E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > My 3 Series vs a 530D M Sport Alpine White

09-07-2010, 07:02 AM   #1
philreid
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 325i M Sport

My 3 Series vs a 530D M Sport Alpine White

I had to take my car into the dealer because it vibrates from cold and apparently it needed two new fuel injectors and a software upgrade.

I paid the £15 insurance and was given a 2010 Alpine White 530D M Sport manual as a courtesy car which I was pretty pleased at (the car, not having to pay the insurance!).

This is my car

The 5 I got looks a lot like this, though I think this is a USA model

What surprised me, however is that I definitely prefer my own 2007 325i M Sport! The 5 is a lovely car and the colour definitely turns heads, but it just seemed a bit more 'clunky' and I don't like the huge dashboard and the slightly odd square styling in places. Bizarrely, I thought that my own car (aside from the chuffing juddering issue) just seems a bit smoother and more refined.

Where my petrol car lacks a bit of torque, the 5's 3 litre diesel engine had absolutely unbelievable torque; when I was accelerating onto the motorway I thought I was being fired into space!

Bad news is that now I have my car back with two fuel injectors replaced, software upgraded, new coils and new spark plugs - the same issue is occurring. I can't explain it! So it's going back to the dealer and the 5 is coming my way for another couple of days.

I'll need to find out how much it will cost me to extend my warranty which is coming to and end soon, but will need to call them since their online quotation tool wouldn't give me a figure. This palava has taught me that I need the peace of mind it brings!

Anyway just thought I'd share my thoughts! Anyone else got thoughts on the comparison between 3 Series and 5 Series? No doubt plenty of people would vehemently disagree with my opinions here.

Last edited by philreid; 09-07-2010 at 07:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 12:07 PM   #2
DavS1
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Emfree

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I wasnt all that keen on the E60 myself, but the new F10 I reckon is going to be an awesome car after giving on a good look over/test drive

My Dad's ordered an F10 525 D M sport, which won't be in showrooms till middle of this month (he's getting his end of the month apparently) so haven't actually saw one in the metal yet but looking forward to it.

Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 12:46 PM   #3
CHG
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A Variety of 4 Wheeled Things

Sure it was an M Sport and not just an SE with big wheels?

Didn't think the M Sport 5 was out yet?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 12:51 PM   #4
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
The E60 is a fantastic looking car. I love them.
      09-07-2010, 02:47 PM   #5
jjbirch
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60 530D M SPORT

Garage List
i do like the M sport 5 series the little touches like the black line on the bottom of the wing mirrors just gives a little somthing extra,had a 530d last week and it was one of the best cars i have driven,had gun metal alloys and lots of extras something like 51k list i think bmw are pricing them out self out of the market, as it was only 3 months old and up for sell for 37k big hit if someone was buying new
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 04:15 PM   #6
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHG View Post
Sure it was an M Sport and not just an SE with big wheels?

Didn't think the M Sport 5 was out yet?
new 5 M-sport is definitely available, pretty sure that pic posted above is M-sport spec.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 05:20 PM   #7
Irnbrukid
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Imaginary M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-FAST View Post
new 5 M-sport is definitely available, pretty sure that pic posted above is M-sport spec.
Available to order not on the road yet, they didnt start production till after the summer shutdown.

Think the one above is a car that was used by bmw for bmw employee day.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 06:21 AM   #8
philreid
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 325i M Sport

F10 M Sport looks amazing - I'd love to have one of THOSE as a courtesy car!

The one I drove was definitely an M because it had the logo on the wheel and on the sills. Very nice car, but I just found it reassuring that it wasn't a million times better than my own car which is worth about half!

And they are definitely pricing themselves out of the market. I doubt many would be willing to pay 35k for a 5 which has already been replaced.
Appreciate 0