E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Exp with a 535 loaner, and HPFP question

08-04-2010, 04:29 PM   #1
preDoc 328
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i 6MT

Exp with a 535 loaner, and HPFP question

Hey guys, I sent my E90 for a service and got a beautiful black E60 535i. The car drives like a dream, quiet, glides over bumps, pulls smoothly all the time. This was my first experience with the N54 and I was very impressed!

However, I am realizing a potential problem. When I got in the car, it started up right away (as it should being a new car with 2600miles on it). As I drove it around, I noticed that it took longer and longer to crank over...until I got an engine light on the dash. I have been very gentle and careful with the car (no full throttle starts, no thrashing in general). I have read numerous threads about HPFP failures and this sounds a bit like one.

My question to you guys is: am I right, and how long do I have? I need to make a long trip tomorrow (120+miles) to attend volunteering that I have signed up for. Will I make it back? lol
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 04:32 PM   #2
E90Graphite07
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i

It was probably fun while it lasted to drive that 5series, but I wouldn't risk it. Just go back to the dealership and swap for a different loaner ASAP! If you try to go, and the car goes into limp mode or stalls, you're SOL, and will have to deal w/ getting it towed, etc.

Join us on Facebook:
E90Post - Houston
Houston BMW DIY Services
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 05:18 PM   #3
TheRox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by preDoc 328 View Post
Hey guys, I sent my E90 for a service and got a beautiful black E60 535i. The car drives like a dream, quiet, glides over bumps, pulls smoothly all the time. This was my first experience with the N54 and I was very impressed!

However, I am realizing a potential problem. When I got in the car, it started up right away (as it should being a new car with 2600miles on it). As I drove it around, I noticed that it took longer and longer to crank over...until I got an engine light on the dash. I have been very gentle and careful with the car (no full throttle starts, no thrashing in general). I have read numerous threads about HPFP failures and this sounds a bit like one.

My question to you guys is: am I right, and how long do I have? I need to make a long trip tomorrow (120+miles) to attend volunteering that I have signed up for. Will I make it back? lol
lol hpfp gone on the 535

on another note, 328 is pretty nice for a pre med student. wonder what you'll get once you're in med.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 08:04 PM   #4
preDoc 328
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Graphite07 View Post
It was probably fun while it lasted to drive that 5series, but I wouldn't risk it. Just go back to the dealership and swap for a different loaner ASAP! If you try to go, and the car goes into limp mode or stalls, you're SOL, and will have to deal w/ getting it towed, etc.
Yeah I hear ya. Unfortunately I was at the library all day (studying for my MCATs) and it's too late now. Dealer is closed and I have to be in Lansing pretty early tomorrow, that and my dealer rarely has loaners. Let's hope the HPFP gods are in my favor tomorrow lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRox View Post
lol hpfp gone on the 535

on another note, 328 is pretty nice for a pre med student. wonder what you'll get once you're in med.
Yeah I spent a fair amount of time looking at HPFP and now I get to potentially experience it lol. Thanks for the compliment, I love the E90 328! Car was an overly generous gift from my kind grandfather (we are very close). I love that car to death and baby it like crazy (I get overtaken all the time for accelerating too slowly and "only" doing 75 on the freeway lol). I plan on keeping this car forever, definitely through med school (studying for MCATs now actually). Plus, it will be quite some time before I make enough to buy something as nice as the E90. First thing I will buy is probably an older car...always liked 1980s 911s A LOT! But, I digress.

Thanks for your guys' inputs. If I don't post tomorrow, I've probably just wet myself after experiencing limp mode on the highway.
Appreciate 0