E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > New to BMW considering 2007 335i coupe

01-10-2011, 03:24 PM   #1
fuforums
United_States
Rep
Drives: none yet

New to BMW considering 2007 335i coupe

Hello all. I'm a new forum member looking for recommendations on a 2007 335i coupe for sale that I'm thinking of purchasing. I've never owned a BMW before but have owned Volkswagens so I'm used to and like the German styling, handling, and so forth.

If I take a test drive what would be some of your recommendations of what to look for as far as problem points, wear and tear items, and options? I don't want to be duped into buying a car and getting something that isn't worth the money.

Any help would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 03:47 PM   #2
pdogg93
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe

I love my 2007 335i coupe. I came from a 2003 6mt g35 and the BMW completely blows it away.

If I were you, I'd look for a fully loaded 335i coupe. I would, first and foremost, get a service history report on the vehicle (in conjunction with carfax) to make sure you know what you're buying.

Also, make sure it still has warranty (CPO or whatever). When I bought mine a couple months ago, the only thing I noticed was a leak in the transmission sleave. This turned out to be an easy fix.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 03:47 PM   #3
Dj_Frost
Second Lieutenant
Panama
Rep
Drives: 07 335i & 94 3000GT VR4

HPFP

Well, that's kind of inevitable but look for start/idle issues, make sure its super smooth. I have a problem right now which I can't figure out what the hell it is (07 335i as well).

[Race] 1994 Rare Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4
[Daily] 2007 BMW E92 335i 6MT
SPECS: [SpaceGray.Sport.Premium.Nav] MODS: [BTDCI.AAFMIC.AABOV.EBAYDP.?EXHAUST.VPROCEDE.BSHOCC]
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 04:15 PM   #4
chucktang
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e92

just purchased my '07 335i e92 11 days ago fully loaded. Warranty runs for another 8 months, mileage is around 41K. Even had some light wear/tear peeling on the steering wheel which was replaced for free under warranty. Loving my purchase so far, especially since it was in a color that I loved (exterior and interior). I was able to purchase for about $5K under KBB value in the northern california bay area region (independent dealer).
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 06:01 PM   #5
hipnotic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2008 335i coupe  [7.00]
good luck
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 06:13 PM   #6
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Whatever car you get, try to get at minimum 12 mos. of the original warranty, and then an extra 2 years via CPO. That probably means 2k8 and roughly 32k. I wouldn't bother with a 2k7 even though you may save 6k...
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 06:16 PM   #7
fuforums
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Whatever car you get, try to get at minimum 12 mos. of the original warranty, and then an extra 2 years via CPO. That probably means 2k8 and roughly 32k. I wouldn't bother with a 2k7 even though you may save 6k...
Why would you not bother with a 2007? The dealer gives a 2 yr, 24,000 mile warranty on all their cars. supposedly, "hand picked" whatever that means.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 06:18 PM   #8
Xwahoo
Uncool Old Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe

The consensus of opinion on this board seems to be that a CPO or purchased extended warranty is a must. You can buy the extended warranty from a BMW dealer up to the point that your 4 year/50K original warranty expires. I'm going to do that myself.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 06:34 PM   #9
fuforums
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xwahoo View Post
The consensus of opinion on this board seems to be that a CPO or purchased extended warranty is a must. You can buy the extended warranty from a BMW dealer up to the point that your 4 year/50K original warranty expires. I'm going to do that myself.
Well, it has 60,000 miles on it but it looks really nice. I just wanted to be prepared before I went to drive and negotiated for it. I've had problems before with warranties not being honored but maybe that was just bad luck on my part.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 06:44 PM   #10
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuforums View Post
Why would you not bother with a 2007? The dealer gives a 2 yr, 24,000 mile warranty on all their cars. supposedly, "hand picked" whatever that means.
If I could do it again, I'd go for the sweet spot, not the cheapest, not the most expensive. Don't mistake the original factory warranty for the extended warranty (many things not covered and $50 per visit). You want to break the car like a bronco under the original warranty. hand picked? Where'd you go, Juan Valdez BMW?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 06:50 PM   #11
fuforums
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
If I could do it again, I'd go for the sweet spot, not the cheapest, not the most expensive. Don't mistake the original factory warranty for the extended warranty (many things not covered and $50 per visit). You want to break the car like a bronco under the original warranty. hand picked? Where'd you go, Juan Valdez BMW?
it's one of those luxury auto dealers that only sells high end used cars. they also have quite a few new car dealerships around town but not bmw. I just don't want to get a 3000 dollar bill in order to replace something simple like an alternator. I can do my own regular maintenance. but I want to drive a car not have it in the shop forever .

