E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > VERY CONFLICTED: 07'-08' 335i coupe vs New 370z

10-04-2009, 04:42 PM   #1
akburst510
Rep
Drives: 07' e92 Space Gray 335i

VERY CONFLICTED: 07'-08' 335i coupe vs New 370z

I am in the market of buying a new car. I have been driving a beater accord for 4 years...it is such a reliable car, but I want to upgrade. I am 20 years old and a University student working for my parents.

I want to spend about $33k.

*Nice performance
*Reliability/No headaches
*DailyDriver-ability
*Tunability
*Looks (both the 370z and the 335i are gorgeous imo...the 135i imo not so)
*Longevity (I am planning on keeping the car for a while...like I did the Honda)
*Love the torque-y nature of the 335i...heard the 370z pulls also.
*4 seats are a bonus, not a necessity.
*Image (I don't know which is worse, a sporty Nissan or a stuck up BMW )
*A friend of mine got a new 335i as a present in Highschool...I had to work for it. He'll think I copied him.
*The 370z is a bargain for what it is. I have been following the e9x series in BMW for a while (I have wanted the 335i since its inception, but this new Nissan is really enticing, especially since I can get a new one.
*Since these are sporty cars, there is a chance that the used BMW was abused, but then again it could not...

If I get the 370z, its probably gonna be a Base with Sports package. The 335i coupe will definitely need the sports package also, but I am more lenient in the luxuries.

The HPFP issues is the biggest turn-off for the 335i. I know it has an auto- extended warranty, but this is going to be my only car. I don't want it to go to the shop often. I want to own the car for a long time.

I don't have a family to carry around, but wouldn't mind the practicality of a 4 seater as long as it is fast.

I am asking the same thing over at the 370z boards.
http://www.the370z.com/nissan-370z-g...tml#post222171

Please be patient with me. I have been lurking these forums for a while and have searched, but I might have missed something.

I am about 50-50 between the two cars.

Thanks for any advice.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 05:01 PM   #2
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

370Z all the way. You care about reliability and seem to plan to keep the car. Image, do people think a car is part of that???? If so, why not a 2004 760Li? Great image and all the time back to the dealership with the Amex out for easy swiping....
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 05:15 PM   #3
thatsosm
Miracle Whip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 AW335i

If the HPFP is your biggest issue, you can buy an upgraded Fuel pump that wont even need to be replaced, through a vendor though. It seems that you are more focused with coupes rather than sedans. I got a sedan because I have always preferred sedans, But either way you cant got wrong with a 335. There is something extra that comes with a BMW vs a japanese car. Assurance that it was designed by german engineers (priceless).
Of course I am biased but thats because this really is a great car. It would cost you $400 to put out close to 100 more hp on the 335, you would pull on stock E9x m3's.
The 370z is a hot car, but IMHO a BMW is way out of the Nissan's league.
      10-04-2009, 05:15 PM   #4
maswastage
Resident Diesel Junkie
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW 335d

The 370z will be less practical and less luxurious, but it will also be the quicker car, if that's what you're looking for. In this case you're comparing used vs new, correct? I always say go with the new. If you could shell out the dough for a new bimmer I'd say go for it, but otherwise stick with the Z.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 05:15 PM   #5
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB E92 - SOLD 5/2010

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Truth be known .......

The number of HPFP failures seems to be many when looking thru this forum. An online forum is limited to information provided by its users therefore the majority of owners in the real world never provide "real world" information.

The first thing that will be posted on a forum (especially an automotive forum) is going to be problems endured with the vehicle. The positives come afterward.

The point I'm making is that the HPFP issues are STILL limited. Not so limited that BMW "totally" ignored them, but limited enough that the issue had to be addressed due to the dealer/owner's outcry. I, as well as MANY other owners here, have NEVER had an issue with the HPFP.

All of that said because you seem to really have just that single point against the BMW. Having owned this BMW for the past 18 months has shown me the good & bad points associated with the car. The bad being nothing more than the poor resale value which at this point is effecting ALL vehicle makers.

The 370Z is sharp .......... I'd still wait a year longer before jumping in one just to be sure the kinks are worked out of the earlier models & to give the aftermarket world a chance to start offering up some goodies for the new model.

I've owned Porsche, MB, Audi & Corvettes ....... the BMW has been the 2nd most fun to modify in lieu of the 'Vette.

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 05:16 PM   #6
akburst510
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
370Z all the way. You care about reliability and seem to plan to keep the car. Image, do people think a car is part of that???? If so, why not a 2004 760Li? Great image and all the time back to the dealership with the Amex out for easy swiping....
Translation? Sorry, I can't seem to figure out if you are being sarcastic in a rude way or in a helpful way.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 05:17 PM   #7
sokdo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

370z. Great track car, does everything you just said, nice car for a young person, you don't have to worry so much about the maintenance costs after warranty especially since your income prob won't be really high, you KNOW there's going to be great aftermarket support for it coming from the Z heritage. Only draw back is how ugly it is without aftermarket parts and 2 seats. Great car though.

