E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 6 speed auto transmission slipping

03-18-2010, 05:48 AM   #1
bungee
Rep
Drives: E93 320D Steptronic

6 speed auto transmission slipping

My 320D auto gearbox (2009 - 20,000 kms) has been slipping. Has anyone else had this problem ?

At any speed in any gear under the lightest acceleration the car will build up the revs (say 1400 rpm to 3500 rpm) without changing gear - much like a bad clutch slip in a manual. Lift off on the throttle and the revs drop back. In M-mode I can be sitting in M6 at say 120km/h (just over 2000 rpm), slight acceleration, tranny stays in M6 but again revs will climb steeply before any acceleration is felt and drop back when I ease off.

I'm completely unfamiliar with auto transmissions (my wife wanted auto) but the behaviour is nothing like it was when new. At new the car would just accelerate with a nice torquey, twisty feel as the diesel wound up from low revs. Fuel consumption has increased by 50% around town and 25% on the highway. The car is noisier as it revs more and it idles a bit rougher in drive (not in neutral).

The dealer's response ? "Computer says no". They reset the gearbox but no change.

Anyone have a similar problem ? Is there anything I can check ?

Any opinions welcome.
Appreciate 0