E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Clutch issue

05-12-2010, 04:32 PM   #1
Alexander
Mad tyte EuR0 style boooi <--- Joke
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E85, MKVI

Clutch issue

I got a new transmission about 5,000 miles ago, but BMW refused to replace my clutch as well. I was seriously pissed, because there was most likely damage to the clutch as well.

Anyways today I was at a redlight on a steep incline and I could not put the gear selector into 1st at all. I tried for about a minute of jamming the clutch in and out trying to force it in, so I had to ride the hell out of the clutch and start in 2nd.

WTF!!!!

Is my clutch going out, because I kind of feels like crap, downshifting to 3rd is especially slow the clutch hesitates.

My brother said that I might just need something adjusted. I live in the middle of no where and I won't be able to take the car in until at least 2 weeks.

What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 05:51 PM   #2
Healey3000
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i, with 3 pedals

[QUOTE=Aonarch;7306322]I got a new transmission about 5,000 miles ago, but BMW refused to replace my clutch as well. I was seriously pissed, because there was most likely damage to the clutch as well.

Anyways today I was at a redlight on a steep incline and I could not put the gear selector into 1st at all. I tried for about a minute of jamming the clutch in and out trying to force it in, so I had to ride the hell out of the clutch and start in 2nd.

Is my clutch going out, because I kind of feels like crap, downshifting to 3rd is especially slow the clutch hesitates.

QUOTE]

Hi,

It's really unfortunate that you could not replace the clutch. Did you have the option to pay for the clutch and have them install it? Anyway, water under the bridge, I suppose.

Did you try going to second and then to first? Gearboxes are known to sometimes balk when trying first, even on perfectly good units. If the clutch were not fully disengaging, when you try first (or any other gear), you will hear grinding and indeed have trouble engaging.

I'm not sure what you mean by the clutch hesitating when shifting to third. Does it slip? Does it engage slowly? It should not be gear dependent. Maybe the new gearbox is also defective (was it a factory reconditioned unit?).

If you can provide a few more details it may be possible to figure this out.

Regards,
Adnan
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 07:15 PM   #3
Alexander
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=Healey3000;7306752]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
I got a new transmission about 5,000 miles ago, but BMW refused to replace my clutch as well. I was seriously pissed, because there was most likely damage to the clutch as well.

QUOTE]

Hi,

It's really unfortunate that you could not replace the clutch. Did you have the option to pay for the clutch and have them install it? Anyway, water under the bridge, I suppose.

Did you try going to second and then to first? Gearboxes are known to sometimes balk when trying first, even on perfectly good units. If the clutch were not fully disengaging, when you try first (or any other gear), you will hear grinding and indeed have trouble engaging.

I'm not sure what you mean by the clutch hesitating when shifting to third. Does it slip? Does it engage slowly? It should not be gear dependent. Maybe the new gearbox is also defective (was it a factory reconditioned unit?).

If you can provide a few more details it may be possible to figure this out.

Regards,
Adnan
The tranny is new. The clutch is just slow to engage, like if you don't rev match and the RPMs automatically rise. This 6MT is a pain in the ass sometimes, it is so finicky. I did try going into 2nd and it worked... but I would try and put it into 1st with no luck. It has done this to be before with the old and new tranny, which makes me think that it's a clutch issue. There is no grinding or audible noises and it doesn't feel like it is slipping. It's so freaking weird! I've driven manual cars now consectively for 8 years now and have had clutches go out on me. Its not a good feeling and with 1,000 left on my warranty I'm seriously worried.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 10:05 PM   #4
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330xi, 335i

I had a similar problem that you have described on a non-BMW car with a manual transmission after it had a clutch replaced. The gears were hard to engage, most of all the first and reverse. The problem turned up to have been caused by the linkage between the gear shift and the transmission - when adjusted (one hour job), gear shifting worked OK.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 10:54 PM   #5
Alexander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oulixes View Post
I had a similar problem that you have described on a non-BMW car with a manual transmission after it had a clutch replaced. The gears were hard to engage, most of all the first and reverse. The problem turned up to have been caused by the linkage between the gear shift and the transmission - when adjusted (one hour job), gear shifting worked OK.
That's what my brother said. I hope that's all there is, but then again I have 1,000 miles left on my warranty... I need a new clutch asap... lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 08:05 AM   #6
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

I have the same issue from time to time especially in the morning when the car is cold. However for me putting the shifter into second THEN first usually lets it go in fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 08:41 AM   #7
JuppiOne
Captain
Rep
Drives: everyone crazy

If you can't put in first, but be able to put in second, third etc... it doesn't sounds like its your clutch failing, if your clutch is failing, you will slip at any gear, and pretty much that is all that the clutch do, connect your engine to the tranny. this is more of a tranny issue, could be the throw out (or release) bearing, but since you have no issue in any other gear rather than first, that sounds more like a synchro issue to me.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 07:17 PM   #8
Alexander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickch View Post
If you can't put in first, but be able to put in second, third etc... it doesn't sounds like its your clutch failing, if your clutch is failing, you will slip at any gear, and pretty much that is all that the clutch do, connect your engine to the tranny. this is more of a tranny issue, could be the throw out (or release) bearing, but since you have no issue in any other gear rather than first, that sounds more like a synchro issue to me.
I hope not BMW is going to take a dump on me if so... I had my tranny replaced at 5,000 miles and I'm 22 so they probably will think that I street race or that I'm retarded.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2010, 07:47 PM   #9
runrider
I pretend to be smart.
Rep
Drives: '06 325i 6MT 39k

It might be your CDV (clutch delay valve) that is causing the 'delay' you're experiencing. Its a hydraulic restrictor that limits how fast your clutch can engage or disengage. Run a search for cdv here, theres lots of discussion. As far as I know, our BMWs are the only cars on the road that use CDV's.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2010, 07:48 PM   #10
runrider
I pretend to be smart.
Rep
Drives: '06 325i 6MT 39k

I also sometimes have to move the shifter into second before it will allow me into first, especially when its cold. It happens maybe once every thousand miles.
Appreciate 0