E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > New 4cyl. Turbo - Current Generation 328???

02-03-2011, 12:48 PM   #1
Raikkonen
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

New 4cyl. Turbo - Current Generation 328???

Any thoughts?

Sorry if this is a re-post, but my lease is once again ending, and I'd like to order a new wagon.

My only concern would be that BMW announces the new power plant will be implemented into the current generation platform, beginning this Summer/Fall (I have to place my order at the end of March).

I have to be honest, the inline 6 is God-like, but I wouldn't mind a little less weight, better fuel economy, and the additional 15 hp and 60 lb ft. !

Any insider info...?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 12:50 PM   #2
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 11 Montego Blue E90 335i Step

A3 TDI
      02-03-2011, 01:04 PM   #3
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i

I don't know, it is kinda strange that they will introduce a new engine this late in the life cycle. My guess is that it will be offered in the new body early next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
Any thoughts?

Sorry if this is a re-post, but my lease is once again ending, and I'd like to order a new wagon.

My only concern would be that BMW announces the new power plant will be implemented into the current generation platform, beginning this Summer/Fall (I have to place my order at the end of March).

I have to be honest, the inline 6 is God-like, but I wouldn't mind a little less weight, better fuel economy, and the additional 15 hp and 60 lb ft. !

Any insider info...?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: VALNCYA

Garage List
Turbod 4 is a true fact for the 328 F gen
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 06:22 PM   #5
Raikkonen
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Well, it was announced that it will in fact be here this fall, and from what I've read, the new 3 series won't actually be on the ground in the US until 2013.

With that said, I doubt it would go into the X3, as it uses the "new" 240 hp higher output NA 6 cyl. used in the new 5 series.

That means it would have to debut in at least one model, replacing the current inline 6 (128, 328, X3 2.8i, etc.). There's no chance that it would be introduced alongside the current normally aspirated 6, as it's more powerful!

I doubt it would debut in a larger platform like the 5, x5, etc.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2011/01/28/ne...fore-year-end/
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 06:24 PM   #6
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

In the past, BMW usually introduces a new engine into the 3 series one year after introduction in the US.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 06:29 PM   #7
beemer3
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
Any thoughts?

Any insider info...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaFan View Post
I don't know, it is kinda strange that they will introduce a new engine this late in the life cycle. My guess is that it will be offered in the new body early next year.
I don't think this engine will make it to the E90. If you look under the F30 forum, someone who works for BMW said the F30 will start production in 8/2010.

Last edited by beemer3; 02-03-2011 at 06:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 07:01 PM   #8
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer3 View Post
I don't think this engine will make it to the E90. If you look under the F30 forum, someone who works for BMW said the F30 will start production in 8/2010.
Well that was 6 months ago, probably you meant 8/2011

What if they introduce it in the new X1? Makes more sense than an outgoing model.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 02:17 AM   #9
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
I wouldn't buy a 4-cyl car if it had 6 turbos on it - don't like em

And I don't care about gas mileage either - funny how the generation of people that drove cars most of their lives with huge gas guzzling V8's in them, and got 7 mpg, are now telling my generation that we need to buy fuel efficient cars & hybrids to conserve gas - sounds kinda hypocritical to me...
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 03:25 AM   #10
Jblack4083
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M3 JB/CB

The 528i and z4 will receive this engine this year.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 03:32 AM   #11
bimmercontrol
Second Lieutenant
Serbia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
I wouldn't buy a 4-cyl car if it had 6 turbos on it - don't like em

And I don't care about gas mileage either - funny how the generation of people that drove cars most of their lives with huge gas guzzling V8's in them, and got 7 mpg, are now telling my generation that we need to buy fuel efficient cars & hybrids to conserve gas - sounds kinda hypocritical to me...
could you elaborate? im in my 20s, have lived in north america and europe. i love v8s and large throaty engines but much prefer that a turbo be added to any engine, gives it so much more potential.

as for a 4cyl im all for it, more hp and torque and less emissions, why not

City Car: 2005 Saab 9-3 TiD
Retired: E60 530i
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 03:54 AM   #12
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Well, guess I'm 'old school' just turned 50, but for a performance car you just can't replace/beat the sound/torque of a V8. I'm just not into that high revving euro exhaust note.

My current 'toys' both have normally aspirated, but built, GM LS based 427's in them. I did have one car in the past with a 383 (bored/stroked 350) and a Paxton Centrifugal SC that made gobs of torque though. With the internal gearing of that SC unit, it was spinning high rpm even at idle, which made for instantaneous boost - you could pull stumps out with that car

I realize the 328 is not really a performance car, as I have a 328ix and chose it for a daily driver and for the lovely winters we have - but I am quite happy with the performance/reliability of the NA engine.

