E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Exhaust and voided warranty?

02-17-2010, 09:43 AM   #1
aakrusen
To Punish and Enslave
Rep
Drives: with both hands on the wheel

Garage List
2008 M3 E92  [9.00]
Exhaust and voided warranty?

If I add an exhaust or Intake system to my car, will BMW freak out and not honor my warranty?

I ask because a few years ago I had a WRX with aftermarket swaybars and lowering springs. I took the car in for a transmission problem (while still under the warranty) and they told me because of the modification I've done I must drive the car hard and that's why the tranny broke. I eventually got it covered but it was a hassle.

What I don't want is BMW to say something like "You modified your exhaust and that's why your Nav doesn't work" or something stupid like that. Will they hassle me for an aftermarket exhaust or intakes?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 09:48 AM   #2
The_AMG_Hunter
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M5 Comp

Garage List
They harrased me for a drop in filter
      02-17-2010, 10:12 AM   #3
Kylekuu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi, 84 318i

Well if you put in a intake/exhaust, i would accept that they will void your engine warranty(i know some will say intake/exhaust won't mess up your engine, but it's definitely related). But to say your intake/exhaust messed up your suspension/electronics(nav etc.) is too far fetched, then i would argue it and request proof.

If you worry so much about it, either take it off before maintenance or repairs/ buy oem products. If OEM is too expensive for you, then maybe you should reconsider modding. There is always a risk when modding and that should be part of your decision to mod.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 10:13 AM   #4
gerbil_b
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Skoda Octavia DSG TDi

Garage List
2008 318i  [0.00]
2006 Hyundai Coupe  [0.00]
I would think that ANY modifications could cause you problems, Every mod i have done is reversable in less that 2 hours realistically so it aint a problem, just wtch yourself...
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 10:16 AM   #5
kgb1637
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: RS5

Some of the members on here have gotten in really tight with their SA's and have found them to be more mod-friendly than most, however, if you go in with aftermarket parts, and something remotely connected breaks they can and most likely will void your warranty.
      02-17-2010, 12:56 PM   #6
Zero.7
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340i AW M-Sport

Dealerships obviously rather have you pay for any repairs versus them having to pay. So, you can bet that they'll be looking closely at your intake/exhaust mods and try to link them to problems with your car AND thus, void your warranty. That su*ks, but that's the risk that YOU have to take when you mod.

'16 f30 AW 340i M-sport
8-speed Auto
BMW ///M Performance Power and Sound Kit with Carbon Tips / Gloss Black Performance grilles
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 01:03 PM   #7
aakrusen
To Punish and Enslave
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3 E92  [9.00]
I would like to add that with my WRX, Subaru wasn't voiding my warranty, they were trying to deny the claim for the transmission. The warranty would have still been in effect with a denial of the claim as the only downside. But, I got what I wanted at the time and the warranty was still good.

For this car, I don't think BMW would void my warranty, I think the worst they would do is deny a claim that I might have because of the mods.

Also, when I bring the car in for regular service and I have the mods on, I would imagine they'd still do the service but would they "take notes" on what I have done to my car? We only have one BMW service center within a 300 mile radius so going somewhere else really isn't an option right now.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 01:45 PM   #8
Kylekuu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi, 84 318i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aakrusen View Post
I would like to add that with my WRX, Subaru wasn't voiding my warranty, they were trying to deny the claim for the transmission. The warranty would have still been in effect with a denial of the claim as the only downside. But, I got what I wanted at the time and the warranty was still good.

For this car, I don't think BMW would void my warranty, I think the worst they would do is deny a claim that I might have because of the mods.

Also, when I bring the car in for regular service and I have the mods on, I would imagine they'd still do the service but would they "take notes" on what I have done to my car? We only have one BMW service center within a 300 mile radius so going somewhere else really isn't an option right now.
The taking notes thing, i believe is dealer-specific. I do know if your mods are in the way of any type of service that requires them to remove it, they will probably tell you to remove it yourself. If you are aware of certain services beforehand, just take off the mods. Since you are 300 miles away.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 02:42 PM   #9
TommyK
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i LCI

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i LCI  [0.00]
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
ya my dealership just blamed my LED angle eye upgrades for breaking my adaptive xeon headlamp from turning any more, so the quoted me $1900 for the repairs.

i thanked them for all the help, and called the insurance company to get it covered.

such BS

so take caution, if there is anything loose they will blame you, anything you touch and they can tell they will blame you. other than that your ok lol
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 03:09 PM   #10
kamek
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [8.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyK View Post
ya my dealership just blamed my LED angle eye upgrades for breaking my adaptive xeon headlamp from turning any more, so the quoted me $1900 for the repairs.

i thanked them for all the help, and called the insurance company to get it covered.

such BS

so take caution, if there is anything loose they will blame you, anything you touch and they can tell they will blame you. other than that your ok lol
My adaptive headlights keep malfunctioning and I was JUST about to swap in new angel eyes. Good thing I didnt...
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 04:17 PM   #11
aakrusen
To Punish and Enslave
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3 E92  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylekuu View Post
Since you are 300 miles away.
We have a BMW service center here in town, the next one is about 300 miles away. I'd probably just remove the mods if I needed too.

If I goes as far as a turbo back setup, will any of that be "in the way" of any regular service that BMW would do?
Appreciate 0