E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > The mod bug and the 335i, warning

01-05-2007, 11:10 PM   #1
edgarj
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

The mod bug and the 335i, warning

I never touched a thing about my old S54 M-roadster save for the campy stereo head unit. The law of diminishing returns was severe as far as performance, and I really liked the wheels and interior... that and the fact that there were so few mods that worked with the S54. The 335i coupe on the other hand is killing me. In one week I've ordered:

Vishnu Xede (vaporware though it may be, kidding, desperate)
M6 reps (19", gunmetal)
Non RTF tires, TPMS sensors
Shift knob (the heavy Whalen, as it feels a bit rubbery and long stock for my taste)
E-brake handle (the OEM aluminum one)
Al. Pedals (from Ultimate Pedals, frosted anti-slip w/o inserts, engraved 335i)
Steering wheel (the M-technik one with red/blue stitching)
Aero kit (OEM front only)

I must be stopped before the aftermarket turns me into it's whore. Is there a 12 step group for this absurd behavior? Its not like this car wasn't great already.

Last edited by edgarj; 01-05-2007 at 11:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2007, 11:23 PM   #2
youyou
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 997 C4S

Lololol...
It's funny because i'm exactly like you.
I have never modified any of my previous cars but for the 335i i'm just goin nuts over here.
I am only getting my car at the end of the month (Alpine White on Coral Red) and have already ordered a bunch of things.
-Steering Wheel same as yours M-Technik with red/blue stiching
-H8 bulbs for Angels
-6000k d1s bulbs for the xenons
- Ipod Most Adapter
About to order:
-Xede
-19" Gunmetal m6 reps
- H&R Springs
- And eventually the aero kit

I think you and i share similar taste...
One question though.
The M-technik steering wheel did you order it from the ebay seller from Sweden?
Because i did a few weeks ago but my friend wanted one lately and the seller said he had none left...
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2007, 11:25 PM   #3
edgarj
Captain
United_States
Rep

I forgot the H8's..... embarassingly enough, I ordered them today
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2007, 11:32 PM   #4
edgarj
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by youyou
Lololol...
I think you and i share similar taste...
One question though.
The M-technik steering wheel did you order it from the ebay seller from Sweden?
Because i did a few weeks ago but my friend wanted one lately and the seller said he had none left...
I ordered it around X-mas, as it looks so good with Coral and I love the MZ4 wheel, to which this one is as close as it gets for now.

My friend, who just ordered an e90 335i, emailed him earlier this week and he said that he has more to be listed this comming week, so tell you friend to do an 'active search' and he should be able to get one soon.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2007, 11:34 PM   #5
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

when i finally get mine it will be the first car i heavily mod as i plan to keep it for more than a couple years, i bet ill spend 10k in the first year (xede s1 being a major chunk) the only thing i will probably keep they most dont are the wheels because i like the bmw starspokes
      01-05-2007, 11:39 PM   #6
Fester
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Porsche 911 (991) 4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarj
I never touched a thing about my old S54 M-roadster save for the campy stereo head unit. The law of diminishing returns was severe as far as performance, and I really liked the wheels and interior... that and the fact that there were so few mods that worked with the S54. The 335i coupe on the other hand is killing me. In one week I've ordered:

M6 reps (19", gunmetal)
Shift knob (the heavy Whalen, as it feels a bit rubbery and long stock for my taste)

I must be stopped before the aftermarket turns me into it's whore. Is there a 12 step group for this absurd behavior? Its not like this car wasn't great already.
OK - STOP IT NOW!!!
      01-05-2007, 11:41 PM   #7
youyou
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 997 C4S

Quote:
I ordered it around X-mas, as it looks so good with Coral and I love the MZ4 wheel, to which this one is as close as it gets for now.