I have driven 4-cyl turbo cars and the torque curve is just not where I like it for the type/style of driving I do - plus I always wonder about the reliability of boosting a small engine just to get standard V6 performance out of it. Maybe this is unfounded as there are quite a few out there - but it is just my feelings.

As far as emissions go - I live in PA where emissions testing is mandatory (unless the car is driven <5000 mi/yr - which applies to both my LS cars). So both of those cars are emissions exempt. Funny thing is, both of those cars have had all cats removed, long tube headers, chambered mufflers, major engine upgrades - and they still both passed the emissions test (I did it on both just for $hits & giggles) - because they are custom tuned on the dyno. One was done for me by a vendor, the other was done by myself using HPTuners software.

So basically, it's just my personal preference to NEVER own a 4-cyl car
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 04:10 AM   #13
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Oh, and I might add that I currently get 17mpg with my 427 Trans Am during local driving, and have received 25mpg when I took it on long trips to Myrtle Beach.

Best I have received with my supposed SULEV NA V6 BMW, in DS mode, during same type of local driving, is 17.2mpg - so go figure

That's mainly due to the efficiency/tuning of the 427 - and the driving experience comparo between the two isn't even close. Sure not gonna run in the 10's on street tires with the BMW...
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 04:14 AM   #14
bimmercontrol
Second Lieutenant
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
i see what you mean and to be perfectly honest most of my cars have been V6 until i tried some japanese high revving I4's which i hate by the way, those things have no torque at all and if something like that is what you refer to then im with you on that one.

i have also owned and still do own a few diesel I4 turbos which make all the difference. they usually torque steer like mad if you put your foot down but do run out of juice near the top end. but i dont see what is wrong with having a car that easily goes 210km/h and yet does 50mpg on average.

and of course i have my I6 twin turbo that i feel is the best of both for that kind of performance.

i kind of lost track with where i was going with this but it really depends on what you want from a car. im interested in performance, reliability and to some extent economy.

be it an I4, I6, V6, V8 etc it doesn't matter as long as the engine is designed to perform. i cant comment on the reliability of bmw I4 petrol engines but turbocharged I4 diesels are the most reliable engines on the planet in my book, you cant destroy them and i have seen plenty with well over 200 000km on the clock.

also to add, it really depends on the turbo setup on an I4, it might have no grunt until 1800rpm and then break your neck or it might have power from the very bottom end with consistency such as the n54.

it seems my post is a little all over the place but the ideas are there. btw what i meant with respect to emissions was that many countries and especially in europe will measure the co2 coming out the back to determine your tax bracket, i think california is moving towards that as well. some countries that use an older model will charge you tax on the size of your engine. i pay 500€ a year for registration and liability insurance whereas someone with a 2L will pay 200€.

in other countries a 3L engine will cost you 1300€ per year with liability insurance but a 2L will only cost 350€ at most with the highest horsepower bracket.

i suppose what im saying is there are a lot of things to consider. i realize engine size doesnt matter much in the usa right now but that may change if we consider california as an example

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 04:20 AM   #15
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Wow, didn't know there were countries that charge for registration based on engine size, or tax bracket based on emissions

Here in PA, our annual registration for a car with regular plates (no classic or antique) is $36 regardless of car or engine size.

As far as Cali goes - them guys are just way out there on a lot of things
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 04:31 AM   #16
bimmercontrol
Second Lieutenant
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
yup, in some countries its absolutely necessary such as italy, you could not breath in rome 30 years ago due to the pollution caused from gridlock, nowadays its much better. i believe that is what is going on in california as well. my cousin pays something like $1000 for registration over there, not sure exactly how it works though.

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 11:08 AM   #17
beemer3
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaFan View Post
Well that was 6 months ago, probably you meant 8/2011

What if they introduce it in the new X1? Makes more sense than an outgoing model.
Here is the link: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=461664

If you look at post #3, which was posted in mid-January, that member claims to be a BMW rep and says the car will go into production on 8/2010, and not 8/2011. But of course at this point, this may all just be speculation.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 11:26 AM   #18
tony176000
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i M Sport

chiming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmercontrol View Post
i see what you mean and to be perfectly honest most of my cars have been V6 until i tried some japanese high revving I4's which i hate by the way, those things have no torque at all and if something like that is what you refer to then im with you on that one.

i have also owned and still do own a few diesel I4 turbos which make all the difference. they usually torque steer like mad if you put your foot down but do run out of juice near the top end. but i dont see what is wrong with having a car that easily goes 210km/h and yet does 50mpg on average.

and of course i have my I6 twin turbo that i feel is the best of both for that kind of performance.

i kind of lost track with where i was going with this but it really depends on what you want from a car. im interested in performance, reliability and to some extent economy.

