E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Another Warrenty Enquirey

07-12-2010, 06:59 AM   #1
ABTTJ
Rep
Drives: 07 335d SE Coupe

Another Warrenty Enquirey

Afternoon Chaps,

I know this topic probably has already been done to death but here goes.

Picked up my 335d 56/07 plate yesterday... Want to purchase a warrenty dealer offered thiers at £300 from "Ford Dees of Croydon" but i know they are crap and cover nothing.

Is there a tried and tested warranty which is as good as the original manufacturers warrenty that you guys have dealt with?

Cheers for any feedback
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 07:49 AM   #2
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

Is this the space grey, 335d coupe with 19's and Sat Nav that was on for a very low price about 1 - 2 months ago

Provided it's under 60k miles (which from memory it was low-ish mileage) i extended the BMW warranty for £346 fully comp with breakdown cover and an 250 excess. On balance it seems their full comp cover seems to cover most things and people seem to have more luck claiming in comparison to the next best which may be warranty wise.

However, even with BMW insured warranty from Mondial there has been talk of some refused claims for petty things.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 01:51 PM   #3
Captain Chaos
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: cars n stuff

I'd agree that the universally best option I've seen recommended is the extended warranty.

That said, from what I've experienced of Mondial in trying to renew mine last month, I hope to hell that they're better if it comes time to claiming....
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 01:57 PM   #4
effone
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABTTJ View Post
Afternoon Chaps,

I know this topic probably has already been done to death but here goes.

Picked up my 335d 56/07 plate yesterday... Want to purchase a warrenty dealer offered thiers at £300 from "Ford Dees of Croydon" but i know they are crap and cover nothing.

Is there a tried and tested warranty which is as good as the original manufacturers warrenty that you guys have dealt with?

Cheers for any feedback
i've gone for the full package on my recent 335d through BMW... looked into all of the others... but none offer you anywhere near what bmw does...

it may cost a few quid more, but if you have to claim, it'll be more than worth it!!

hope you're enjoying your 335d... absolutely love mine...

ian b
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 03:16 PM   #5
BigBanana
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Beemer F30 335D

I took the BMW extended warranty for my 325d.

It cost just over £500 - mileage was circa 67k on an 07 plate, from new.

What do people consider as a 'petty' claim?

(Bearing in mind, there is a £250 excess for each and every claim).

Thats not petty to me.....
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 05:10 PM   #6
ABTTJ
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by briers View Post
Is this the space grey, 335d coupe with 19's and Sat Nav that was on for a very low price about 1 - 2 months ago

Provided it's under 60k miles (which from memory it was low-ish mileage) i extended the BMW warranty for £346 fully comp with breakdown cover and an 250 excess. On balance it seems their full comp cover seems to cover most things and people seem to have more luck claiming in comparison to the next best which may be warranty wise.

However, even with BMW insured warranty from Mondial there has been talk of some refused claims for petty things.
hahah very observant of you Mr... i was hunting for ages for the right price and yes it is the same one 31k for 18800 in the end..

I assume the excess would cover more than just one item? i.e if there happens to be two parts wrong at the same time it isnt 250 per part...

Cheers guys for getting back to me
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 04:15 AM   #7
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABTTJ View Post
hahah very observant of you Mr... i was hunting for ages for the right price and yes it is the same one 31k for 18800 in the end..

I assume the excess would cover more than just one item? i.e if there happens to be two parts wrong at the same time it isnt 250 per part...

Cheers guys for getting back to me
I clarified that - she put it in writing and said "Thank You for your email I would like to inform you that the excess is payable on each and every claim made (per visit to the dealer) as oppose to per item claimed for."

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 04:18 AM   #8
Captain Chaos
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Heh, so is that per claim or per visit, given that it seems to take most dealers 2 or 3 goes these days to fix the damn problem...
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 04:40 AM   #9
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
I'm almost at the end of my warranty too.

But looking at it - if I want to claim I have to pay £250 on top of the £427 I've been quoted (mine's on almost 28k miles) for fully comp cover - if I dare to claim? So that's just shy of £700.

Now I know the engine or tranmission going pop would be a major disaster but highly unlikely - but effectively paying around £700 to fix something is a real stinger. It's not really a "warranty" at all - it's insurance. What will cost over £700 to repair that is likely to go pop?

I'm not convinced - anything with "insurance" written near it is a rip off.

Sorry - rantlet came from nowhere.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 03:26 AM   #10
ABTTJ
Rep

Thats a good point actually near £700 if something goes wrong? thats a big part....

Having second thoughts now about the warranty situation.

I used to sell cars and warranties for Peugeot and they were often quite shocking as to what they did refuse so ive always been bit of a sceptic when it comes to purchasing.

Unless i hear of a justifiable case then I will probably put it on the back burner for now....

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 03:35 AM   #11
Captain Chaos
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335diesel View Post
I'm almost at the end of my warranty too.

But looking at it - if I want to claim I have to pay £250 on top of the £427 I've been quoted (mine's on almost 28k miles) for fully comp cover - if I dare to claim? So that's just shy of £700.

Now I know the engine or tranmission going pop would be a major disaster but highly unlikely - but effectively paying around £700 to fix something is a real stinger. It's not really a "warranty" at all - it's insurance. What will cost over £700 to repair that is likely to go pop?

I'm not convinced - anything with "insurance" written near it is a rip off.

Sorry - rantlet came from nowhere.
£427 with a £250 excess? Mine was £370 with a £100 excess for the same car minus the larger boot, and it includes recovery (which makes it more than just insurance, but I think everyone accepts your point as a given) - you sure you aren't paying for any extras in that which add more value and/or they aren't trying it on?

Compulsory insurance is a rip-off, I agree. Nobody's making you buy this though, so not sure how it can be a rip-off - you just choose not to buy it - simplez. I toyed with putting some money in the bank for a year but decided that I'd rather do it this way for a year, one of those choices you wish you could make in hindsight, but ultimately it's a choice no?

PS: BMW sunroofs used to have hideous relibility on the e36 and early e46, not sure what they're like these days, but that's one example of a part that will cost a lot more than £700 to fix! Then again, there were some that got lucky and never had a problem - like all insurance, it's a flat gamble...
Appreciate 0