E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Dealer crashed my car: advice please!

08-05-2010, 12:35 PM   #1
BlackCat
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M Sport DCT

Dealer crashed my car: advice please!

Hi folks,

My 335i MSport Convertible (1 year old, only 3,400 miles -- I really ought to update my sig!) went into the dealer yesterday for some minor bits of warranty work. Got a call this morning from the service advisor telling me that they had managed to crash my car into another within the workshop.

It didn't sound too bad over the phone, but having viewed it this evening the car is a bit of a mess:
  • Bumper mangled
  • Plastic undertray torn and broken
  • Alloy wheel trashed
  • Lower suspension strut bent
  • Nearside wing cracked through

You can see some of the damage in the attached photos (sorry, camera phone was all I had on me).

So, what are my options? I'm very wary of a car which has had significant repairs to the front suspension, and of course it will affect resale value (or at the very least the opportunity for resale since I'd need to answer truthfully as to whether the car has ever been in an accident).

I'm also pretty upset that these bozos haven't taken good care of my pride and joy! This dealer has had £100K of my business in the last 3 years buying two brand new cars, so I'm clearly a decent customer. How best can they keep me happy?

All thoughts, advice etc. very much appreciated. Off to see them again tomorrow...

Thanks,

BC
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 12:40 PM   #2
Jules-B
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Autovogue 335i

Personally i would deal with this in the proper way, that trading standards advise.
It is under the The Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 (as amended) states that work should be carried out with reasonable care and skill

I would talk to trading standards on 08454 04 05 06 to see what your options are
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 12:45 PM   #3
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
Hi folks,

My 335i MSport Convertible (1 year old, only 3,400 miles -- I really ought to update my sig!) went into the dealer yesterday for some minor bits of warranty work. Got a call this morning from the service advisor telling me that they had managed to crash my car into another within the workshop.

It didn't sound too bad over the phone, but having viewed it this evening the car is a bit of a mess:
  • Bumper mangled
  • Plastic undertray torn and broken
  • Alloy wheel trashed
  • Lower suspension strut bent
  • Nearside wing cracked through
You can see some of the damage in the attached photos (sorry, camera phone was all I had on me).

So, what are my options? I'm very wary of a car which has had significant repairs to the front suspension, and of course it will affect resale value (or at the very least the opportunity for resale since I'd need to answer truthfully as to whether the car has ever been in an accident).

I'm also pretty upset that these bozos haven't taken good care of my pride and joy! This dealer has had £100K of my business in the last 3 years buying two brand new cars, so I'm clearly a decent customer. How best can they keep me happy?

All thoughts, advice etc. very much appreciated. Off to see them again tomorrow...

Thanks,

BC
Sounds like an unlikely scenario given the damage to the car!

I'd be looking for some form of recompense for the loss of value that this will have on the car.

Good luck with it.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 12:53 PM   #4
Ham09
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A sh*t box

Garage List
2006 335i  [0.00]
Wow the damage looks pretty severe. Must have been going quite a speed to do that. The damage also looks more like it's hit a kerb at speed rather than knocking another car. If it's just the suspension strut that bent then can fix it and the other bits, but I would want an idependant to check the chassis isn't bent.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 01:02 PM   #5
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Get them to buy the car off you for a private sale price.
      08-05-2010, 01:15 PM   #6
Snooky
Major
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5 Sportback Carbon Blac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
+1
      08-05-2010, 01:23 PM   #7
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post

plus 1....or get them to give you a new car!!!...and take the "old" one...
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 01:40 PM   #8
ibanezking
Weekend Rockstar
England
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Looks a lot of damage for a low speed workshop bump.............

Always narks me that someone can crash into your car - and you're then out of pocket being left with an "insurance" repaired car.............
      08-05-2010, 01:41 PM   #9
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Bet it's been out on the road and thrashed from cold.
      08-05-2010, 01:44 PM   #10
Oli
Campervan man
Rep
Drives: RS3 and VW Kombi

Lets be a bit realistic before we all go on about dealer buying the car.......