My friend, who just ordered an e90 335i, emailed him earlier this week and he said that he has more to be listed this comming week, so tell you friend to do an 'active search' and he should be able to get one soon.
Thankx Ed will do.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2007, 11:43 PM   #8
edgarj
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknochild
when i finally get mine it will be the first car i heavily mod as i plan to keep it for more than a couple years, i bet ill spend 10k in the first year (xede s1 being a major chunk) the only thing i will probably keep they most dont are the wheels because i like the bmw starspokes
I hope not to wind up anywhere near 10K, but I'll enjoy watching your progress! I'm going to try to resist the Vishnu (or similar, non rice) exhaust, but I have a feeling that I'll give in based on the accounts I've heard of it's balanced note. Stock exhaust sounds pretty good, definately less raspy than my S54, but it could use some testosterone in the lower revs. What are your plans beyond Xede?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2007, 12:03 AM   #9
radgator1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
No Kidding, I am in the same boat. I ordered all this stuff, almost all of it before I even got the car:

ACS Roof Spoiler
ACS Trunk SPoiler
M-Tech Pedal Set
Black Out Grill
Blacklines
Sevas S-Star Wheels with non-RFT
Xenon Match Fogs
Sport Airbag (in anticipation of M-Tech Wheel, Euro dude is out of controls so waiting for him to get more)
Ordered Lux-2 Angle eyes today
Painted Splitters (waiting for Feb Delivery from GB)
Eibach Prokit Springs

And will likely be ordering Xede soon. I think that will pretty much have me covered for awhile anyway (I hope so at least )
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2007, 12:09 AM   #10
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
NICE!!!! my kind of thread!!
the day I got my car it got the makeover::
OEM mside skirts
OEM mtech rear
OEM blacline tailights
Kwv2 coilovers
19"M5 wheels
OEM m steering wheel
Hartge front lip
OEm rear spoiler
XEDE IS ON ORDER!! hopefully will be installed feb 10
Mtech shift knob/boot on order
new wheels on order
I want a boost gauge as well!!!
      01-06-2007, 12:49 AM   #11
edgarj
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHD
NICE!!!! my kind of thread!!
the day I got my car it got the makeover::
OEM mside skirts
OEM mtech rear
OEM blacline tailights
Kwv2 coilovers
19"M5 wheels
OEM m steering wheel
Hartge front lip
OEm rear spoiler
XEDE IS ON ORDER!! hopefully will be installed feb 10
Mtech shift knob/boot on order
new wheels on order
I want a boost gauge as well!!!

You've got it worse, as there are WAY more cosmetic mods out for the e90 335i... it's like looking into the future a year and seeing my withered crack-head self looking for the mod I know I must have dropped somewhere. No. seriously, I'm done after this round save for anything performance-wise bolt-on with a decent $:hp ratio (and maybe one of those heavy ACS-type iDrive knobs, and that carbon .......).
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2007, 12:54 AM   #12
Walked U
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Too many to list

Quote:

M6 reps (19", gunmetal)

Hahah your my hero
Ferrari 575 SA, 458 Italia
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2007, 01:03 AM   #13
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

Going against the grain here, I will keep my 335i mostly stock. Will only do coilover, wheels, and tint.

In my current car, I went crazy with it. In the year of owning it, I've spent a bit more than $10,000 on parts.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2007, 01:31 AM   #14
rrandyy
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4
Going against the grain here, I will keep my 335i mostly stock. Will only do coilover, wheels, and tint.

In my current car, I went crazy with it. In the year of owning it, I've spent a bit more than $10,000 on parts.
What car did you spend $10k on?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2007, 02:04 AM   #15
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep

^Evolution VIII...
I had a little bit of everything...
wheels and tires was about $3,000
coilover, laser alignment and corner weighting was about $2,500
catback, hi flow cat, down pipe, boost controller, bigger fuel pump, bigger injectors, better bov, ecu enhancement, gauge set up with features that allow you to play, record, peak, cams, cam gears, etc.
sound audio system, auto start, jdm tail lights and head lights, etc.

