E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Collision repair--what is acceptable?

11-08-2010, 08:01 PM   #1
325high
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3

Collision repair--what is acceptable?

So my car is scheduled to be fixed up by tomorrow. Some dude backed into it and destroyed the hood and bumper. His insurance covered the repairs. But I'm worried about the possibility of getting there tomorrow and seeing that the paint doesn't match perfectly or seeing some other imperfection that i know will bother me. So my question is, how picky can i be? Can i expect to get a car that looks just as good as it did before i brought it into the shop? If I can see orange peel in the paint or poor paint matching, can i demand that it be fixed properly or do they just have me over a barrel since I'm not the one paying? I don't have much experience w/ insurance and collision repair.

Basically, I just want to know what my expectations should be before i get there. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 08:12 PM   #2
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

It should look pretty damn good. Color matching/blending techniques are common and work very well when the job is done right. And they should match the factory orange peel too.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 08:15 PM   #3
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

The car should be exactly as before. Do not accept anything less than perfection. There should be no imperfections that weren't in the factory paint.

Remember, though, that there may be a slight difference in color of the platic bumper only - as plastic will be a bit different than metal - but the difference should be minimal.

Make sure that they replaced any underhood stickers - they are a dead giveaway of a respray and are difficult (and expensive) to replace - the bodyshop needs to order thenm specifically from Germany for your car and (for my VW at least) were about $50 each and required a copy of my registration to order.

Also make sure that all the correct fasteners were used and that there is no overspray.

Accept nothing less than perfection. Discuss diminished value with the insurance company too - they should compensate you for the reduced value of having a damaged car. It might show up on Carfax too.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
325high
Second Lieutenant
Rep

ya it shows up on carfax. goddamn it. idiot drivers piss me off. good tips though; thanks a lot
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 07:22 AM   #5
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by auger330 View Post
ya it shows up on carfax. goddamn it. idiot drivers piss me off. good tips though; thanks a lot
Do a search on diminished value and whatever state you happen to be in. If the damage is in Carfax then they need to compensate you for the diminished value.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 08:39 AM   #6
325high
Second Lieutenant
Rep

ya i did last night. I'm in indiana and it's not covered here. It's not the first front end collision this car has seen so i'm not sure it would have much impact. I'm just gonna be picky as hell when i inspect the repairs.
Appreciate 0