E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Ethics of a Car Deal... What would you do?

02-01-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
eekthecat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 428i

Ethics of a Car Deal... What would you do?

Stuck with my first dealer

Last edited by eekthecat; 02-11-2011 at 05:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 09:00 PM   #2
BreakPoint
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

C, and if that doesn't work. B
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 09:02 PM   #3
khaye1
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 18 AW F80

I'll go for c and if you're scared of the lease return, return it somewhere else and pay the dispo fee
      02-01-2011, 09:04 PM   #4
hmmcolor
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i 6MT

What they said.
      02-01-2011, 09:04 PM   #5
Lefty061182
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i (Marina/Black)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakPoint View Post
C, and if that doesn't work. B
+1
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 09:18 PM   #6
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Your word is important, but like you said, business is business.

That said, the dealership experience is more important than a few $$.

AFAIK, lease turn-ins are handled by an outside company and not by the dealership, so dealer B probably can't help with that.

There isn't anything ethically wrong with telling dealer A that B called and wants your business and is willing to beat A's price. If the deal is reasonable I see no reason why they won't match it.

Your deposit IS refundable.

You need to decide which car you'd rather have and which dealership you'd rather deal with.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 09:18 PM   #7
IancoleTX
Dillo boxers
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Eh. There's something to be said for personal relationships.. I like to give my business to someone I like, all other things being reasonably equal. Your call though.
      02-01-2011, 09:32 PM   #8
07E92TT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 C63

sounds like you like Option B the best...which is what i'd do.
      02-01-2011, 09:35 PM   #9
rolling18
I AM the 12th. Emom
Rep
Drives: 07 335i SG

c

do you think the dealer would do the same for you?
dealers dont usually have ethics..
      02-01-2011, 09:51 PM   #10
halfpast3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY16 535i

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post
There isn't anything ethically wrong with telling dealer A that B called and wants your business and is willing to beat A's price. If the deal is reasonable I see no reason why they won't match it.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 09:52 PM   #11
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

e) go back to dealership A and tell them you want to buy, not lease a car. And tell them to give you the lowest possible price. Sometimes, all you have to do is ask. P.S. imho there's no "relationship" with dealerships, that's just a feel-good that some people want. When you don't care about that, you get a better deal. The Jaguar dealership treated me like someone who can't afford a V8 when they saw me drive-in with a lowly 335i. But just last week, I got my free Odyssey putter. I don't give a s*** how they treat anyone, I used them to get my free golf club. Maybe another dealership would have treated me better, but then I would have had to be nice and play footsie and actually test drive a Jaguar, which I didn't want to do.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 09:53 PM   #12
rolling18
I AM the 12th. Emom
Rep
Drives: 07 335i SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfpast3 View Post
C
yes and the dealer that "wants" your business will ultimately give you the "best" deal your in a good position..
      02-02-2011, 04:51 AM   #13
ww007
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e93 335i

Garage List
Definitely C. Your deposit should definitely be refundable (though I'd check with the dealer first).

Like you said, it's a business. You're not going to "ruin" any "relationship." You think Dealer A is being nice for his own health?

If they want your business, they'll match the offer. Simple as that.

As far as which car you want and how much you're willing to pay, that's your call. You're saying the monthly payments are pretty much a wash. As for the few weeks difference, in the grand scheme of things, that probably won't matter much. You don't want to be stuck with a car you don't want 2 years down the line just cuz it came in a few weeks sooner.

What is the $500 option btw?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 05:58 AM   #14
MacR6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

U should get out the door prices from both dealers. Dealer b may try to add on more at the close of the deal. Just saying, u don't want to burn the bridge at A if B ends up pulling some dealer tricks. And this way A knows u may be looking and may give u a better deal. Good luck.

The best deal is one that let's u feel like u got a good deal even if it wasn't. U could get a great deal and still feel like u got the shaft.

Good luck post the result.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 06:18 AM   #15
jw95275
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 Audi S5

Get dealer B's price in writing, then basically make it a blind auction in dealer A's part.

Let A know you have a better offer, but don't let them know the price no matter what. Then give them one chance to update their price. They should get close to bottomline if they're sincere. Otherwise, go with dealer B.

Most times they'll beg/trick/etc you to tell them what the other guy's price is so they can still maximize what they get out of you even when there is competition. I would consider them insincere if this is the case.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 06:27 AM   #16
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Genesis Sedan Rspec

coworker was looking for a certain color suv...

apparently this is so extremely rare there were none in NJ... so the local dealer (A) was going to give him his 2nd choice color.