You get really carried away without knowing. You just think oh, it's only $200-300 for this. But man, I was suprised when I added everything up.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2007, 02:11 AM   #16
edgarj
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4
^Evolution VIII...
I had a little bit of everything...
wheels and tires was about $3,000
coilover, laser alignment and corner weighting was about $2,500
catback, hi flow cat, down pipe, boost controller, bigger fuel pump, bigger injectors, better bov, ecu enhancement, gauge set up with features that allow you to play, record, peak, cams, cam gears, etc.
sound audio system, auto start, jdm tail lights and head lights, etc.

You get really carried away without knowing. You just think oh, it's only $200-300 for this. But man, I was suprised when I added everything up.
This, alas, is the voice of reason that I needed to hear. I've watched it happen, but it's like those commercials about weed with the guy in his parents basement...... sort of abstract, and frankly distracting, when you're trying to roll one up during a commercial.

Did your money spent heighten your overall enjoyment of the car? With an Evo, I would believe it if you said yes. But, what you said about it adding up is golden. I've gone crazy at the onset, but I can only imagine what it would add up to if I didn't draw the line at a dollar amt., which for me is say, $5K, including waht I've spent... for the lifetime of thecar. You guys hold me to that now, and someone needs to be my official sponsor.

Actually, I blame this on Shiv. If I wasn't waiting on that special somthin' I wouldn't need to unload the gun in anticipation! I really need my Xede, and I'll be OK then. I have some cheeseburgers.... Shiv, I'll suck your d1ck if you send me my Xede!**

**Movie reference, $1300 is all I'm worth.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2007, 02:33 AM   #17
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did your money spent heighten your overall enjoyment of the car? With an Evo, I would believe it if you said yes.
Most definitely! The Evo, like the 335i, is very easy to mod and get a lot of power out of it. The car was a blast to drive, everything up until the 335i felt slow to me...this was why I wanted the 335i, lol.

The Evo opened a new world to me, from doing a 1/4 track run to doing a full road race course. Spending the night before the race day with the guys prepping the car, and datalogging and getting up early at 7am to caravan to the race track to line up. All good times.

Even with all the money I spent...I was still in stage 1+. To even get to stage 2, you would need to upgrade the turbo...I was too much of a fraidy cat for that, lol.

If i weren't trading in the Evo in a month, I would already need to upgrade the clutch since it's slowly but surely going.

Coming into the Evo, I was like a kid in a candy store. The supporting market was definitely there, it was a question of how deep your pocket is. Some of my friends that I met through the Evo board have spent over $20,000+ on their cars and don't really regret it.

Honestly I would've kept my Evo if I can drive it in peace. The harrassment you get in this car is beyond unreal. Getting pulled over for doing exact speed limit. I've gotten pulled over and cops had told me that my wing is illegal, in which it's an OEM peice. I'm probably one of the most slowest driver you'll ever meet, I do a consistent 35-40 in streets and 75 in highway.

The reason I will keep the 335i stock performance-wise is that you really need to pay to play. Whether it be a mechanical problem or having to spend extra money. There's been times where my Evo was nearly undrivable because of an error that came up due to a failure of mod. If I had more than one car, maybe I would mod the 335i. But for now I would like the worried free driving of stock.

Shiv is very well known in the Evo world. You should ask what some of his customers have...upgraded rebuilt transmission, rebuilt stroker kit, super huge turbo, yada yada yada.

I have a feeling that the 335i will be as popular as the Evo, Sti, Supra, etc. Many owners that own those Japanese cars can easily buy more expensive cars, but they stick to those cars because parts are in abundant and power is easy to make. The older guys that I know that own Evos actually drive M's and AMG's as their daily drivers.

I'm just hoping that not too many fanboys will get their hands on the 335i's to tarnish the car and the prestige name that is BMW
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2007, 02:47 AM   #18
edgarj
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4
Most definitely! The Evo, like the 335i, is very easy to mod and get a lot of power out of it. The car was a blast to drive, everything up until the 335i felt slow to me...this was why I wanted the 335i, lol.

