key to finding the dropoff location. Took me and another fellow ED'er 15mins to figure that out

Another suggestion is to read through the European Delivery forum at bimmerfest. There is a lot of good info there.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2006, 01:51 PM   #5
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgoel
I'm finalizing the plans for my ED pickup. This will be my first time. I wanted to get some advice from the pros on how the process works once I land in Munich. I'll probably get there Sunday night for a Monday pickup.

From all the posts, I figured out to call Rolf to go from the hotel to the delivery center.

Questions:
- How long does it take from downtown Munich to the delivery center?
- What time should I arrive at the delivery center?
- How long does it take to pickup the car and do the paperwork once I arrive at the delivery center?
- Is there a factory tour or anything like that? If so, how long does that take?
- How long does it take to drive to the drop-off center in Munich from the delivery center? (I'm planning on driving around a day or two but in case I have to cut it short for business reasons).
- Is it impossible to fly out the same day that I do the pick-up on a 3:50pm flight from Munich? Would need to get to the airport by 2pm. I know it's crazy not to make a vacation out of it, but I'm just planning a worst case scenario here in case I have to make an early exit for work reasons.

- If I tell the dealer that I want to pick the car up on a specific day, and then end up not being able to pick it up until a few days later, is that a problem? How many days of "wiggle room" do I have?

rrandyy answered most of the questions, so the only think I'll add is from downtown/altstadt it's probably 30-45 min on a regular workday, 20-30min on a light traffic day. It's not very far but you're in a city.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2006, 11:46 AM   #6
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

No need to bother Rolf unless you have panic attacks in foreign countries. I would definitely recommend the U-bahn (subway). Fast and easy. Maybe 3 minutes walk from Freimann stop to ED center. From there once you pick up your car it's a 15 minute drive to Harms dropoff. It's a bit of a hike from Harms to the closest U-bahn stop, but you can catch a bus or cab going by to it. Suggest using google maps to see everything before you drive/walk it, it's so easy once you see exactly where you are going. Likewise recommend using train from airport to downtown and v.v. The only tricky part is figuring out how to get the right ticket out of the machine at the airport, and that does not take much effort. Could you do it in a day? Yes. Get there by 8, drive out by 9:30, at Harms by 10, catch cab directly to airport, and you are there by 11.
Appreciate 0