E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Rearview mirror - 2 really stupid, but easy questions

11-10-2010, 07:17 PM   #1
Fisch
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Rearview mirror - 2 really stupid, but easy questions

Okay I'm 99% sure the auto dim on my mirror isn't working. I have a 2007 coupe with the premium package, and I've wiped the mirror clean, held and LED light to the sensor on the mirror at night to see if it got darker. Nothing. So I mentioned that when I took my car in today and they said "No faults system normal at this time". It was weird though, because the 328i loaner I was driving this evening on my way to pick up my car worked great! I was no longer blinded by cars behind me. The SA pretty much said "Bring it by when the foreman is here during the day" even after I explained to him the loaner I pulled in 5 minutes ago worked perfectly.

And my 2nd question is about the digital compass on the mirror. Do only cars without idrive come with this option? I was wondering why I didn't have the compass and thought "Well maybe because the idrive has navigation/compass built in so no need putting it on the mirror". Then I thought, "Maybe my mirror was replaced by the previous owner and that's why the auto dim isn't working?"

Any ideas? Here's a copy from the invoice today

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 07:22 PM   #2
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

All the responses are hauntingly familiar. Like you know ahead of time nothing will be fixed. My car died on the expressway, and the first time, they said loose battery terminal, kept the car two days, and sent me on my way, to have it die again.

also interesting I had the squeal last week, and like you, it was not "warranty." But I still paid $0. Kinda makes you wonder if they did anything.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 07:22 PM   #3
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

You definitely have ZPP? Are the auto-dimming exterior side mirrors working? The "no faults" wording leads me to believe it wasn't throwing a code of some sort, but you should ask if they actually tested it like you did.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 07:27 PM   #4
Fisch
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
You definitely have ZPP? Are the auto-dimming exterior side mirrors working? The "no faults" wording leads me to believe it wasn't throwing a code of some sort, but you should ask if they actually tested it like you did.
I'm not 100% sure. I can post the VIN if that helps someone decode it. I bought it a a CPO over the summer. When the SA pulled my VIN up on the computer this morning it said "Premium Package". It does have the sensor on the rearview mirror glass. And no the side mirrors do not get dark. Side mirrors and rearview mirror worked on the 328i loaner though. And yea I'm guessing the just looked for codes. I did get a new low pressure fuel sensor for some reason. I guess that was throwing a code.

WBAWB73517P024102 is my VIN
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 07:30 PM   #5
Fisch
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
All the responses are hauntingly familiar. Like you know ahead of time nothing will be fixed. My car died on the expressway, and the first time, they said loose battery terminal, kept the car two days, and sent me on my way, to have it die again.

also interesting I had the squeal last week, and like you, it was not "warranty." But I still paid $0. Kinda makes you wonder if they did anything.
Since I've owned my car I've taken it to the dealership twice. Usually multiple issues, but the brake squeal has been on the list both times. I have a feeling the tech drives it around with the windows up and the music on. Hell it even was making the annoying squeal as I rolled around in their parking lot this morning to drop the car off.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 07:35 PM   #6
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisch View Post
I'm not 100% sure. I can post the VIN if that helps someone decode it. I bought it a a CPO over the summer. When the SA pulled my VIN up on the computer this morning it said "Premium Package". It does have the sensor on the rearview mirror glass. And no the side mirrors do not get dark. Side mirrors and rearview mirror worked on the 328i loaner though. And yea I'm guessing the just looked for codes. I did get a new low pressure fuel sensor for some reason. I guess that was throwing a code.

WBAWB73517P024102 is my VIN
If the side mirrors don't auto-dim, that leads me to believe you don't have ZPP.

Do the side mirrors have the power folding feature? That's another sign of ZPP. And do you have leather? You can get leather without ZPP so it's not a tell, but you can't have a ZPP-equipped car with leatherette. Lumbar support in the seats and Bluetooth/BMW Assist are also part of ZPP. So if you have it, you should have both of those.

All this might explain your second question about the compass too.

X7 LCI // Incoming
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 07:39 PM   #7
Fisch
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
If the side mirrors don't auto-dim, that leads me to believe you don't have ZPP.

Do the side mirrors have the power folding feature? That's another sign of ZPP. And do you have leather? You can get leather without ZPP so it's not a tell, but you can't have a ZPP-equipped car with leatherette. Lumbar support in the seats and Bluetooth/BMW Assist are also part of ZPP. So if you have it, you should have both of those.