The Evo opened a new world to me, from doing a 1/4 track run to doing a full road race course. Spending the night before the race day with the guys prepping the car, and datalogging and getting up early at 7am to caravan to the race track to line up. All good times.

Even with all the money I spent...I was still in stage 1+. To even get to stage 2, you would need to upgrade the turbo...I was too much of a fraidy cat for that, lol.

If i weren't trading in the Evo in a month, I would already need to upgrade the clutch since it's slowly but surely going.

Coming into the Evo, I was like a kid in a candy store. The supporting market was definitely there, it was a question of how deep your pocket is. Some of my friends that I met through the Evo board have spent over $20,000+ on their cars and don't really regret it.

Honestly I would've kept my Evo if I can drive it in peace. The harrassment you get in this car is beyond unreal. Getting pulled over for doing exact speed limit. I've gotten pulled over and cops had told me that my wing is illegal, in which it's an OEM peice. I'm probably one of the most slowest driver you'll ever meet, I do a consistent 35-40 in streets and 75 in highway.

The reason I will keep the 335i stock performance-wise is that you really need to pay to play. Whether it be a mechanical problem or having to spend extra money. There's been times where my Evo was nearly undrivable because of an error that came up due to a failure of mod. If I had more than one car, maybe I would mod the 335i. But for now I would like the worried free driving of stock.

Shiv is very well known in the Evo world. You should ask what some of his customers have...upgraded rebuilt transmission, rebuilt stroker kit, super huge turbo, yada yada yada.
Yeah, like Shiv said (and I'm sure you guys speak the same language), the limiting factor on the 335 is replacement risk... and that's a big number. I have no ambition what so ever to compete with the guys that no doubt will arrive in the comming years with this car... Evo, or maybe Supra type numbers I forsee. The cost of admission will probably limit it more than the Evo, the mods will be exensive by 09' I bet. I'm just hoping to have a lot of fun in that 2nd tier of performance... the one where I still have a daily driver and don't have to maintain a savings account for engines, etc. My old M was almost exactly as quick as this car is stock, so I have to nudge it a bit, but the aftermarket for this car is going to be open sky.

You should share your comparative experince between the Evo and the 335i when you have some miles down. I have a feeling that some of us will need to hear it
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2007, 03:07 AM   #19
eshtog
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 E39 M5

Does anyone have more info on angel eyes upgrade with the H8 bulbs?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2007, 03:09 AM   #20
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You should share your comparative experince between the Evo and the 335i when you have some miles down. I have a feeling that some of us will need to hear it
You read my mine. I was planning on doing so after logging several thousand miles on the car.
I bought my Evo with 60 miles, about 15 months later, it has about 27,500 miles now. The Evo is a very simple car, not a lot of electrical stuff. The whole dash can be taken apart in about 2 mins or less. The only thing that went wrong for me was the loosened bolt in the moon roof assembly. There was a time where my BOV got disconnected somehow on the highway and I couldn't gassed up and had to pulled over to the shoulder to pop it back in. That's the reason why I carry a tool box in the trunk now, haha.

My only worry about the 335i is the built of the electrical stuff since there is so many neat features in it. However we have warranty so it shouldn't be too bad.

Albeit I'm an Evo owner, I can not speak the language pros such as Shiv speak, lol. Those guys are hardcore, they can read and predict the problem from a graph that shows timing, knocking, etc.

Sorry, didn't mean to hog up all the posts here
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2007, 03:14 AM   #21
Walked U
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Too many to list

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4

you lie! Everyone gets the mod itch when they get beaten a few times by someone else.
Ferrari 575 SA, 458 Italia
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2007, 08:19 AM   #22
Vinobien
The 3 Day Diet!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray e92, 88 911 Cab

Garage List
Whats hot about this M-Tech Steering wheel and angel ey H8? bulb upgrade -picsHR installed, Xede on order, M6 gunmetal reps on order with 10mm spacers, Toyos in my living room, tint, and thats it so far.
Appreciate 0