Dealer (B) that was 2 hrs away called and said they "HAD" the color and would do a better deal then dealer (A)... well knowing this could be BS... he still drove up there and yes ofcourse the dealer DIDNT have the color and said the usual BS. however dealer (B) did beat the price from dealer (A) by a couple of grand for a different color suv.

ppp
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 06:31 AM   #17
ww007
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e93 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw95275 View Post
Get dealer B's price in writing, then basically make it a blind auction in dealer A's part.

Let A know you have a better offer, but don't let them know the price no matter what. Then give them one chance to update their price. They should get close to bottomline if they're sincere. Otherwise, go with dealer B.

Most times they'll beg/trick/etc you to tell them what the other guy's price is so they can still maximize what they get out of you even when there is competition. I would consider them insincere if this is the case.

Good luck.
That's pretty smart, I never thought of that actually. I guess I'm just a poor bargainer
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 09:19 AM   #18
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eekthecat View Post
What would you do?

• Ordered car from Dealer A at what is considered a reasonable amount over invoice, car is exactly as I wanted.
  • Dealer B calls, asking about my lease turn-in, and when told that I already have a deal with Dealer A, they beat the deal, and their car:
+ will be in a few weeks sooner
+ would be a few insignificant dollars cheaper per month
+ has an additional $500 'nice to have' option that I hadn't picked but would like
- has a different trim than I picked, not ideal but not terrible
  • I have a $500 deposit with Dealer A that I assume would at some point have to be returned to me.
  • I like and trust the CA at Dealer A more, he knows what he's talking about and is a really nice guy, but this is business...
  • Dealer B has made it known that they want my lease turn in because of its condition and mileage and might be willing to go easier on inspection.
Would you:
(a) Stay with Dealer A
(b) Go with Dealer B
(c) Use Dealer B's deal as leverage with A (with the possibility that I ruin the relationship with A and they try to ding me on my pristine, way under mileage lease return)
You made a deal with Dealer A. A deal is a deal. How would you like to have a guy walk on a deal in whatever your business is? Pretty sure he doesnt want your lease return as it would probably get wholesaled off unless it is really low mileage. Lease returns are handled by outside agency so they can't be used in new deal and car gets appraised properly...very smart on their part. The dealer would probably give you back your deposit but wtf is it for? He should keep it if you walk....but probably wouldnt.
Have some honor man. You made a deal.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 09:29 AM   #19
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
e) go back to dealership A and tell them you want to buy, not lease a car. And tell them to give you the lowest possible price. Sometimes, all you have to do is ask. P.S. imho there's no "relationship" with dealerships, that's just a feel-good that some people want. When you don't care about that, you get a better deal. The Jaguar dealership treated me like someone who can't afford a V8 when they saw me drive-in with a lowly 335i. But just last week, I got my free Odyssey putter. I don't give a s*** how they treat anyone, I used them to get my free golf club. Maybe another dealership would have treated me better, but then I would have had to be nice and play footsie and actually test drive a Jaguar, which I didn't want to do.
You have clearly never had a "relationship" with a dealer before. My last 3 Audis were from the same dealership. I knew everyone there and everyone knew me. If there was EVER an out of warranty service issue it got taken care of. THATS the biggest benefit. It come with loyalty. I got the best price right off the bat-no haggling necessary. Always got n/c loaners, always sending me something or inviting me somewhere. I'll probably be back in another Audi.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 09:48 AM   #20
MidwestGolfBum
Knower of all Things Useless
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaker View Post
You made a deal with Dealer A. A deal is a deal. How would you like to have a guy walk on a deal in whatever your business is? Pretty sure he doesnt want your lease return as it would probably get wholesaled off unless it is really low mileage. Lease returns are handled by outside agency so they can't be used in new deal and car gets appraised properly...very smart on their part. The dealer would probably give you back your deposit but wtf is it for? He should keep it if you walk....but probably wouldnt.
Have some honor man. You made a deal.
So in your business if you can get a cheaper price on basically the exact same product from somebody else you wouldn't take it to save a "relationship" and have your honor preserved? I don't follow where that would do a lot of good in the long run, sure they may give you some "free" stuff for being a loyal customer but they aren't paying for it, you are by paying a higher price for everything.

OP - As others have said, use B's offer as a bargaining chip with A and see what they can do for you on price.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 09:48 AM   #21
skiernan36
stick to your guns
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i 2012 Audi Q5 2.0T

go with C, because Dealer A would do the same thing to you in a heartbeat. the dealer's word is meaningless and it will change based on how much money they can get out of you. if you can get the same car you want sooner AND cheaper, why would you screw yourself like that? thats extra money you could use, especially if you have a family
      02-02-2011, 09:51 AM   #22
BenTrovato
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Some would believe that if you went with deal A you would attract more honourable types of people into your life. If you went with another deal going back on your word, you'll attract people that will break their word with you. Or maybe not
Appreciate 0