E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Dinan prices? You've gotta be kidding me...

01-10-2011, 04:03 PM   #1
HollowPoints
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Dinan prices? You've gotta be kidding me...

What's with Dinan's pricing? Aside from someone upgrading a car still under warranty, who'd buy this? I know that Dinan is an established BMW tuner, but still...I can't see any justification for the (over)pricing. Are the products REALLY that good that Dinan can charge that much more over other tuners/part manufacturers?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 04:04 PM   #2
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

People pay for name and warranty...
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 04:14 PM   #3
WWONG
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d

One could argue why pay that much for a BMW when you can get a Corolla that also takes you from A to B

Last edited by WWONG; 01-10-2011 at 04:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 04:19 PM   #4
Funk365
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 328i Sport

The fact that BMW will still warranty your car is huge IMO and if it was in my budget I'd totally go that route over some third party tune / bolt-ons where I'd be sweating that they'd find something to screw me on everytime I got my oil changed.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 04:24 PM   #5
JohnSprm69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk365 View Post
The fact that BMW will still warranty your car
i believe this is the only reason
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 04:25 PM   #6
335e92tx
ahat
Rep
Drives: Was '07-335e92 - Now '13-335IS

The history with the name is such that (prior to the N54), it was one of the few aftermarket companies that offered any performance increase for various BMW models.

'13 335IS N54 (1 of 373 LeMans Blue out of 3597 total production e92)- Grey interior (1 of 24 in LMB with any trans- 1 of 14 with DCT)-MODS -MFactory LSD/MHD-BQ custom Tune/ATM-IC/AFE Momentum GT Intake/Konis/Mfront&HeimJoint Rear rods&arms/Brembos.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Lo6aHZRo7XqtPkhL8
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 04:38 PM   #7
TheRox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kaccordocoupe View Post
Despite the fact that the issues with overboosting yoru car will probably show up in greater effect after the 4 year warranty is up

Then Dinan just screws you.

You're probably better off getting JB3. I sincerely doubt Dinan's upgrades are going to prevent damage to the car...overboosting is overboosting regardless of shock, cold air intakes etc.

An engine is an engine. Wear is wear.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 04:46 PM   #8
HollowPoints
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWONG View Post
One could argue why pay that much for a BMW when you can get a Corolla that also bets you from A to B
Not really. Sure, both will get you from A to B, but you can't compare the performance of a Corolla to a Bimmer. The difference in money is not that it can do the job, but how well it does the job.

For example, Dinan's intercooler is listed for 1,799. Most other intercoolers come in @ 1,100 and under. Does the Dinan IC perform better than the others? Better build quality? And if so, how much more? And does that slight, if any, advantage justify the extra $700?

Even Dinan's reputation has to be questioned- I read about the fiasco involving the Z8/S2 conversion and the fact that they notched the chassis to fit headers...
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 04:49 PM   #9
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kaccordocoupe View Post
...and product development.

The piggybacks were released on the public basically untested. They have their sh*t together pretty well now, but they did not come out of the gates very well IMO.

I have not read very many threads complaining about Dinan limp modes drivability etc. The main complaint seems to be cost/hp but you know about that going in.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 04:54 PM   #10
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk365 View Post
The fact that BMW will still warranty your car is huge IMO and if it was in my budget I'd totally go that route over some third party tune / bolt-ons where I'd be sweating that they'd find something to screw me on everytime I got my oil changed.
That warranty coverage is in question too. I've been unable to find any documents that say that BMW treats Dinan any differently from any other aftermarket manufacturer.

Some BMW dealers are also Dinan dealerships and they'll take responsibility in most cases, but there are horror stories out there of both BMW and Dinan pointing fingers at each other and refusing to pay.

What happens when you break down miles from a BMW/Dinan dealer and the local BMW dealership gives you the finger?

While Dinan claims to "match the factory warranty" that terminology would indicate that Dinan, in fact, has no formal relationship with BMW and that the relationship is merely internet rumor.

Alpina is a different kettle of fish as they actually build cars for BMW and sell them with the Alpina name. Their relationship with BMW also goes back to the beginning of time (at least BMW automobile time.)

Can someone point to a BMW document that details their relationship? If so, then the products may be worth a premium.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 04:55 PM   #11
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Don't think because Dinan will take over the engine warranty there aren't any consequences with it. After the 4yr/50k is up you will not be able to extend your warranty with BMW since it had the Dinan flash. Dinan won't let you extend the warranty either. Also, BMW will not be able to CPO the car so you cannot get as much on a trade in. You're better off getting a piggy back and keeping your tune hush from big brother.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 08:44 AM   #12
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag824 View Post
Don't think because Dinan will take over the engine warranty there aren't any consequences with it. After the 4yr/50k is up you will not be able to extend your warranty with BMW since it had the Dinan flash. Dinan won't let you extend the warranty either. Also, BMW will not be able to CPO the car so you cannot get as much on a trade in. You're better off getting a piggy back and keeping your tune hush from big brother.
You mean "ripping him off" dont you?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 08:51 AM   #13
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Warranty and the name of course.

