E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Warning messenges covered under warranty?

12-30-2010, 09:15 PM   #1
evicfinite
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 BMW

Warning messenges covered under warranty?

is this covered under bmw warranty?

also i hit a pot hole... and this went off.. so i'm guessing it triggered a malfunction somehow...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2007 BMW 328i Coupe|Sapphire Black|Gray Poplar Wood Trim|Premium Package|Sports Package|Navigation iDrive|Park Distance|Aero Body Kit|Logic 7

Last edited by evicfinite; 12-30-2010 at 10:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 09:52 PM   #2
evicfinite
Private First Class
Rep

also is their any safety concerns i should be aware of?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2007 BMW 328i Coupe|Sapphire Black|Gray Poplar Wood Trim|Premium Package|Sports Package|Navigation iDrive|Park Distance|Aero Body Kit|Logic 7
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 09:58 PM   #3
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
Hitting a pot hole and expecting BMW to fix the damage is not going to fly.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 10:01 PM   #4
evicfinite
Private First Class
Rep

yea but for a system to break this easily is kind of weak....

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 10:06 PM   #5
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

You must have really whacked that pothole. The damage won't be covered by BMW but you can file a claim with the municipality where the pothole is located or with you insurance company.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 10:09 PM   #6
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Take it to the dealer and play dumb (I was riding along and while I was stopped at a light these warning messages popped up....). Just make sure you put in writing on their check-in sheet to only perform warranty work.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 10:19 PM   #7
evicfinite
Private First Class
Rep

thats what i was going to do... cause nothing is wrong with the car... i'm guessing it might have just loosened something up...

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 10:23 PM   #8
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evicfinite View Post
thats what i was going to do... cause nothing is wrong with the car... i'm guessing it might have just loosened something up...
You may have damaged an ABS sensor. Do your headlights still level (if you have HIDs?)
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 10:28 PM   #9
Barbera335
Captain
Rep
Drives: F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by evicfinite View Post
Is your steering wheel off center while driving straight. That is the most likely cause of the warnings. I'm almost 100% positive you knocked your alignment off when you hit the pothole. An alignment and recalibrating your steering angle sensor should fix it as long as you did'nt bend any suspension components. I also love the advice on here to scam the dealer and play dumb, and people wonder why society is falling apart, there are no ethics or morals anymore.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 10:29 PM   #10
Barbera335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post
You may have damaged an ABS sensor. Do your headlights still level (if you have HIDs?)
ABS wheel speed sensors have nothing to do with headlight leveling or the adaptive feature. Leveling is controlled by front and rear suspension ride height sensors and adaptive lights are controlled by the steering angle sensor connected to the steering column near the steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 10:35 PM   #11
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbera335 View Post
ABS wheel speed sensors have nothing to do with headlight leveling or the adaptive feature. Leveling is controlled by front and rear suspension ride height sensors and adaptive lights are controlled by the steering angle sensor connected to the steering column near the steering wheel.
Sorry if you assumed that I connected the two. As you said they are two separate items.

However, severe pothole hits often damage the headlighting system as well and the affected HID lighting unit will go into "safe mode" and point downwards.

The malfunctions noted on the nav screen may well be connected to a damaged sensor.

One pothole can cause two separate problems. I should have explained my questions better.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 10:36 PM   #12
evicfinite
Private First Class
Rep

yea my headlights are perfectly fine... they move around when i turn still and seem leveled...

i haven't notice any alignment off centering... other then since i changed the tires 4 months ago the alignment was slightly off, but still straight in my book, but that didn't throw any codes....

also the warnings codes didnt go off till today... and that happened yesterday...
weird....

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 10:37 PM   #13
Barbera335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post
Sorry if you assumed that I connected the two. As you said they are two separate items.

However, severe pothole hits often damage the headlighting system as well and the affected HID lighting unit will go into "safe mode" and point downwards.

The malfunctions noted on the nav screen may well be connected to a damaged sensor.

One pothole can cause two separate problems. I should have explained my questions better.
Fair enough, it is possible there may be a damaged sensor but my money still goes on the OPs wheel alignment is off because of the pothole.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 11:12 PM   #14
ChuckBMW3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 335i

Definitely the steering angle sensor. Mine went out last year and the idrive displayed the exact same warnings. It's an easy fix at the dealer that will be covered under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 11:26 PM   #15
BlackBimmer1991
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black f32 428i xdrive

Quote:
I also love the advice on here to scam the dealer and play dumb, and people wonder why society is falling apart, there are no ethics or morals anymore.
+1
      12-30-2010, 11:32 PM   #16
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Quote:
I also love the advice on here to scam the dealer and play dumb, and people wonder why society is falling apart, there are no ethics or morals anymore.
It is not a scam, if he hit it hard enough, it doesn't matter what he says, they will show him that his suspension was bent beyond normal driving.

Yeah, poor poor dealerships. OP: tell the truth that you hit a pothole and it's your fault and you will pay for it. We wouldn't want the dealership/BMW to go bankrupt. lol
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 11:41 PM   #17
evicfinite
Private First Class
Rep

lol u guys are very knowledgeable...

i probably wont play dumb... but i'll just book an appointment and if they find anything wrong that i was at fault then i'll say what happened... and if they dont find anything wrong and fix the problem under the warranty.... then all the better...

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 07:55 AM   #18
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Is your steering wheel off center while driving straight. That is the most likely cause of the warnings. I'm almost 100% positive you knocked your alignment off when you hit the pothole. An alignment and recalibrating your steering angle sensor should fix it as long as you did'nt bend any suspension components. I also love the advice on here to scam the dealer and play dumb, and people wonder why society is falling apart, there are no ethics or morals anymore.
I know where you're coming from, but I don't think it's scamming the dealership to bring it in under warranty. When my car died on the expressway on 3 ocassions, I was the one who was treated as if I were trying to scam them, which I did not appreciate--the fat a** SA even told me to stop going on the internet, there is a lot of wrong information on "the forum." That's why before XMAS I drove about 18 miles out of my way to use another dealership for my state inspection (the one that I now use near my work is not in the state where I live so they can't do it).

As far as society falling apart, I attribute that to everything being dumbed down. Like when the auto insurance agent, mortgage officer, financial advisers of the world can't even answer ordinary day-to-day questions, yet they are licensed and have 4+ year degrees. It's as if life is one big bluff....
Appreciate 0