The biggest gripe is the 2 seats. If you have friends, it will be a hassle not having the back seats =x. For me, even not having that 5th seat in my e92 is a hassle but yea 370z is a great car for a great price. Plus, you don't see those everywhere like you do the e92 or the 350z.

can you say no to this? =)
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 05:22 PM   #8
cimbali
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

how long is your daily commute? if it is long, say 55-90 miles per day then the BMW would be my choice since it is more comfortable. however, If I had a short commute then I'd probably go for the 370Z or the 135i...
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 05:23 PM   #9
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokdo View Post
370z. Great track car, does everything you just said, nice car for a young person, you don't have to worry so much about the maintenance costs after warranty especially since your income prob won't be really high, you KNOW there's going to be great aftermarket support for it coming from the Z heritage. Only draw back is how ugly it is without aftermarket parts and 2 seats. Great car though.

The biggest gripe is the 2 seats. If you have friends, it will be a hassle not having the back seats =x. For me, even not having that 5th seat in my e92 is a hassle but yea 370z is a great car for a great price. Plus, you don't see those everywhere like you do the e92 or the 350z.

can you say no to this? =)
Of course you don't see them everywhere ....... they're too new to the market!

Considering all of the aftermarket addons & extra costs .......... YUP. Nope.

I'm not biased, but can you honestly say the OEM Z looks better than a comparably equipped BMW?

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 05:26 PM   #10
akburst510
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToadHollow View Post
Truth be known .......

The number of HPFP failures seems to be many when looking thru this forum. An online forum is limited to information provided by its users therefore the majority of owners in the real world never provide "real world" information.

The first thing that will be posted on a forum (especially an automotive forum) is going to be problems endured with the vehicle. The positives come afterward.

The point I'm making is that the HPFP issues are STILL limited. Not so limited that BMW "totally" ignored them, but limited enough that the issue had to be addressed due to the dealer/owner's outcry. I, as well as MANY other owners here, have NEVER had an issue with the HPFP.

All of that said because you seem to really have just that single point against the BMW. Having owned this BMW for the past 18 months has shown me the good & bad points associated with the car. The bad being nothing more than the poor resale value which at this point is effecting ALL vehicle makers.

The 370Z is sharp .......... I'd still wait a year longer before jumping in one just to be sure the kinks are worked out of the earlier models & to give the aftermarket world a chance to start offering up some goodies for the new model.

I've owned Porsche, MB, Audi & Corvettes ....... the BMW has been the 2nd most fun to modify in lieu of the 'Vette.

Thanks for the thoughtful response. I understand this point and have heard it before. Someone mention the likely hood of a HPFP failure in the 10-20% here... always in intervals of 2k miles.

What worries me is that If I go with the e92 335i, I am capping it at $33k...about a $20k drop in 2-3 years/20-30k miles. Now the previous owner could have chipped their car, driven it like a maniac, and magnified the HPFP stress.

HPFP failures will show up in carfax/etc right?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 05:27 PM   #11
DASHOCKER
The power of V!
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe steptronic

Garage List
1998 Lexus Gs400  [0.00]
2010 ebony & ivory  [0.00]
2006 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 pics  [0.00]
2009 e92 335 xdrive  [0.00]
If the parents are paying for everything then get the 335.. Hell, at 20 years of age, I was driving an old Toyota.. Lucky child..
      10-04-2009, 05:32 PM   #12
thatsosm
Miracle Whip
United_States
Rep

IMHO after seeing the 350z, the 370z is nothing more than an improved 350z, and I never quite liked them. HPFP really is not an issue, most of us deal with it because we don't want to shell out our own money on it. But if you do buy it once, You wont have any problems with it.
      10-04-2009, 05:33 PM   #13
akburst510
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASHOCKER View Post
If the parents are paying for everything then get the 335.. Hell, at 20 years of age, I was driving an old Toyota.. Lucky child..
My parents are spotting me $10k. I have enough to pay for college and finance. I am living at home like a loser (but really a winner since I am saving SO MUCH commuting to college). The commute is roughly 50-80 miles over a weekday/schoolday.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 05:34 PM   #14
sokdo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToadHollow View Post
Of course you don't see them everywhere ....... they're too new to the market!

Considering all of the aftermarket addons & extra costs .......... YUP. Nope.

I'm not biased, but can you honestly say the OEM Z looks better than a comparably equipped BMW?
"Only draw back is how ugly it is without aftermarket parts "

Read my entire post. Besides, no where did I say that the Z looks better than a BMW I love my 335i e92 to SHIT and with mtech/aero lip + rims + drop, it is the SEXIEST car out imo. Hence the reason why I drive a e92 and not a Z but for this guy though I'm saying the 370z is a helluvacar given his limited income and his tuning wishes. Honestly you have to admit, tuning a BMW is not wallet friendly
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 05:35 PM   #15
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by akburst510 View Post
Thanks for the thoughtful response. I understand this point and have heard it before. Someone mention the likely hood of a HPFP failure in the 10-20% here... always in intervals of 2k miles.

What worries me is that If I go with the e92 335i, I am capping it at $33k...about a $20k drop in 2-3 years/20-30k miles. Now the previous owner could have chipped their car, driven it like a maniac, and magnified the HPFP stress.