All this might explain your second question about the compass too.
My mirrors fold in if I press the button
My headlights turn with the steering wheel (adaptive headlights)
I have comfort access
I have the rear sunshade
I have adjustable lumbar
I have blue tooth/bmw assist/idrive
I have the cold weather package
And probably some more stuff

etc... So can anyone on here confirm they have a compass with idrive?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 07:41 PM   #8
bsamoul
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

From the sound of it, he definitely has ZPP. And cars with iDrive also have a compass on the mirror
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 07:45 PM   #9
bsamoul
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 07:47 PM   #10
Fisch
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsamoul View Post
From the sound of it, he definitely has ZPP. And cars with iDrive also have a compass on the mirror
Is the compass a separate option from ZPP/Premium? I really don't care if I have the compass, but would really like to have my mirrors dim. I have the original sticker for the car, I'll try to grab that and scan it in, but I won't be able to do that until tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 07:48 PM   #11
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Wow you got me thinking...my pass. side mirror motor was replaced. I think it was just the motor--how do I actually check if the sideviews are dimming? I also thought about checking it after I get my windshield replaced. In reality, at least for me, I take it for granted. It could stop working and I might not notice, whereas the old kind you can just flip the knob.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 07:52 PM   #12
Fisch
Private
Rep

Quote:
Wow you got me thinking...my pass. side mirror motor was replaced. I think it was just the motor--how do I actually check if the sideviews are dimming? I also thought about checking it after I get my windshield replaced. In reality, at least for me, I take it for granted. It could stop working and I might not notice, whereas the old kind you can just flip the knob.
I heard at night (not under a street light of course) you could try shinning a light on the sensor on the rear view mirror and see if that dims. The 335i loaner I drove it was apparent right away that it was working. A huge difference between mine car. Either 1. BMW's auto dim feature in 2007 doesn't do squat and on an '10 328i they made it awesome or 2. Mine really isn't working and the dealership got lazy/missed it.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 07:57 PM   #13
bsamoul
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Is the compass a separate option from ZPP/Premium? I really don't care if I have the compass, but would really like to have my mirrors dim. I have the original sticker for the car, I'll try to grab that and scan it in, but I won't be able to do that until tomorrow.
Cars with ZPP get the compass on 2011 models it comes with ZPP. My 06 has ZPP. Does the mirror have a dot in the middle of it? That's the sensor for the dimming features.

Quote:
Turn on the lights and take a flashlight to the mirror of the rearview mirror. Both sides and the rearview should dim.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 08:03 PM   #14
Fisch
Private
Rep

Quote:
Cars with ZPP get the compass on 2011 models it comes with ZPP. My 06 has ZPP. Does the mirror have a dot in the middle of it? That's the sensor for the dimming features.

Turn on the lights and take a flashlight to the mirror of the rearview mirror. Both sides and the rearview should dim.
Yea it has the sensor. At the top center of the mirror.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 08:07 PM   #15
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Do you have the Homelink buttons on the bottom of the mirror?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 08:10 PM   #16
Fisch
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1111 View Post
Do you have the Homelink buttons on the bottom of the mirror?
Yup... Here's a crappy pic of the mirror. Hard to see the sensor, but if you look closely you can see it.

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 08:18 PM   #17
bsamoul
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I heard at night (not under a street light of course) you could try shinning a light on the sensor on the rear view mirror and see if that dims. The 335i loaner I drove it was apparent right away that it was working. A huge difference between mine car. Either 1. BMW's auto dim feature in 2007 doesn't do squat and on an '10 328i they made it awesome or 2. Mine really isn't working and the dealership got lazy/missed it.
The mirror should be the same. I've never had issues in my 06 from it. I know new BMW mirrors have the compass flush with the mirror and on earlier ones there is a black box around it. But you should have a dot in the middle like this:

(crappy picture but you can see it)
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 08:22 PM   #18
Fisch
Private
Rep

Quote:
The mirror should be the same. I've never had issues in my 06 from it. I know new BMW mirrors have the compass flush with the mirror and on earlier ones there is a black box around it. But you should have a dot in the middle like this:

(crappy picture but you can see it)
Yea got the dot... Looked exactly like the dot on the 328i I drove today. If I take it back and the shop foreman says "It's functioning correctly" I'm going to find a used 2007 on their lot to test drive and compare.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 08:26 PM   #19
bsamoul
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yea got the dot... Looked exactly like the dot on the 328i I drove today. If I take it back and the shop foreman says "It's functioning correctly" I'm going to find a used 2007 on their lot to test drive and compare.
Definitely do that.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 08:56 PM   #20
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

I don't have my car to check the exact location but most (all?) autodimming mirrors have an ambient light sensor built into the front of the mirror.

That sensor needs to be covered to simulate darkness for the mirror to dim.

Cover that and shine a light on the dot in the mirror. If it dims then all is well.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 09:02 PM   #21
Fisch
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1111 View Post
I don't have my car to check the exact location but most (all?) autodimming mirrors have an ambient light sensor built into the front of the mirror.

That sensor needs to be covered to simulate darkness for the mirror to dim.

Cover that and shine a light on the dot in the mirror. If it dims then all is well.
Yea I know... I did this at night once to check. And nothing
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 09:08 PM   #22
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep

The dimming mirrors worked the same in 07. I'm guessing the dealer was lazy and/or missed the problem. Testing on another car is a good idea, but just have them pull the loaner around and do the same test on that car and yours. If it's as obvious as you say it is (I'm certainly not doubting you) then it should be obvious to them there's a problem.

And it does appear you have ZPP, based on what you described. Lumbar, Bluetooth/BMW Assist, and power folding mirrors are the giveaways.

X7 LCI // Incoming
Appreciate 0