E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > HPFP - Give it a rest...

11-17-2010, 08:45 PM   #1
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

HPFP - Give it a rest...

Geez...all this hemming and hawing about the HPFP issue. I think anyone would have to agree that turbocharged engines don't have a long, tried and true history at BMW and, quite frankly, if you want to be an early adopter of a company's technology, you need to be prepared to pay the price of doing so. That's so whether one buys a fancy new cell phone/computer or a car. Moreover, the HPFP thing happens to a small percentage of owners yet it's blown out of proportion here in these forums.
  • HPFP failures are hardly a reason to buy/not buy an N54/N55 engine.
  • HPFP issues are hardly a reason to decry an entire brand of vehicle.
  • Nobody has to go out of pocket to repair their HPFP failure.
  • The 335i HPFP, or not, is still a more pleasurable/fun/rewarding car to drive each day than most other cars one can buy.
  • If you bought your 335i for some reason other than what the car is made to be, you bought the wrong car.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 08:48 PM   #2
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
HPFP is more associated with direct injection than it is with turbocharging, which BMW has plenty of experience with:

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 08:52 PM   #3
e92-335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Geez...all this hemming and hawing about the HPFP issue. I think anyone would have to agree that turbocharged engines don't have a long, tried and true history at BMW and, quite frankly, if you want to be an early adopter of a company's technology, you need to be prepared to pay the price of doing so. That's so whether one buys a fancy new cell phone/computer or a car. Moreover, the HPFP thing happens to a small percentage of owners yet it's blown out of proportion here in these forums.
  • The 335i HPFP, or not, is still a more pleasurable/fun/rewarding car to drive each day than most other cars one can buy.
  • If you bought your 335i for some reason other than what the car is made to be, you bought the wrong car.
      11-17-2010, 08:52 PM   #4
tizzyd
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i 6MT

Garage List
2003.5 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 335i Coupe  [8.50]
Quote:
I agree 100% with you. Couldn't have said it better myself.
2007 E60 M5 6MT (Interlagos/Silverstone Full) | 2013 F10 M5 6MT (Imola Red/Black Full) | 2022 BMW M5 CS (Brands Hatch Grey) | 2006 E46 M3 Comp 6MT (Silver Grey/Black, CSL clone) | 2011.5 E92 M3 (Fire Orange/Black Recaros, 4.6L Stroker, GTS Clone) | 2011 1M (Valencia Orange/Black)
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 08:55 PM   #5
gary88
Ikea enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [7.96]
      11-17-2010, 08:55 PM   #6
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Tony - how many HPFP failures have you had?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 08:58 PM   #7
Javier
Major
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

nice pics ^
      11-17-2010, 09:11 PM   #8
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

If General Motors or Ford built a sports sedan and sports coupe with the reliability of the E9X chassis, this forum would be full of American-auto bashing Roundel lovers (even worse than it already is).

Why you guys put up with a POS such as the N54 is a mystery. You guys take it up the butt and bend over for more. "Well at least it hasn't cost anyone here out of pocket" what back-ass kind of logic is that? Most of you guys are scared to drive your car out of sight of a BMW repair center let alone dare to keep the car past an extended 100,000 mile warranty.

Come on Man!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 09:15 PM   #9
crazydrummer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i 08

30,100 miles and only 1 hpfp. But i kinda contribute that to the previous owner having it over 400whp lol
      11-17-2010, 09:19 PM   #10
username604
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
Why you guys put up with a POS such as the N54 is a mystery. You guys take it up the butt and bend over for more.
Have you driven a N54? Obviously not! dude, you're missing out. (i'm just messing with you)
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 09:23 PM   #11
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkneiber View Post
Have you driven a N54? Obviously not! dude, you're missing out. (i'm just messing with you)
After you've owned a liter-class sport bike, every car seems slow... Don't need a N54 for my rocks to get off.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 09:55 PM   #12
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1111 View Post
Tony - how many HPFP failures have you had?
None...which has a lot to do with my point...

I have nearly 40K miles on my car and not one single problem..and to hear all the whinging on this forum about it, one'd think it was the end of the world.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 09:58 PM   #13
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

I'm still waiting for some sort of real fix. Then all will be good.

(after I probably end up having to spend multi-thousands out of pocket for the "real" fix)
      11-17-2010, 10:01 PM   #14
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

LOL

I do feel for the people with a 2k11 and their cars mysteriously stalled, or had a long crank, or a SES turned on. What they're about to go through (I feel like what's that show my grandpa liked, Rod Serling in Twilight Zone) is going to be a long, frustrating, and unpredictable journey. Will their car be bought back? Will they eventually be fixed in 5-8 visits? Nobody knows, when their dealership of choice, is in the Twilight Zone.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 10:04 PM   #15
Bavarian E92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335 Montego

Quote:
None...which has a lot to do with my point...

I have nearly 40K miles on my car and not one single problem..and to hear all the whining on this forum about it, one'd think it was the end of the world.
You are the one whining. When your HPFP starts to fail, I will see you in the technical threads.
      11-17-2010, 10:11 PM   #16
Inspired
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian E92 View Post
You are the one whining. When your HPFP starts to fail, I will see you in the technical threads.
No one is whining and crying here. I would like to see your fuel pump get replaced 3x and see if you still have the same reaction,
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 10:16 PM   #17
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

I'm going to go start a thread to bitch about other people bitching. That will do some good!