I appreciate all the comments, keep them coming.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 06:52 PM   #12
Php
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: CaymanS, used to be e92 335

I just traded my 2007 335 coupe about 3 weeks ago. It was the best car I owned. Many said or have experienced hpfp problems, but for the 20k+ miles I've owned the car, I have had no problems at all. So go search for a good one and you won't regret it. If you go for a 07 now, I would consider a CPO or at least some kind of extended warranty, as the car has turbos.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 06:57 PM   #13
ScaredOnce
Very Important
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi (e92)

Garage List
Quote:
Well, it has 60,000 miles on it but it looks really nice. I just wanted to be prepared before I went to drive and negotiated for it. I've had problems before with warranties not being honored but maybe that was just bad luck on my part.
Obviously, it's ultimately your call... But, I wouldn't get into a used vehicle that is outside of the original warranty or north of 20k miles. But, if you want it and you're gonna be happy with it, that's all that matters.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 06:59 PM   #14
Thussy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Great timing, I'm in the same boat, but I'm looking at 2008 E92s in Canada (which go for high $30K from regular dealers, and mid $40K CPO).. and the CDN dollar is trading higher than the US dollar *sigh*.

I don't believe a CDN extended warranty exists for BMW outside of buying a CPO vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 08:32 PM   #15
username604
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
This guy just compare a golf to a 335i?
I'm just messin w/ you, go test drive a 335i, you'll love it. Make sure to get a cpo though, its worth it.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 08:37 PM   #16
fuforums
United_States
Rep

What are some of the things that the CPO warranty has covered and what are the costs of these items? For example, I was told to buy the warranty on my Touareg V10 Tdi because any repair done almost always requires removal of the engine (from below with trans and axle) so the cost is always 2000 plus no matter if it's the alternator or the turbo or the exhaust manifold gasket. You can't get to most of it from under the hood. I would assume these cars are easier to work on and I know parts are high but would a 3000$ warranty pay for itself? How long do they go for? 2 yrs? 5 extra years? What about mileage? This car at 60,000 is already past the original warrany I'm assuming. Will the CPO extend it further to 100?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 08:58 PM   #17
ScaredOnce
Very Important
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi (e92)

Garage List
Quote:
What are some of the things that the CPO warranty has covered and what are the costs of these items? For example, I was told to buy the warranty on my Touareg V10 Tdi because any repair done almost always requires removal of the engine (from below with trans and axle) so the cost is always 2000 plus no matter if it's the alternator or the turbo or the exhaust manifold gasket. You can't get to most of it from under the hood. I would assume these cars are easier to work on and I know parts are high but would a 3000$ warranty pay for itself? How long do they go for? 2 yrs? 5 extra years? What about mileage? This car at 60,000 is already past the original warrany I'm assuming. Will the CPO extend it further to 100?

I know some will consider posting "search", but I'd like to see some new updated answers to these questions in a concise location as well. I decided that I can't live without my BMW, so I need to know if I should knock-up/marry a rich girl before my warranty runs out or not on my 3. This is serious.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 09:15 PM   #18
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

As you've never had one, I recommend you buy as basic a BMW as you can find; seek one that has only the things you really need on a car. The standard 335i is quite reasonably equipped. (I bought mine with just the sport package, heated seats and leather, and I' got leather only because red isn't available in vinyl/leatherette.)

The whole point of a BMW is the handling. You can most certainly pay less and get a fine car with more gizmos and gadgets for less money. If, however, you really are into the handling (btw, all BMW 3ers handle the same if they have the same suspension on them). When you do your test drive, make sure you explore the car's ability to corner and look for how easily you can point the car to a spot in the road and it goes exactly there. Porsche's handle this way as well, but that's a whole different price range, above and beyond the price of the P-cars themselves.

The 335i's main problem is the HPFP failure issue and the fact that you must get a set of winter tires if you live where it snows. Personally, I have not experienced the HPFP issue and I"m just under 40K miles on mine.

Not sure why you've settled on a 335i, but I would also say that as you've not ever had a BMW, you should not ignore a 328i coupe, particularly if you find one at a good price. They are more than suitable as daily drivers (let's be real...who needs to do 0-60 in 4.9 seconds in their daily driving?), don't have the HPFP issue at all, and assuming you were willing to spend the additional sum to get a 335i, were you to buy a 328i, you'd get a few more of the creature comforts. If you are considering putting your car on a track, unless you actually are racing someone, it really won't matter which car you use. You'll have the thrill of the driving either way. I would recommend the 328i also because being it's your first BMW, you definitely don't want to run into the HPFP thing -- it'll be a hassle, even though you won't have to pay to fix the problem if it occurs (it happens to about 5% of BMW the cars with the N54 engine, as is in the 335i. You'll find lots of grumbling about the HPFP thing in this forum, but not one BMW owner I actually know (about 20 people) has actually encountered the problem.