Offer for them to fix, to 'new' standard, and lend you a car of equal standard in the mean time. Afterwards get the vehicle independently inspected, at their cost, have a drive, then if you are happy, talk about compensation. That damage isn't as bad as it looks, new wing, bumper and under tray, wheel, with a lower arm - properly aligned, should be an easy fix. Two months down the line you wouldn't even know it has happened.

Don't get me wrong, I would be properly pi$$ed, however, it is a bit of metal and can be repaired, it shouldn't have happened, but accidents do happen, as we all know.

I believe that trading standards will suggest a similar tack in getting it sorted.

Good luck

Genuine VW T5 California Rental
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 01:46 PM   #11
msport
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Everywhere

Garage List
That has been seriously twatted I don't believe it was done in the workshop, more like eyeing up some totty while cruising round in your pride and joy caused that.

I would be looking as some serious mileage out of this if I was you..
      08-05-2010, 01:51 PM   #12
ibanezking
Weekend Rockstar
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli View Post

Offer for them to fix, to 'new' standard, and lend you a car of equal standard in the mean time. Afterwards get the vehicle independently inspected, at their cost, have a drive, then if you are happy, talk about compensation. That damage isn't as bad as it looks, new wing, bumper and under tray, wheel, with a lower arm - properly aligned, should be an easy fix. Two months down the line you wouldn't even know it has happened.

Don't get me wrong, I would be properly pi$$ed, however, it is a bit of metal and can be repaired, it shouldn't have happened, but accidents do happen, as we all know.

I believe that trading standards will suggest a similar tack in getting it sorted.

Good luck
Well said Oli. thats about right............ but one should milk it for all its worth........ it'd be rude not to!

So long as you're not out of pocket and that includes if when you come to sell it, some smart arse doesn't say " theres a load of new parts around the front nearside"............ we'll offer you £1000 less as a trade-in/px

Max
      08-05-2010, 01:53 PM   #13
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli View Post

Good luck
hmmm for me, it seems that this will leave him worse off!...

Too easy for the dealer, damage car, repair it.....there you go Mr. Customer....byebye....

and as compensation/ gesture of goodwill....You get 10% off your next servicing....

nah....
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 02:12 PM   #14
BlackCat
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M Sport DCT

Thanks for the ideas/support so far. A few of my own...

Three issues: will I have a car of equal standard while this is being sorted out, will the car be properly repaired so that the work is invisible to me (i.e. driveability not affected), and what will be the effect on resale?

I am taking the service manager's F10 tomorrow, not a convertible (bang goes the opportunity for a roof down blat this weekend) but at least decent spec.

I would guess that the car could be decently repaired, but I'd want an independent inspection (at the dealer's expense) to prove it. And of course the question is what would happen if the inspection does not give the all clear?

The final piece is more problematic. If a private buyer asks whether the car has been in an accident then to say no would be mis-representation and a whole world of legal hurt. And of course how many private buyers of a performance BMW really want a car which has been pranged? I certainly wouldn't. So resale will be affected. Plus all this hassle is eating up my time which is a pretty valuable commodity...

Parkers (not really a good guide, but indicative if the BMW AUC site is anything to go on) gives private sale as 40,000 and dealer sale as 43,000, tradein 38K. I think 40K value is realistic given that the car has pretty much every option and is very low mileage.

Unfortunately DCT 335is are pretty rare (only a couple of M Sport Highlines on the BMW site), so I was thinking about attempting to extract something in the region of 40K as a trade in against a 45K M3 or something. Whether the dealer could get hold of such a beast (with DCT and EDC plus the usual extras) is another matter. I don't really see why I should end up out of pocket but unfortunately the choices of powerful convertibles are rather limited.

As ever, more thoughts appreciated.

BC
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 02:35 PM   #15
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Ask for an M3!!!!!.... ;-)

You're right about the resale value...it will be affected!!!...

and there will always be that lil thing in your head...."has the car been repaired properly".....everytime you take a corner....
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 02:38 PM   #16
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

Some of the posts are causing a storm in a tea cup. Some are verging on the insane!!