Unlike EVERYONE else who sells piggybacks and tunes Dinan supposedly will cover any warranty claim related to their product.

Dinan makes a good product. Their engineers are sold. Dinan built BMW engines won the Rolex series this year.

http://www.chipganassiracing.com/new...0841&tag_id=20
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 08:56 AM   #14
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRox View Post
Despite the fact that the issues with overboosting yoru car will probably show up in greater effect after the 4 year warranty is up

Then Dinan just screws you.

You're probably better off getting JB3. I sincerely doubt Dinan's upgrades are going to prevent damage to the car...overboosting is overboosting regardless of shock, cold air intakes etc.

An engine is an engine. Wear is wear.
335is has increased boost pressure and more HP than 335....................
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 09:49 AM   #15
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post
...and product development.

The piggybacks were released on the public basically untested. They have their sh*t together pretty well now, but they did not come out of the gates very well IMO.

I have not read very many threads complaining about Dinan limp modes drivability etc. The main complaint seems to be cost/hp but you know about that going in.
I'd agree with this statement. That, plus if you pay $50K for a new 335i, why would you want to put some cheapo piggyback on it that has very little in the way of real research and no provisions for preventing overheating/detonation and other destructive engne behavior? The one thing Dinan does that none of the others do is build real racing engines for real races - like the ALMS series, for example. Their resultant product is one where the engine's design limits aren't exceeded and are on the conservative side for longevity. Longevity is what wins real races.

Moral of the story here is quality - if you look at the entire picture, not just hp figures - is that you don't get what you don't pay for. If all you're interested in is being a street racer, then maybe a piggyback is the way to go. I've had Dinan on 2 330i's and my 335i for 10 years now, with never a warranty problem or any engine issues.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 10:04 AM   #16
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
I'd agree with this statement. That, plus if you pay $50K for a new 335i, why would you want to put some cheapo piggyback on it that has very little in the way of real research and no provisions for preventing overheating/detonation and other destructive engne behavior? The one thing Dinan does that none of the others do is build real racing engines for real races - like the ALMS series, for example. Their resultant product is one where the engine's design limits aren't exceeded and are on the conservative side for longevity. Longevity is what wins real races.

Moral of the story here is quality - if you look at the entire picture, not just hp figures - is that you don't get what you don't pay for. If all you're interested in is being a street racer, then maybe a piggyback is the way to go. I've had Dinan on 2 330i's and my 335i for 10 years now, with never a warranty problem or any engine issues.
street racer? thats laughable
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 10:08 AM   #17
RP86
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWONG View Post
One could argue why pay that much for a BMW when you can get a Corolla that also takes you from A to B
Same could be said for a jumpshot or a alley oop dunk..they both get you two points but what's more exciting.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 10:23 AM   #18
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Here is a bit of banter from another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by edo View Post
Is it very bad for the engine? I usually don't drive like this
Oil temperature was OK (~265F).
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Well it's not great for your engine given that you are at max load for so long with your max load being ~50% greater than stock. But we have done a lot on the tuning side of things to make it as safe as it is (boost adjustments based on ignition retard based on intake/coolant/oil temp). And of course autotuning which, at 70 seconds of WOT, is bound to make some pretty big changes based upon knock activity. So is it safer (from and engine longevity standpoint) than other tunes? Absolutely. Is it safe to do? I wouldnt do it. At least not unless I'm getting paid for it
I would not worry about putting my foot in a Dinan car and leaving it there. I may not accelerate as hard, but I would be able to drive it home.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 10:54 AM   #19
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: VALNCYA

Garage List
NO MORE WARRANTY WITH DINAN ! BMW & DINAN ARE NOT PARTNERS

everyone is being mis lead ! go get a JB3 or Procede !

sums it up

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...ore-dinan.html
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 11:11 AM   #20
Baldur Abendroth
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: the economy, SG e92 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post

Well according to this most people on this forum "just want to be street racers" ugh, good to see you still trying to justify your purchase.
      01-11-2011, 01:27 PM   #21
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusclezMarinara View Post
NO MORE WARRANTY WITH DINAN ! BMW & DINAN ARE NOT PARTNERS

everyone is being mis lead ! go get a JB3 or Procede !

sums it up

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...ore-dinan.html
But like every other BMW/Dinan post, the link you quoted is full of conjecture and internet rumor.

Do they or don't they? Only BMW and Dinan know for sure and they aren't talking.

Well - not really. BMW execs have come out to say that Dinan will be treated like any other aftermarket company and Dinan hides behind a "we match the factory warranty" but truth be told, it'll still turn into a pissing contest if something goes wrong and it'll be between the customer and Dinan.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 01:39 PM   #22
B3AST
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: with a huge grin (E90)

cool story bro's!!!