Again, to share my experience, I drive the 335i because it was the one with the red seats that my dealer had, not because I particularly wanted the faster car. I recently bought my daughter a 328i wagon and I also bought a 328i sedan for a family member who's suffered a catastrophe. Having driven them all, there's really nothing particularly spectacular about the 335i if it is to be your daily driver.

The one thing to consider when buying a BMW that's about to go off warranty/free maintenance is that they aren't inexpensive if something does need fixing. It's been my experience that if one doesn't mess around and skip/fall behind on the regular upkeep, and isn't racing the car at the track, BMWs are quite reliable and will give you years of service.

My 335i is my second BMW. Like you, I buy cars to use them for a purpose and I don't dispose of them until they stop serving that purpose. My daughter's is (technically seeing as I paid for it) my third. At some point, I'll have to replace my SUV and I'll certainly consider the X5 or X3 (or whatever they call it by the time I need to do that), but I'm not such a BMW fan that I think their SUVs are the best ones on the road for hauling and whatnot, so we'll see. I have an old hand-me-down large sedan that I need to replace and I'll buy a 528i. I just like the looks better than the E Class, and besides, that car's purpose will have nothing to do with handling beyond drives to restaurants, theaters, and social events.

Well, those are my recommendations. I'd say if this is the first one, and you are conscious of what your are spending, be as frugal as you can. If you start to feel like you made the wrong choice at some point, at least you'll have not spent the farm on it. Let me reiterate, though, that the point of a BMW is first and foremost, the fact that they out handle any of their peers. BMWs are not in all cases faster, but in nearly all cases, they are far more maneuverable and offer the utility most folks need in a primary vehicle. If that's not really something that's meaningful to you, I'd say you may want to get an Infiniti G35/37.

I've been driving a BMW 3er as my daily driver car since 1993. My first BMW was a 1993 318i 5MT with just a sunroof and heated seats. (I can assure you the vinyl will outlast the leather.) My 318i is still on the road; I gave it to a cousin. It now has over 300K miles on it. The car has been quite meticulously maintained mechanically. The paint isn't so great. I'd have to ask my cousin what they've done that's major. I gave it away at 158K miles and at that point, the sole thing that had gone wrong was the driver's side fog lamp wiring. I never fixed it.

Good luck and welcome to BMW if that's how you decide in the end.

Last edited by tony20009; 01-10-2011 at 09:26 PM.. Reason: clarified paragraph six; spelling; punctuation
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 09:28 PM   #19
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredOnce View Post
Obviously, it's ultimately your call... But, I wouldn't get into a used vehicle that is outside of the original warranty or north of 20k miles. But, if you want it and you're gonna be happy with it, that's all that matters.
I probably would not either for a 335 -- just because of the HPFP thing -- but I wouldn't be too worried about buying one that has a year of warranty left, particularly the 328i. That inline six is quite a good and durable power plant.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 09:41 PM   #20
fuforums
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
As you've never had one, I recommend you buy as basic a BMW as you can find; seek one that has only the things you really need on a car. The standard 335i is quite reasonably equipped. (I bought mine with just the sport package, heated seats and leather, and I' got leather only because red isn't available in vinyl/leatherette.)

The whole point of a BMW is the handling. You can most certainly pay less and get a fine car with more gizmos and gadgets for less money. If, however, you really are into the handling (btw, all BMW 3ers handle the same if they have the same suspension on them). When you do your test drive, make sure you explore the car's ability to corner and look for how easily you can point the car to a spot in the road and it goes exactly there. Porsche's handle this way as well, but that's a whole different price range, above and beyond the price of the P-cars themselves.

The 335i's main problem is the HPFP failure issue and the fact that you must get a set of winter tires if you live where it snows. Personally, I have not experienced the HPFP issue and I"m just under 40K miles on mine.

Not sure why you've settled on a 335i, but I would also say that as you've not ever had a BMW, you should not ignore a 328i coupe, particularly if you find one at a good price. They are more than suitable as daily drivers (let's be real...who needs to do 0-60 in 4.9 seconds in their daily driving?), don't have the HPFP issue at all, and assuming you were willing to spend the additional sum to get a 335i, were you to buy a 328i, you'd get a few more of the creature comforts. If you are considering putting your car on a track, unless you actually are racing someone, it really won't matter which car you use. You'll have the thrill of the driving either way. I would recommend the 328i also because being it's your first BMW, you definitely don't want to run into the HPFP thing -- it'll be a hassle, even though you won't have to pay to fix the problem if it occurs (it happens to about 5% of BMW the cars with the N54 engine, as is in the 335i. You'll find lots of grumbling about the HPFP thing in this forum, but not one BMW owner I actually know (about 20 people) has actually encountered the problem.

