E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > New to E90, Need some crucial advice!

11-14-2010, 01:04 PM   #1
Kilsic
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 340xi

New to E90, Need some crucial advice!

Hello E90ers,

I've recently bought a 2006 BMW 330i that was in an accident. The damage is not too bad and it is definitely repairable. I have a few questions that hopefully some of the more experienced members may know.

1) Both airbags deployed. I was quoted $1400 for the steering wheel airbag and $1300 for the passenger airbag. Im pretty sure I can get these parts for way cheaper, whats my best option? Scrapyard? Also, I noticed that there are many members that are selling steering wheels with airbags included. If I purchased a sport steering wheel with an airbag for my car which didn't have the sport package are there any issues with that? Fitting/computer etc?
Also, are clock springs usually included in the steering wheel assembly? Ill also need a airbag control module, any ideas where I could find that part for sale?

2) Windsheild, the front windshield got smashed thanks to the passenger airbag going off. Does anyone know a Canadian based company that has good quality and priced windshields?

3) Engine cradle (crossmember) - I was quoted $700 for a used one, anyone know a good place to find cheaper ones?

4) Suspension - The left side suspension needs replacement, am I better off to just replace the whole suspension? Also, the mechanic mentioned that I'll need the full suspension assembly, does anyone know what the whole suspension assembly includes?

Im really hoping that some of you members can provide some assistance as im new the BMW world and im not sure about the best websites or ways to get better priced parts. Im open to any input and would be greatly appreciative if anyone can help answer my questions.

Thanks a lot!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 07:33 PM   #2
crashoverride
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: na

My car was in an accident I took it to the only factory certified BMW body shop in the state. One thing they pointed out that often gets missed is when an airbag goes off the seatbelt tensioners go off in only the seats in front with passengers (you had both airbags go off so both seatbelt tensioners need replacing) Also since no seat sensor in back the tensioner back there are triggered by the driver airbag so they went off too and you need to replace every seatbelt tensioner in car for you on this one buddy. He showed me how they were pulled in under seat in backseat. There probably other hidden things to look for like this too. Hoping the car didn't have HID Lights those are $2,500+ a piece.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 08:21 PM   #3
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
My advice is that you shouldn't have bought a salvage title....
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 09:11 PM   #4
crashoverride
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: na

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
My advice is that you shouldn't have bought a salvage title....
Booh yeaa you been told..... with more helpful advice like this you might learn after getting shot that you shouldn't have gotten shot. When your getting a divorce that you shouldn't have married that girl and after your house falls in a sink hole that you should have just rented an apartment.....My gawd.. add something helpful or why bother at all....
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 09:29 PM   #5
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
I'm sorry I don't have anything positive to say....but it is advice, just negative. No one said it had to be positive or helpful.

If the OP researched the car before buying it he would have found out that rebuilding a salvage title will cost just as much, maybe more than if he were to buy a used car, that was never in an accident. He would have a decent value of the car too.

From what the OP provided there is easily 5K in damage to components minus body work/paint.

The KBB value of my car at 59K in "good" condition is 22K.

The OP, probably paid around 12K for the car. Add the 5K plus another 2 or 3K for paint/body work, fees for inspecting a salvage vehicle to pass state inspection and re title the car and there you have a depreciated vehicle that wasn't worth it to buy. And if you he replaces parts with used part, it will depreciate even more.

BTW I don't see how the seat belt tensioners are overlooked....when my seat belt tensioner failed, my car tripped an error. I would think after an accident the same errors would be tripped.....

And xenons run about $1300 for a set, brand new....not "$2500+ a piece."

I'll try to post more helpful things in the future and you can work on posting correct information...ok?

Last edited by fdriller9; 11-14-2010 at 09:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 09:34 PM   #6
slim_e90
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM E-88

just some input... with a car with as much technology as an e90, it's not like the old mechanical only cars... i agree with taking it to a certified shop for your safety

|move over... please|
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 05:35 AM   #7
J02 335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

This thread scares me, you buy a car that is "destroyed" and ask questions like "does the steering wheel come with a clock spring" and have no idea where to buy used parts? Where to get a good quality windshield?

Sounds like somebody make a bad decision. I would bet you the price of that car you could have bought one with a clean title for less, by the time the repairs are done on it.

Sport pack, JB3, Dci, factory oil cooler, 18" M3 reps, Michelin PSS, painted trim, black grills, smoked side markers, LED plate lights, H&R coils, Borla catback
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 07:39 AM   #8
bimmer_335
Major
Rep
Drives: 540 mSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashoverride View Post
Booh yeaa you been told..... with more helpful advice like this you might learn after getting shot that you shouldn't have gotten shot. When your getting a divorce that you shouldn't have married that girl and after your house falls in a sink hole that you should have just rented an apartment.....My gawd.. add something helpful or why bother at all....
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 02:14 PM   #9
BMWs4ever
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

Garage List
2001.5 Passat GLX V6  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Apple Auto Glass is definitely not the cheapest but is the best for quality. If I were you I would go with an OEM windshield.

Just wondering how much did you pay for it and how many Kms on it????
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 02:43 PM   #10
Bslaw83
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
I'm sorry I don't have anything positive to say....but it is advice, just negative. No one said it had to be positive or helpful.

If the OP researched the car before buying it he would have found out that rebuilding a salvage title will cost just as much, maybe more than if he were to buy a used car, that was never in an accident. He would have a decent value of the car too.

From what the OP provided there is easily 5K in damage to components minus body work/paint.

The KBB value of my car at 59K in "good" condition is 22K.

The OP, probably paid around 12K for the car. Add the 5K plus another 2 or 3K for paint/body work, fees for inspecting a salvage vehicle to pass state inspection and re title the car and there you have a depreciated vehicle that wasn't worth it to buy. And if you he replaces parts with used part, it will depreciate even more.

BTW I don't see how the seat belt tensioners are overlooked....when my seat belt tensioner failed, my car tripped an error. I would think after an accident the same errors would be tripped.....

And xenons run about $1300 for a set, brand new....not "$2500+ a piece."

I'll try to post more helpful things in the future and you can work on posting correct information...ok?
yes, but the OP did buy this car in the condition he did. he did not ask if he got a good deal or what you thought about his situation. he simply asked if we could point him in the right direction, which you did none of. so why not try and help him if you're going to post rather than just rip on HIS decisions on what to do with HIS money.

to the OP--Good luck man, i hope more knowledgable people get on here and help you out rather than be jerks
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 02:58 PM   #11
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bslaw83 View Post
yes, but the OP did buy this car in the condition he did. he did not ask if he got a good deal or what you thought about his situation. he simply asked if we could point him in the right direction, which you did none of. so why not try and help him if you're going to post rather than just rip on HIS decisions on what to do with HIS money.

to the OP--Good luck man, i hope more knowledgable people get on here and help you out rather than be jerks
lol besides wishing the OP good luck your post didn't contribute anything either....

Quoting the OP's original post:

"Im open to any input and would be greatly appreciative if anyone can help answer my questions."

I gave my "any" input....

I'm sure the OP didn't appreciate it and for that, my apologies.

EDIT: Also, OP, I'm sorry for jacking your thread.

Last edited by fdriller9; 11-18-2010 at 03:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 03:15 PM   #12
tscdennab
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW  [6.24]
OP, you cand send a PM to the user "klipsracer" on this forum. He bought and repaired a damaged 335i on his own, and it seems he did a good job at that.

But on a side note, I don't think you should have bought that car before asking around how much does this and that cost...
Appreciate 0