E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Peake Research Scan Tool review

01-20-2011, 09:02 AM   #1
325high
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3

Thumbs up Peake Research Scan Tool review

Just a quick positive review for Peake. I got Peake's scan tool a month ago and so far I'm very happy. I've had a SES light on for the past few days and the tool showed 2 ECU-signal related errors. Neither seemed very urgent so i sat on it for a few days. Today the SES light went out so I saved myself a trip to the shop. Without knowing the errors, I would def have taken it in immediately (i'm neurotic like that). Also, I've emailed their tech support on a few occasions and they are responsive and provide meaningful answers to my questions. Now that I have the tool and a Bentley manual, I plan to avoid the dealership and their exorbitantly priced services.

+1 for Peake
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 02:40 PM   #2
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Thanks for posting that. I am still torn between peake and BT scan tool.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 03:27 PM   #3
Jonny550
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
Thanks for posting that. I am still torn between peake and BT scan tool.
BT is the way to go, It gives you a more in depth scan of codes i.e. the source of the problem etc.

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 04:31 PM   #4
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

^ Peake tells you the exact part to place too, but the BT Tool does offer more things to do and see.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger

Last edited by Chriztofor; 01-20-2011 at 04:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 11:53 PM   #5
325high
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3

i just couldn't justify the price of the BT tool. In the end, neither has the capability of a big-boy BMW tool so error codes often necessitate a trip to the shop anyway (to take care of those all-too-common ecu/sensor issues). I just wanted a tool that would tell me what the issue is so i know that i can replace the part myself or if i have to bring it in.
Appreciate 0