E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > 2011 e92 with M sport - feedback on 19" wheels

02-28-2010, 09:14 PM   #1
rust99
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

2011 e92 with M sport - feedback on 19" wheels

I'm looking at getting the 2011 335 coupe with M sport package. I'm on the fence on whether to upgrade to the 19" wheels (225M). They look pretty sweet.

With the recent snowstorms that we've had this winter in the VA/MD/DC area, I'm not sure if 19" wheels are a good choice. Though I'm concerned that the wheels / rims would get damaged by hitting a pothole, I'm more worried about damage to the car.

One option is to go with the 19" wheels & get a set of winter tires / rims.

The only other thing that makes me hesitant on the 19" wheels is the cracking problems that have been reported in the UK with the 225M style rims.

Thoughts?

Also any recommendations on the best place to get wheel / rim insurance?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 09:41 PM   #2
ge0rgechen
First Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2009 msport E92 bsm 6mt

imo i think you should just use stock rims for snow setup and purchase some 19' aftermarket rims for summer =)
      03-01-2010, 08:17 AM   #3
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

I agree. Take the stock 18 in wheels and put snow tires on them once you wear out the tread this summer. Next spring, buy some 19 in wheels for summer time.
      03-01-2010, 08:58 AM   #4
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

i think you should get the 19" wheels and use them for the summer and purchase a 17" winter setup. the smaller, narrower rim/tire setup is better for snow/ice.

i've been running 19s" for a few years and potholes havent been a problem for me yet. most are filled when warm weather comes around (unlike the massive ones out there now). this past snowstorm was an anomoly, and even if it wasnt, why would anyone drive with 19" rims with summer tires now anyways? way too risky

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 10:49 AM   #5
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rust99 View Post
I'm looking at getting the 2011 335 coupe with M sport package. I'm on the fence on whether to upgrade to the 19" wheels (225M). They look pretty sweet.

With the recent snowstorms that we've had this winter in the VA/MD/DC area, I'm not sure if 19" wheels are a good choice. Though I'm concerned that the wheels / rims would get damaged by hitting a pothole, I'm more worried about damage to the car.

One option is to go with the 19" wheels & get a set of winter tires / rims.

The only other thing that makes me hesitant on the 19" wheels is the cracking problems that have been reported in the UK with the 225M style rims.

Thoughts?

Also any recommendations on the best place to get wheel / rim insurance?
I believe the dealer has insurance for these. Check with Jeff.
Appreciate 0