E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > my car did 180

02-04-2011, 12:21 PM   #1
vinlikesred
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i '08

my car did 180

snow-covered road. 335i with probably a set of summer tires. spinned 180 and hit the side of the curb with the passenger-side rear tire. i was lucky there was no incoming car.

the wheel got scratched a bit but other than that it looks fine. took it to the highway and i do not notice any change. but the possibilities remain...

could i have damaged anything? i'm mainly concerned about rear strut and control arm. if i take it to the dealership, do they simply do a visual inspection or do they have some kinda equipment to measure the damage?

i guess my point is, if those parts got slightly bent, is it detectable?

just trying to get this out of my head. opinions appreciated.

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 12:25 PM   #2
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinlikesred View Post
snow-covered road. 335i with probably a set of summer tires. spinned 180 and hit the side of the curb with the passenger-side rear tire. i was lucky there was no incoming car.

the wheel got scratched a bit but other than that it looks fine. took it to the highway and i do not notice any change. but the possibilities remain...

could i have damaged anything? i'm mainly concerned about rear strut and control arm. if i take it to the dealership, do they simply do a visual inspection or do they have some kinda equipment to measure the damage?

i guess my point is, if those parts got slightly bent, is it detectable?

just trying to get this out of my head. opinions appreciated.

thanks!
At a minimum you'll need an alignment. Go to the dealership or a good independent and get one. They'll tell you if they find anything wrong.

In the meantime, park your car until you get proper tires
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 12:28 PM   #3
smallseafishie
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 07 e92 335i + AW 11 X5 35d

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post
In the meantime, park your car until you get proper tires
+1
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 12:45 PM   #4
vinlikesred
Private First Class
Rep

i have a winter car but today it was nice, although the roads are still bad (this i found out after i hit the damn curb)...

i had this urge to get the dinan done so i took it to the dealership and then it happened on the side road less than 1/2 mile from the dealership. oh the irony...

just got a call that the car has no damage, although they will still do the alignment. which is fine, i guess. also, dinan stage 2 is being done as i speak

but seriously, i'm scared to take the car back to my home as the side roads are still treacherous...
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 12:49 PM   #5
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

It's not just ice & snow - your summer tires lose their grip on dry pavement as the temp approaches freezing. If you must drive under those conditions, you need approach the throttle differently.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 12:52 PM   #6
vinlikesred
Private First Class
Rep

yup. i now know to take it easy. i wasn't driving fast by all means, maybe 20mph or so but i didn't think it'd lose control that easy. oh well.

i would have to be really careful when i drive it home this afternoon, with dinan reflashing and all.

cant wait to drive it with the reflash.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 12:52 PM   #7
chenx15
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i/accord

oh snap!
      02-04-2011, 12:55 PM   #8
vinlikesred
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenx15 View Post
oh snap!
hey shit happens. i could've easily crashed my car right in front of the dealership if there was an incoming car. i consider myself lucky.

oh well. (knocking on the wood. i still have to get my car back home tonight)
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 01:00 PM   #9
chenx15
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i/accord

Quote:
hey shit happens. i could've easily crashed my car right in front of the dealership if there was an incoming car. i consider myself lucky.

oh well. (knocking on the wood. i still have to get my car back home tonight)
That's Good. hopefully everything will turn out ok. you can just get some OEM exterior parts in the FS section if it's just body parts
      02-04-2011, 02:27 PM   #10
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
i have a winter car but today it was nice, although the roads are still bad (this i found out after i hit the damn curb)...

i had this urge to get the dinan done so i took it to the dealership and then it happened on the side road less than 1/2 mile from the dealership. oh the irony...

just got a call that the car has no damage, although they will still do the alignment. which is fine, i guess. also, dinan stage 2 is being done as i speak

but seriously, i'm scared to take the car back to my home as the side roads are still treacherous...
It's pretty hard to do a 180....by accident. Unless you were going way to fast for the road, then there would no possibility for you to somehow do a 180 unless you intentionally did it.

Just resist the urge to floor it home and you'll be fine. I can imagine how hard that will be with a new tune....especially on a 335!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 02:52 PM   #11
hipnotic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2008 335i coupe  [7.00]
wow
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 03:10 PM   #12
dday
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 335 M-Sport

Probably a set of summer tires? You don't know if you have summer tires or not?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 03:15 PM   #13
Malapropism
Book Worm
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

From the thread title I at first thought you meant ur car did 180 as in speed, like 180 mph or kph...but anyways, hope your car is a-okay!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 03:25 PM   #14
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
...with probably a set of summer tires....
Quote:
...i have a winter car...
Your car is winter but your tires are summer?

