E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Rear power shade, can it be installed?

08-12-2010, 06:46 AM   #1
WS6FirebirdTA00
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Rear power shade, can it be installed?

Just curious, I have searched but am having no luck, but can you purchase a kit to install the rear power shade? Is the wiring already there? If it is, does anyone have part numbers?

Sorry if this has been asked, I only found discussion about the shade and no information on if it could be installed after production easily.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2010, 06:59 AM   #2
WS6FirebirdTA00
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Of course after changing search words 5 times I found a PDF of the install. Looks like it needs wiring. Too bad it wasn't already run like the CD changer and alarm lol
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2010, 09:04 AM   #3
rothwem
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Wagon

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00 View Post
Of course after changing search words 5 times I found a PDF of the install. Looks like it needs wiring. Too bad it wasn't already run like the CD changer and alarm lol
The rear sunshade is totally 100% worthless. It does nothing to keep the car cool and it gets stuck in cold weather. I bought my car CPO, so it was already on there, but I would never pay extra to have one in my car.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2010, 09:35 AM   #4
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Genesis Sedan Rspec

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrothwell View Post
The rear sunshade is totally 100% worthless. It does nothing to keep the car cool and it gets stuck in cold weather. I bought my car CPO, so it was already on there, but I would never pay extra to have one in my car.
with respect i disagree.

it does keep the sun out of the car, it has worked 100% since the day i bought it (new), and does provide added privacy.

I would buy it again and yes $500 or whatever it cost is a guilty pleasure.
course one of the funny things i saw on anther car was having wording on the sun screen like "back off my ass" and raise it when somebodys too close.

anyways only proble with mine is some squeaking... havent researched why and how yet , may be comming from the rubber roller touching the glass. no biggie atm.

ppp
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2010, 10:09 AM   #5
rickwjenn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potty_Pants View Post
with respect i disagree.

it does keep the sun out of the car, it has worked 100% since the day i bought it (new), and does provide added privacy.

course one of the funny things i saw on anther car was having wording on the sun screen like "back off my ass" and raise it when somebodys too close.

ppp
Thanks for feedback - I ordered this on my 2011 335xi coupe and will be picking up next week. Seemed like a very nice option to me as well.
      08-12-2010, 10:42 AM   #6
The J-Man
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickwjenn View Post
Thanks for feedback - I ordered this on my 2011 335xi coupe and will be picking up next week. Seemed like a very nice option to me as well.
I like mine on my 2011, and it's a better deal if you get the new convenience package. Front and rear PDC, sunshade, alarm and comfort access for a bout $1350 invoice. Pretty good deal.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2010, 11:59 AM   #7
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep
Drives: F80, F86

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00 View Post
Just curious, I have searched but am having no luck, but can you purchase a kit to install the rear power shade? Is the wiring already there? If it is, does anyone have part numbers?

Sorry if this has been asked, I only found discussion about the shade and no information on if it could be installed after production easily.
I doubt it, cause it's the scissor mechanism is under the deck a bit and the screen rolls. BMW would save money not installing this H/W on all cars.
Not like HD radio where the chip is less than $3, might as well do it for all cars then enable/disable through S/W.

In any rate, I like mine on both 535i and 335i, for some reason I always get tail-gated by big trucks at night so screen up or I got to wear my sun-glasses at night (hey isn't a song with that title?).
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2010, 12:15 PM   #8
anerbe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Red E90M 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potty_Pants View Post
with respect i disagree.

anyways only proble with mine is some squeaking... havent researched why and how yet , may be comming from the rubber roller touching the glass. no biggie atm.

ppp
this is my #1 issue - every car i've been in / owned with rear sunshade had a bad noise issue / rattling / squeeking noise after a few miles on each car. It sounded like the rear shelf has something loose. Either from music, bumps in the road, etc... I would end up blaring music to not hear it.

I also typically tint my vehicles, so the light blocking isn't as big of an issue.

If you don't tint and don't mind the noises, they are nice. If any type of noise bother you, don't do it. It'll make noise sooner or later.
Appreciate 0