be it an I4, I6, V6, V8 etc it doesn't matter as long as the engine is designed to perform. i cant comment on the reliability of bmw I4 petrol engines but turbocharged I4 diesels are the most reliable engines on the planet in my book, you cant destroy them and i have seen plenty with well over 200 000km on the clock.

also to add, it really depends on the turbo setup on an I4, it might have no grunt until 1800rpm and then break your neck or it might have power from the very bottom end with consistency such as the n54.

it seems my post is a little all over the place but the ideas are there. btw what i meant with respect to emissions was that many countries and especially in europe will measure the co2 coming out the back to determine your tax bracket, i think california is moving towards that as well. some countries that use an older model will charge you tax on the size of your engine. i pay 500€ a year for registration and liability insurance whereas someone with a 2L will pay 200€.

in other countries a 3L engine will cost you 1300€ per year with liability insurance but a 2L will only cost 350€ at most with the highest horsepower bracket.

i suppose what im saying is there are a lot of things to consider. i realize engine size doesnt matter much in the usa right now but that may change if we consider california as an example
Couple points, I was in the small-displacement turbo vs more displavement NA depabte at work the other day. I also think that turbos are bogus. Sure, they have come along way, but once you start driving them aggressively, the MPG goes out the window. Secondly, the I6 turbo motor is TERRIBLE for reliability and service issues. There's just more part, plumbing, tuning and all that BS that goes into these, they are just not up to spec yet for me. In 10 years ,who knows.
Secondly, the whole tax thing related to engine size is a mere oversight by government. Look at a Corvette: MONSTER V8s, getting nearly 30 mpg on the highway, or my neighbors Subarau turbo, with agressive driving getting something like 12 mpg. Obviously, the size isn't the determining factor. As usual, ill-informed government is years behind science.
Third, while in "your book" the diesel turbos may be king, NOTHING has ever come close to the classic small-block GM mills. Mile for mile, they will whip anything on the street for reliability, re-buildability, etc.etc.
The MAJOR selling point for BMWs is what?? The handling, and the MOTOR. The inline 6 is a cornerstone. I WILL NOT buy a BMW without and I6. The Japanese make the best I4s, so why would I pay double for a Euro with a sub-par motor, when I can go to Honda and get the best I4 in the world. T

The tax/efficiency debate is not correct, and BMW will chase at least 25% of their market away without those velevety, creamy, wonderful inline sixes.

A motor is only as good as its tuning. And while there is a lot of tuning potential on a turbo motor, most of it is not all that good. You pay for yor power, and cramming 150 hp per liter into a small motor is gonna cost you. Even if the govt doen't realize it. ALL HAIL NA!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 11:56 AM   #19
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmercontrol View Post
yup, in some countries its absolutely necessary such as italy, you could not breath in rome 30 years ago due to the pollution caused from gridlock, nowadays its much better. i believe that is what is going on in california as well. my cousin pays something like $1000 for registration over there, not sure exactly how it works though.

The pollution levels in california are no where near what you describe. It's much, much better nowadays. People have told me in the 70s, it used to get so bad in places that they would cancel school, and your eyes and lungs would burn when you went outside to play. But now, with even more cars on the road, the air quality is leaps and bounds better than it was in the 70s. Some areas still get smog, but it's nothing like it used to be.

I think I paid like $270 to register my BMW, and like $70 to register my honda last year.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 12:03 PM   #20
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Reminds me of the pollution levels in Pittsburgh back in the 60-70's

I still remember driving down the parkway as a kid with my dad, passing the steel mills, visibility was so very poor that the entire city would be hidden from view and you had to close the car windows due to the heavy sulfur smell.

The steel mills and most heavy manufacturing industry have since disappeared from Pittsburgh - replaced by hi tech research companies - so the quality of the air is leaps and bounds better - even though the amount of cars on the road have greatly increased
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #21
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Wow, didn't know there were countries that charge for registration based on engine size
That's been the case for many, many years and is one reason the Europeans learned early on how to get decent power from small displacement motors.

In the US, the principle was "There's no substitute for cubic inches" - at least until the first fuel crunch in 1973. My early '70s Plymouth had a 400ci (ca. 6.5 liter) V8 which was rated at 185 hp!

Tom
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 02:45 PM   #22
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Well, if the new X1 xdrive 328i can do 0-62 in 6.2 sec, a 328i should be able to do 0-60 in 5.6-5.9 sec range. That is at least 0.5 second faster than the current 328i (based on bmw numbers), so I believe the new engine does increase performance. It woun't be as rev happy and sweet as the current N/A I6, but more power, better mileage and cheaper to build for BMW that current hybrid magnesium/aluminum block of N52.
Appreciate 0