HPFP failures will show up in carfax/etc right?
No problem.

Yes, if they're written up as a "recall" or "warranty" fix.

I'm guessing you would purchase the BMW as a CPO if going used, correct? If it helps you to feel better you can request to see ANY & ALL vehicle maintenance records of the car prior to purchase. The dealer isn't going to argue about this if they feel a sale is imminent.

I've never heard the "liklihood factor being every 2K miles" theory before. That may be possible with those owners who had the OEM HPFP replaced only to have the replacement fail shortly thereafter. That was common place late last year & was found to be a direct result of poor quality control on BMW's part.

I understand where you're coming from ......... give the Z another year & they'll be as common as the 350 or the BMW with an undoubtedly lower resale value than the 335i.

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 05:38 PM   #16
thatsosm
Miracle Whip
United_States
Rep

Since you will be commuting, MPG will be very important , during my 40 mile commute I average 26 mpg crusing at 80. What's the MPG on the Z ?
      10-04-2009, 05:40 PM   #17
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexosma View Post
Since you will be commuting, MPG will be very important , during my 40 mile commute I average 26 mpg crusing at 80. What's the MPG on the Z ?
I average 30-31 MPG ........... the mods definitely help.

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 05:43 PM   #18
sokdo
Lieutenant
Rep

yea commuting is definately weird on my car. I use as much gas going from my house onto the freeway and from the freeway to school as I do with the entire 30-40 mile highway trip

:
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 05:46 PM   #19
maswastage
Resident Diesel Junkie
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW 335d

Quote:
My parents are spotting me $10k. I have enough to pay for college and finance. I am living at home like a loser (but really a winner since I am saving SO MUCH commuting to college). The commute is roughly 50-80 miles over a weekday/schoolday.
I'm right there with you. Commuting saves me roughly 5K a year, and that's after considering how much I pay for gas and parking. It's a trade off, but worth it I'd say.

And yes, since you're going to be commuting it may actually be better to get the BMW. I don't imagine the Z will be quite as efficient.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 05:57 PM   #20
JoeyBananaz18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: metrocard

Quote:
Translation? Sorry, I can't seem to figure out if you are being sarcastic in a rude way or in a helpful way.
nah, hes being serious. alot of people on here actually compared a 335i and cayman before making their choice. your situation isn't much different.

heres the deal. the most common problem that the 335s have is the fuel pump (HPFP). im not sure how long you've been on here, but you can get more info on that yourself. Even though its a very common problem, BMW has agknowledged it. They will cover the HPFP (to be replaced if it fails) up to 100k miles.
If you take care of the car, it can easily last you a lifetime. Just recently Bentley publication released its workshop manual for the E9x. If you plan on keeping the car for a while after the warranty expires, this book is a must. With books like this available to the owners, its makes repairs easier, and cheaper. Which means less trips to the dealer, and more money in your pocket. I'm almost want my warranty to expire so i can really get my hands dirty. It completes the ownership experience lol. The car is amazing. I'm sure you've driven your friends and I don't have to tell you that.
As for the Z, I also don't have to tell you about Nissan quality. its a good looking car. amazingly fast, and most likely one of the best drives on the road. however, you do loose practicality, and as it was said the E92 would be alot more comfortable. The thing about the Z is that, when the 370z is gone, and they bring on the successor, you may get bored with your car. I don't think its like that with a BMW. when you've got your BMW, you never wanna get rid of it. i becomes almost human after a while. What i'm saying is , there is something about owning a BMW that no other car can come close to. when you open your garage 15, 20 years from now and see those angel eyes looking back at you, you'll understand where i'm coming from.

either way, both cars are great
7/18/09- I pick up my baby- 2009 E92 335i Xdrive, Space Gray over Coral Red. Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, M-Sport Pkg, 193Ms, Gloss Black grills, Custom Gloss Black Mirrors, Performance shift and E-brake boot, M3 spoiler, Euro fog switch, gloss black interior tim, Coco-Mats (red/black), H&R coilovers, 19'' Alufelgen SF-71s......
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 06:17 PM   #21
akburst510
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBananaz18 View Post
I don't think its like that with a BMW. when you've got your BMW, you never wanna get rid of it. i becomes almost human after a while. What i'm saying is , there is something about owning a BMW that no other car can come close to. when you open your garage 15, 20 years from now and see those angel eyes looking back at you, you'll understand where i'm coming from.

either way, both cars are great

I want this feeling

They say people loyal to their cars are also loyal to their wives lol.

Anyways, I always read how people are leasing and ditching the 335i for the next thing to come out on here. Multiple posters here advised against owning a BMW past it's free maintenance program etc.

What you wrote is what I really wanted to hear.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 06:21 PM   #22
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by maswastage View Post
And yes, since you're going to be commuting it may actually be better to get the BMW. I don't imagine the Z will be quite as efficient.
If he is commuting, it would be much better to get the new car. It will have much lesser miles to begin with and as much as i hate Nissan, they are much more reliable and can be maintained cheaply without a warranty.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0