E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Strange comfort access problems.

08-13-2010, 01:35 PM   #1
Swish
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sport

Strange comfort access problems.

I did a search before posting and really couldn't find anything quite like my problem, so here goes. The first problem was when my doors wouldn't open automatically on my '06 330xi about a month ago. Now it won't start unless my key is in the ignition. I get the key error when I step on the brake and push the button. However, if I start it with the key in the slot, then stop it, take the key out, and restart without it in the slot, it will start with no trouble.

As for the doors, I opened them manually with the key fob, locked them by touching the ridges on the handle, and was then able to open them with the fob in my pocket. So I guess it will work only after using the the buttons on the fob.

Any ideas as to what the heck is going on? It worked perfectly since I bought it new. I only have one key fob that works, so using the spare is not possible.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 01:42 PM   #2
pecophilly
Well officer, what had happened was...
Rep
Drives: Grocery Getter

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish View Post
I did a search before posting and really couldn't find anything quite like my problem, so here goes. The first problem was when my doors wouldn't open automatically on my '06 330xi about a month ago. Now it won't start unless my key is in the ignition. I get the key error when I step on the brake and push the button. However, if I start it with the key in the slot, then stop it, take the key out, and restart without it in the slot, it will start with no trouble.

As for the doors, I opened them manually with the key fob, locked them by touching the ridges on the handle, and was then able to open them with the fob in my pocket. So I guess it will work only after using the the buttons on the fob.

Any ideas as to what the heck is going on? It worked perfectly since I bought it new. I only have one key fob that works, so using the spare is not possible.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Possibly the batteries are going dead?
      08-13-2010, 01:43 PM   #3
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

When was the last time you changed the battery? If the answer is "never", then try that first.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 01:49 PM   #4
blue1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E93 M3  [0.00]
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412598

Try this thread they have been having similar problems. If the car is awake everything works if the car is asleep you have to hit the key fob to wake it up and then everything id OK again. I believe the batteries were checked?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 07:45 PM   #5
Swish
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sport

You guys hit the nail on the head. I really didn't think the battery was shot because the doors were opening easily from a distance with the fob buttons, and locking too. I thought it has something to do with a sensor, especially since the CA would work sporadically. I just replaced the battery (by sheer luck I had the exact battery as a spare for our electronic bathroom scale. Go figure) and it's working like a champ, CA and all.

THANKS A TON!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 08:10 PM   #6
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330xi, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish View Post
You guys hit the nail on the head. I really didn't think the battery was shot because the doors were opening easily from a distance with the fob buttons, and locking too. I thought it has something to do with a sensor, especially since the CA would work sporadically. I just replaced the battery (by sheer luck I had the exact battery as a spare for our electronic bathroom scale. Go figure) and it's working like a champ, CA and all.

THANKS A TON!
I have the same car model and had a few problems with unlocking the car. The battery if the CA usually lasts about three years and then starts displaying "low battery" icon. I am glad your CA now works properly.
Appreciate 0