E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > High Oil Temperature in 335, how big of an issue ?

11-30-2009, 05:01 AM   #1
alexmish
Rep
Drives: 2010 335XI

Question High Oil Temperature in 335, how big of an issue ?

Hi folks,

I've been reading various posts on this forum, and there were some mentioning of the high oil temperature "issues" on the 335's twin turbo engines. Some had to install oil cooler (or get the sport package with the 18" opt. wheels).

I have 2010 335i x-drive on order with sports package but 17" wheels, so I guess I will not be getting oil cooler. I am NOT planning to race/tracking, I am just regular driver who ocassionally likes to kick-down to get a head starts from a light, or quickly pass someone on a road. I rarely drive above 90mph (typical highway speed around 79mph), and do keep good distance between cars which allows good airflow. I am coming to 335 from 08 X5 4.8 (which my wife will get), so I am used to "spirited" bmw driving, but as I said I dont race. I live in NJ, it does get hot here once in a while during the summer, but not as hot as in TX or FL

I will be leasing the car, but if I like it, I might keep it for a total of 5-6 years.

My question is - how big is this an issue? Is this such a big deal that I should go and order the 18" wheels so that oil cooler gets installed (and then worry about getting winter tires/wheels), or because of the type of driving I do there should not be a concern ??!!

I might have a day or two to change my order as it is suppose to start building this week....

P.S. Sorry if a repost, I did try to search for an answer...
      11-30-2009, 05:34 AM   #2
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmish View Post
Hi folks,

I've been reading various posts on this forum, and there were some mentioning of the high oil temperature "issues" on the 335's twin turbo engines. Some had to install oil cooler (or get the sport package with the 18" opt. wheels).

I have 2010 335i x-drive on order with sports package but 17" wheels, so I guess I will not be getting oil cooler. I am NOT planning to race/tracking, I am just regular driver who ocassionally likes to kick-down to get a head starts from a light, or quickly pass someone on a road. I rarely drive above 90mph (typical highway speed around 79mph), and do keep good distance between cars which allows good airflow. I am coming to 335 from 08 X5 4.8 (which my wife will get), so I am used to "spirited" bmw driving, but as I said I dont race. I live in NJ, it does get hot here once in a while during the summer, but not as hot as in TX or FL

I will be leasing the car, but if I like it, I might keep it for a total of 5-6 years.

My question is - how big is this an issue? Is this such a big deal that I should go and order the 18" wheels so that oil cooler gets installed (and then worry about getting winter tires/wheels), or because of the type of driving I do there should not be a concern ??!!

I might have a day or two to change my order as it is suppose to start building this week....

P.S. Sorry if a repost, I did try to search for an answer...
Considering your driving profile, you shouldn't have an issue with oil temperatures getting too high. Those that have a problem with it either have their engine tuned (which in itself leads to higher temps) or drive more spiritedly than you may want to do.

That said, lower oil temperatures are always good for any engine's reliability, even while normal driving; and when you'll have the 335i I could imagine that you'd want to drive a bit faster than with your X5. What's more, if you change your mind some time in the future (or even consider tuning your car), you'll probably be annoyed you didn't get the oil cooler in the first place. So if at all possible I would recommend getting the 18" wheels (looks better anyway) so that you'll have the OEM oil cooler. That will also simplify getting an upgraded oil cooler such as the VK Motorwerks in the future, should you consider that at one point in time.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      11-30-2009, 05:44 AM   #3
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux View Post
Considering your driving profile, you shouldn't have an issue with oil temperatures getting too high. Those that have a problem with it either have their engine tuned (which in itself leads to higher temps) or drive more spiritedly than you may want to do.

That said, lower oil temperatures are always good for any engine's reliability, even while normal driving; and when you'll have the 335i I could imagine that you'd want to drive a bit faster than with your X5. What's more, if you change your mind some time in the future (or even consider tuning your car), you'll probably be annoyed you didn't get the oil cooler in the first place. So if at all possible I would recommend getting the 18" wheels (looks better anyway) so that you'll have the OEM oil cooler. That will also simplify getting an upgraded oil cooler such as the VK Motorwerks in the future, should you consider that at one point in time.

Alpina_B3_Lux

+1 I would always take it as it leaves the future open. I would not worry about the temps in daily driving, with the drivingstyle you described.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 12:28 PM   #4
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Genesis Sedan Rspec

something tells me he wants the allseaon tires...

ppp
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 02:43 PM   #5
HoustonScott
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, montego Blue

Change your order to a 335d and you don't have to worry about oil temps or vanos failures... and it's just a fast and gets better mileage and will have better resale' it's a no brain'er.

HS
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 04:21 PM   #6
alexmish
Rep

Yes I dont want summer tires... and BTW diesel has its own issues. I
      11-30-2009, 05:42 PM   #7
HoustonScott
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, montego Blue

Not sure what they are, can't fine any on the net, and that's a big place.

HS
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 10:17 PM   #8
alexmish
Rep

I drove diesel, it has a lag...

A friend of mine has a diesel, and had some problems with the exhaust fluid... This is probably one-off...

335d does not have x-Drive, a must have for me.
      12-01-2009, 12:28 AM   #9
E30M3Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C, 97 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.00]
1989 BMW M3  [8.20]
With your driving profile you shouldn't have any issues with daily driving, e.g. no limp mode encounters, excessively high oil temps, etc.

Your car will regularly run 20-30 degree higher oil temps as compared to previous generation BMWs under similar driving conditions. No one here has enough miles or time on their cars to know if this will contribute to limiting the life of the motor or not.

Good luck.

Performance Center Delivery, June 21, 2013: 2013 E92 335is | Le Mans Blue | Gray Leather with Black | 6MT | 19" Style 313's | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | BMW Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler |
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 06:40 AM   #10
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I hear you with wanting allseason tires. but this shouldnt stop you from getting the performance package.

The seats are much better, the suspension is tighter, you have a oil cooler , and not that it matters a higher top end.

I know its a hassle but get the summer tires... swap them out later. the dealer willl probably not swap the tires for you since the allseasons will be rated for slower speeds = unsafe. but you can do it afterwards. its worth the grief.

ppp
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 09:25 AM   #11
alexmish
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potty_Pants View Post
I hear you with wanting allseason tires. but this shouldnt stop you from getting the performance package.

The seats are much better, the suspension is tighter, you have a oil cooler , and not that it matters a higher top end.

I know its a hassle but get the summer tires... swap them out later. the dealer willl probably not swap the tires for you since the allseasons will be rated for slower speeds = unsafe. but you can do it afterwards. its worth the grief.

ppp

Wait a sec... Now you are confusing me. I did order the Sports Package, which comes with much better seats (thigh support etc). What performance package are you talking about !?
      12-01-2009, 10:01 AM   #12
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Corvette Grand Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmish View Post
Wait a sec... Now you are confusing me. I did order the Sports Package, which comes with much better seats (thigh support etc). What performance package are you talking about !?
you are looking at a 335i x-drive, the x-drive models comes with different sport package. it does NOT include the sport suspension but it does have the sport seats.

if i remember correctly, i think you have to get the upgraded 18 inch summer tires to get the oem oil cooler, this is an add-on that is on top of the sport package.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 10:24 AM   #13
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep

duh my bad... was sleepy this morning...

Daixloxbmw is right.

here's a couple of questions for the veterans online...

Doesnt the autmatic run hotter then the manual cars given the same environment ?

Does the awd put a greater load on the engine ultimately resulting in more heat ?

ppp
Appreciate 0