Option 1. BMW fixes the problem to your and independent inspection standard and offers a gesture of goodwill for your inconvenience and 'potential' future recompense. Dealer supplies equivalent car during repair or suggest you use Bristol and London or Helphire to get you a car at the dealers insurers expense...they will find a car quick!

Option 2. You suggest a price to buy the car from you in exchange for a new car. You are now in the driving seat in the negotiation. Get a replacement car in the meantime until the right spec is found/ordered. May have to forego an equivalent. Lower the cost for dealer, better the deal for you.

Option 3. As suggested in previous posts you kick off ranting and raving, threaten them your wrath, make them pay for every last inconvenience, send story to Watchdog, News of the World and any one else who listens. Cost everyone with time and money, end up with a car of substandard condition end up out of pocket.

Accidents happen. It was an accident. No one gets out of bed in the morning and says to themselves 'I know what, I fancy fucking someones car down the road today and twatting it for the fun of it'!!

The damage is very superficial, low speed and easily replaced and painted. I would bet most people would never spot the repair, ever!

Be calm, informed and explain in precise detail what you expect the dealer should do AFTER you ask them their suggested outcome of the issue. They will want to fix this as quickly and with minimum fuss as possible. And I hope maintaining their professional position throughout. Once they show their cards you can then politely demand your outcome. Be realistic but be prepared to negotiate from a high point in the first place.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 02:39 PM   #17
Ham09
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A sh*t box

Garage List
2006 335i  [0.00]
Would the vehicle be Classed as 'Cat D' or is that only if their insurance doesn't pay out, assuming it's going through the garages insurance.

I agree with you, my main concern would be the resale value of your car as it would be a damaged repaired vehicle. Can't offer any tips affraid, how you get it sorted!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 02:42 PM   #18
ibanezking
Weekend Rockstar
England
Rep

I agree accidents happen.................... i got a stolen car in the face at 85Mph, about 14 years ago - so i of all people know that.............

But the Stealers have already started with the lies/coverup by saying that the accident was "in the workshop"..............

The damage would state otherwise...........!
      08-05-2010, 02:46 PM   #19
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

Looks to me like it may of hit a vehicle ramp. You cannot accuse the dealer of lying, you now fack all of the incident.

The dealer will fix it out of their pocket. Insurance will not be involved. My guess would be their excess would be in the region of £5k per incident. The car will never have any kind of accident 'mark' against it.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 02:49 PM   #20
Oli
Campervan man
Rep
Drives: RS3 and VW Kombi

The damage could not have been at speed or the airbag would have gone off! Any damaged like that to front wing or bumper, would trigger the airbag. And believe me, when I say that what has happened to the OPs car is purely cosmetic - parts that can be bolted on or off, you would never know, if repaired properly, and it would definitely be in their interest to make it 120% correct, which wouldn't be hard.

Sorry OP, what exactly is the dealers explanation of what has happened? I agree with above, hit a ramp, or come off the ramp when not secured properly

Genuine VW T5 California Rental
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 02:51 PM   #21
fastloop
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M Sport

It's a bit hard to see from the pictures but the damage looks a bit odd for a small bump in a workshop. As suggested it looks more likely the wheel has smacked a kerb, bent the suspension and knocked the wheel into the wing.
How would the undertray get damaged that badly from a workshop fender bender? It's looks like its been over a kerb at speed.

I suggest that you get to the bottom of how this damage happened and push the dealer on this. It looks like they have started off lying to you, so that doesn't bode well for their honesty. Keep pushing them and don't let this go until you are happy that it's fixed properly and they have compensated you plenty for this pain.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 02:55 PM   #22
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera RSR View Post
The damage is very superficial, low speed and easily replaced and painted.
From the OP's photo it would appear that the steering tie rod is bent and that may have caused secondary damage to the rack. Additionally, if the impact was sufficient to trash the wheel as well, I would class the damage as significantly more than "very superficial".
Appreciate 0