Again, to share my experience, I drive the 335i because it was the one with the red seats that my dealer had, not because I particularly wanted the faster car. I recently bought my daughter a 328i wagon and I also bought a 328i sedan for a family member who's suffered a catastrophe. Having driven them all, there's really nothing particularly spectacular about the 335i if it is to be your daily driver.

The one thing to consider when buying a BMW that's about to go off warranty/free maintenance is that they aren't inexpensive if something does need fixing. It's been my experience that if one doesn't mess around and skip/fall behind on the regular upkeep, and isn't racing the car at the track, BMWs are quite reliable and will give you years of service.

My 335i is my second BMW. Like you, I buy cars to use them for a purpose and I don't dispose of them until they stop serving that purpose. My daughter's is (technically seeing as I paid for it) my third. At some point, I'll have to replace my SUV and I'll certainly consider the X5 or X3 (or whatever they call it by the time I need to do that), but I'm not such a BMW fan that I think their SUVs are the best ones on the road for hauling and whatnot, so we'll see. I have an old hand-me-down large sedan that I need to replace and I'll buy a 528i. I just like the looks better than the E Class, and besides, that car's purpose will have nothing to do with handling beyond drives to restaurants, theaters, and social events.

Well, those are my recommendations. I'd say if this is the first one, and you are conscious of what your are spending, be as frugal as you can. If you start to feel like you made the wrong choice at some point, at least you'll have not spent the farm on it. Let me reiterate, though, that the point of a BMW is first and foremost, the fact that they out handle any of their peers. BMWs are not in all cases faster, but in nearly all cases, they are far more maneuverable and offer the utility most folks need in a primary vehicle. If that's not really something that's meaningful to you, I'd say you may want to get an Infiniti G35/37.

I've been driving a BMW 3er as my daily driver car since 1993. My first BMW was a 1993 318i 5MT with just a sunroof and heated seats. (I can assure you the vinyl will outlast the leather.) My 318i is still on the road; I gave it to a cousin. It now has over 300K miles on it. The car has been quite meticulously maintained mechanically. The paint isn't so great. I'd have to ask my cousin what they've done that's major. I gave it away at 158K miles and at that point, the sole thing that had gone wrong was the driver's side fog lamp wiring. I never fixed it.

Good luck and welcome to BMW if that's how you decide in the end.

Thanks for the good tips.

What I am searching for is this:

Looks: The look of the Black Coupe with those wheels has me hooked. It's so badass I have been by to look at it 3 times already. I know the 328i is the same body. Is the suspension the same? What about wheel availability?

Reliability: I am TIRED of working on cars! I am too old and too fat and too lazy to crawl under cars all the time. I will do my own oil changes but I just want to drive it and enjoy it.

Driving fun: Obviously everyone wants the fastest and best handling car ever. I don't want to get a 328 and always wonder what it would be like to have those turbos. I've driven only turbo cars for ten years and hate to go N/A but I know that engine is a good one. I will consider the 328.

I would rather have a little more reliability than HP and keep a little money in my pocket or trade that difference in money leftover for a CPO.

Thanks for your help and opinions
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 10:45 PM   #21
Acepilot01
Second to None
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Space Grey 6sp Man

Quote:
Thanks for the good tips.

What I am searching for is this:

Looks: The look of the Black Coupe with those wheels has me hooked. It's so badass I have been by to look at it 3 times already. I know the 328i is the same body. Is the suspension the same? What about wheel availability?

Reliability: I am TIRED of working on cars! I am too old and too fat and too lazy to crawl under cars all the time. I will do my own oil changes but I just want to drive it and enjoy it.

Driving fun: Obviously everyone wants the fastest and best handling car ever. I don't want to get a 328 and always wonder what it would be like to have those turbos. I've driven only turbo cars for ten years and hate to go N/A but I know that engine is a good one. I will consider the 328.

I would rather have a little more reliability than HP and keep a little money in my pocket or trade that difference in money leftover for a CPO.

Thanks for your help and opinions
I recently purchased my 335i coupe about a few weeks ago. Before i made my final decision on weither to buy a 335 or a 328 i made sure i did my research and test drove both cars before i made my final choice. I would personally say go with the 335 if the HPFP issue doesnt scare you it thing its worth it. Its too fun not to own. P.S. get the manual transmission
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 01:19 AM   #22
san6279
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

If you get a 2007 335i, make sure it comes with the aux oil cooler (look for grill in the front passenger wheel well). Some early builds did not. Simplified explanation, so do a search to find out more.
Appreciate 0