Wait... Maybe not....

Like BTM said, this has nothing to do with turbocharging, and BMW isn't new to the concept of turbos at all. Your entire argument is faulty. There are cars out there packed with more tech than the 335, which have far fewer problems....

Honestly, why would you start a thread telling people to stop being pissed about the HPFP? Obviously you don't empathize, but that's only because it hasn't happened to you. Why do you think you can speak for the entire community?

I'll agree with the sentiment that the HPFP issue has been blown a bit out of proportion, but I'm not going to chastise people for expecting more out of BMW, because BMW should have produced something better in the first place and, if not, they should have engineered a fix by now.

Tony, do you know why they haven't engineered a fix? It's because of people like you. You're ok with the fueling system being mired in mediocrity because that's what you think should be the trade off for having a car like this. BMW doesn't have to fix the problem, just like how Apple could (and sometimes does) produce overpriced, underfeatured, malfunctioning crap.

It's bullshit, and it shouldn't simply be accepted. It's ok for you to voice your POV on the situation, but don't sit here and make a thread to bitch about people bitching, when you have no point of reference from which to empathize.

Mediocrity is OK with you. I was brought up to accept, and I have come to expect, better than that, especially when I'm doling out this much of my own money for something.

Just my $.02
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 10:20 PM   #18
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

You know what's even more annoying than the multiple HPFP fail threads per day on here?...

... the threads about the hpfp fail threads
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 10:36 PM   #19
Tortfeasor 335xi
Corporate Hack
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi Coupe

So, following your logic that everyone should stop whining about dangerous product defects, everyone who had family members killed by the Ford Pinto's gas tank exploding should shut their gobs because:

* Gas tank explosions are hardly a reason to buy/not buy a Pinto.
* Exploding gas tanks are hardly a reason to decry an entire brand of vehicle.
* Nobody has to go out of pocket to repair their exploded gas tanks, likely because they are dead, but if they survive because since they were rear ended its on the other guy's insurance.
* The Pinto, is still a more pleasurable/fun/rewarding car to drive each day than most other cars one can buy.
* If you bought your Pinto for some reason other than what the car is made to be, you bought the wrong exploding car.

Its only slightly less ridiculous when you say it about the 335 and HPFP.
Really Much Earlier Car: 1988 Mazda 626 TURBO
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 10:45 PM   #20
atlharry
Second Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortfeasor 335xi View Post
So, following your logic that everyone should stop whining about dangerous product defects, everyone who had family members killed by the Ford Pinto's gas tank exploding should shut their gobs because:

* Gas tank explosions are hardly a reason to buy/not buy a Pinto.
* Exploding gas tanks are hardly a reason to decry an entire brand of vehicle.
* Nobody has to go out of pocket to repair their exploded gas tanks, likely because they are dead, but if they survive because since they were rear ended its on the other guy's insurance.
* The Pinto, is still a more pleasurable/fun/rewarding car to drive each day than most other cars one can buy.
* If you bought your Pinto for some reason other than what the car is made to be, you bought the wrong exploding car.

Its only slightly less ridiculous when you say it about the 335 and HPFP.
Wait... my HPFP is going to explode?!?! I keed I keed!

Seriously though... not QUITE as bad as an exploding gas tank.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 10:46 PM   #21
slimmie
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
I'm going to go start a thread to bitch about other people bitching. That will do some good!

Wait... Maybe not....

Like BTM said, this has nothing to do with turbocharging, and BMW isn't new to the concept of turbos at all. Your entire argument is faulty. There are cars out there packed with more tech than the 335, which have far fewer problems....

Honestly, why would you start a thread telling people to stop being pissed about the HPFP? Obviously you don't empathize, but that's only because it hasn't happened to you. Why do you think you can speak for the entire community?

I'll agree with the sentiment that the HPFP issue has been blown a bit out of proportion, but I'm not going to chastise people for expecting more out of BMW, because BMW should have produced something better in the first place and, if not, they should have engineered a fix by now.

Tony, do you know why they haven't engineered a fix? It's because of people like you. You're ok with the fueling system being mired in mediocrity because that's what you think should be the trade off for having a car like this. BMW doesn't have to fix the problem, just like how Apple could (and sometimes does) produce overpriced, underfeatured, malfunctioning crap.

It's bullshit, and it shouldn't simply be accepted. It's ok for you to voice your POV on the situation, but don't sit here and make a thread to bitch about people bitching, when you have no point of reference from which to empathize.

Mediocrity is OK with you. I was brought up to accept, and I have come to expect, better than that, especially when I'm doling out this much of my own money for something.

Just my $.02
+100 woww.. pwnage.. u basically covered all bases
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 10:52 PM   #22
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Ragingclue....well stated!

Tortfeasor.....that was good.

For those that think losing power on the highway is not big deal, just pull over and you are fine. I am more concerned about the other drivers on the road who may not be paying atttention.
Saw this on TV and thought about the 6 times my car died on the highway.
I AM AWARE IT IS A VERY EXTREME CASE BUT IT SHOWS WHAT MANY PEOPLE ARE WORRIED ABOUT.
Note the van on the highway and then at about 19 seconds into the video see what happens.