E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Dealer "extras"...

10-25-2006, 06:27 PM   #1
tirana
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 6MT + F25 35i AT

Dealer "extras"...

I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but I am close to delivery and my dealer sent the usual email about various optional extras.

Quote:
BMW Road Hazard Protection. About 99% of BMW customers purchase this option because tires and rims are not covered under the BMW Certified Series warranty. You'll have unlimited coverage on repairs and replacements for up to 5yrs/100,000kms and is valid at any BMW retailer across North America. The cost to add this protection is C$699.

About 98% of customers whom purchase or finance purchase 3M ChipGuard not just to keep their BMW looking new throughout the years, but to prevent inevitable body damage.
I doubt I'll get either since the profit margins on these "treatments" are extortionate but was just checking in case other owners wanted to pitch in their thoughts. I can't believe 98-99% of people add >$1000 to their vehicle (at least, not people on this board). I know about the AAA/CAA tire protection.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2006, 07:12 PM   #2
user1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 01 330ci; 07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirana
I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but I am close to delivery and my dealer sent the usual email about various optional extras.

I doubt I'll get either since the profit margins on these "treatments" are extortionate but was just checking in case other owners wanted to pitch in their thoughts. I can't believe 98-99% of people add >$1000 to their vehicle (at least, not people on this board). I know about the AAA/CAA tire protection.
You will find more people on this board buy extra options like those since we are enthusiasts. But the general public does not buy that stuff in such large numbers. Those 99% numbers your CA is feeding you is a bunch of BS. No option is purchased 99% of the time, especially not an aftermarket option. Not even the metallic paint option (one of the most purchased options in the ordering process) is bought by 99% of customers.

The number of people buying those options vary by geography and dealership. I live in an area where rock chips are very common. Auto insurance here has a free glass replacement coverage since its so common. My dealer guessed less than 15-20% actually buy the clear bra/rock protection option. He said more leases buy it than buyers since they see it as a way to guarantee not getting charged for chips.

Do you live in an area where lots of people get flats? Have you gotten a flat in last few years or damaged your tires & rim (not including rim scrapes)? If your answer is no then you may be better off saving the hundreds of dollars on the tire insurance.

Make up your mind if those options are worth it to you and your situation. Judging by your dealers comments don’t believe anything that he says. He has a tendency to exaggerate to make a sale which isn’t good for a customer seeking reliable information.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2006, 08:25 PM   #3
DILLIGAF
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 SG 330i ZSP MT CA

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I have trouble believing those numbers too. But definitely don't go thru the dealer to get the 3M stone guard unless you want to pay double what you'd pay if you took the car in to a 3M dealer yourself.
      10-25-2006, 08:47 PM   #4
IrvRobinson
Banned
Rep
Drives: X3

Do what works for you......everyone's situation is different !
Appreciate 0