E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > WINDSHIELD JUST REPLACED... A Few Questions:

10-04-2009, 10:34 AM   #1
NYF32DRIVER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 428i X Drive

WINDSHIELD JUST REPLACED... A Few Questions:

Due to a rock kicked up by a M-F-ing SUV that drifted too close to the divider... I had to replace my windshield yesterday. I have GEICO and Full Glass Coverage (Which means NO deductible.)

Although they are always VERY pleasant, GEICO is still a business and although they assured me I could go to ANY shop of my choice, they STILL tried to push me into using Third Party Glass. ("BMW doesn't make the glass anyway... BUT I can authorize OEM if you REALLY want it")
I have a friend who has an Auto Body shop and he recommended the Glass Installer he uses. It's called Presby's in Valley Stream NY. I dropped my car off at 8am (Saturday) and when I returned at 11:30am the job was completed (with OEM glass) I was informed by the shops owner that I should leave the 2 strips of tape (8" pieces from the top of the windshield to the front of roof) affixed until Monday. He also told me NOT to wash the car during that period.
On my front seat was a piece of paper from "DOW Automotive" informing me that my windshield was bonded with "BETASEAL" and also told me NOT to wash the car, slam the doors and to drive smoothly. I understand from research that "BETASEAL" is one of the best adhesives in use and actually is equal to OEM.

I drove the car home (In the rain of course) and it has now been sitting for 23 hours.

It has been many years since I have had a windshield replaced and after all the HORROR stories I have been reading about leaks, roofs crushing or glass falling out in accidents...

1. How can I tell if the installation was performed correctly ?
2. How long should I REALLY continue to pamper the car ?

Thanks,

Joseph
      10-04-2009, 10:39 AM   #2
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Thanks for the observations, as I expect I'll need this service in the future. I too have GEICO but went for the free repair as I have a $200 deductible.

I paid out-of-pocket on my Nissan for a complete replacement, and I have to admit the Chinese glass seems to be in no way lesser than the OEM Nissan. Already got a nick from a dump truck. The BMW seems to chip much more easily which is why I think I'll need a replacement eventually.

My concerns with the BMW is say the glass is replaced after the warranty had expired, and the rain sensor or mirror doesn't function properly after a replacement. Also, it's good to hear people's stories and strategies on getting OEM glass.....
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 10:42 AM   #3
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

I just had mine replaced this past week and they told me to leave the tape on for 24 hours. Had it done Tuesday and while I haven't driven it all that much, I did drive it in the rain and it seems fine so far. I insisted on OEM glass as well and the glass company picked up the glass at a BMW dealership on the way to my house. It is EXACTLY the same as my original windshield, BMW logo and all. I believe that tape is to prevent the windshield from sliding down while the adhesive is curing...

And BTW - obviously the rain sensor was built into the new glass and it seems to be working just fine. You would not be able to tell the difference at all if you didn't know it was replace. Nice to have a chip-free windshield - at least for a little while!
Appreciate 0