You should probably get a dedicated set of winter tires. Either that, or keep your 335 at home when it's wintry outside.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 03:28 PM   #15
madeinhongkong
Brigadier General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

so was it worth it to save the few hundred bucks to not buy a set of snow tires and winter wheels?? i don't get how ppl don't buy a set of used snow tires/wheels for the winter. RWD and Summer tires don't work even in areas with no snow. If it gets below 45 they don't perform well.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 04:02 PM   #16
vinlikesred
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost2Perfection View Post
so was it worth it to save the few hundred bucks to not buy a set of snow tires and winter wheels?? i don't get how ppl don't buy a set of used snow tires/wheels for the winter. RWD and Summer tires don't work even in areas with no snow. If it gets below 45 they don't perform well.
okay people. i don't think it's anybody's business but mine but let me clarify.

i live in colorado and i ALWAYS have the second car that's better equipped for winter. mine is 08 and it's got just over 8000 miles on it. enough said on that point.

i'm not sure if it's got summer tire, although it certainly felt like one today. today was the very first time my car saw snow. i custom-ordered mine with sports package and no winter package, perhaps the rarest combination in colorado, i think. that's why i THINK it's got the summer tire. but since i'm not really into cars, although i certainly enjoy driving my car, i haven't bothered to figure out what kind of tire my car came equipped with...

anywayz, all is good. and i learned my lesson. it's warmer outside and the roads, while slush, seems much better so i think i'll be okay driving back home. i won't be driving it, especially with all that DINAN power until the weather gets much better. i don't know why i chose today to do all that and got into the trouble i did. i guess i was bored...

anywayz thanks guys for help and comments
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 04:07 PM   #17
vinlikesred
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
It's pretty hard to do a 180....by accident. Unless you were going way to fast for the road, then there would no possibility for you to somehow do a 180 unless you intentionally did it.

Just resist the urge to floor it home and you'll be fine. I can imagine how hard that will be with a new tune....especially on a 335!
i wanst going fast, although in retrospect, perhaps i was, given the fact that the road was covered with snow and it was early in the morning. i was probably doing 20 mph or so. RWD BMW on snow is as grippy as my Burton snowboard, except it's got no edge

i don't know why of all days i chose today to get the dinan done. i guess i had the tune in mind for quite some time. too bad that it had to manifest today. oh well...
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 04:57 PM   #18
anthony @ eas
United_States
Rep
Drives: R56 Cooper S

Whoa, at first I thought you said you were doing 180mph on a snow covered road!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 05:01 PM   #19
scrufy
Zoom Zoom This
United_States
Rep
Drives: The Short Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malapropism View Post
From the thread title I at first thought you meant ur car did 180 as in speed, like 180 mph or kph...but anyways, hope your car is a-okay!
Thats what I read as well!
I was picturing some goober sitting there in the snow with a chipped and speed limiter removed 335 wot in 6th burning the crap out of it with a Budwieser in one hand and a Marlboro hanging from his lip pegging the speedo not actually moving and finding out what happens when all that heat finally melts then dries the snow under the tires..

Glad it wasnt that! And glad nobody hurt.
Everyone who drives a lot in winter eventually has a little slip. No big deal hopefully its just cosmetic. Oh, and to tell if its a winter tire look on the sidewall for the letters M+S, which stands for mud and snow.
Socal guy here but I'm a Northwestern Alum and had my share.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 05:11 PM   #20
sleepyx637
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 335i

Quote:
okay people. i don't think it's anybody's business but mine but let me clarify.

i live in colorado and i ALWAYS have the second car that's better equipped for winter. mine is 08 and it's got just over 8000 miles on it. enough said on that point.

i'm not sure if it's got summer tire, although it certainly felt like one today. today was the very first time my car saw snow. i custom-ordered mine with sports package and no winter package, perhaps the rarest combination in colorado, i think. that's why i THINK it's got the summer tire. but since i'm not really into cars, although i certainly enjoy driving my car, i haven't bothered to figure out what kind of tire my car came equipped with...

anywayz, all is good. and i learned my lesson. it's warmer outside and the roads, while slush, seems much better so i think i'll be okay driving back home. i won't be driving it, especially with all that DINAN power until the weather gets much better. i don't know why i chose today to do all that and got into the trouble i did. i guess i was bored...

anywayz thanks guys for help and comments
doesn't sound like you even know how to handle "all that DINAN power" if you dont know the basics. please dont get anyone killed.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 05:16 PM   #21
FVM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

alignment
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 07:37 PM   #22
vinlikesred
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrufy View Post
Thats what I read as well!
I was picturing some goober sitting there in the snow with a chipped and speed limiter removed 335 wot in 6th burning the crap out of it with a Budwieser in one hand and a Marlboro hanging from his lip pegging the speedo not actually moving and finding out what happens when all that heat finally melts then dries the snow under the tires..

Glad it wasnt that! And glad nobody hurt.
Everyone who drives a lot in winter eventually has a little slip. No big deal hopefully its just cosmetic. Oh, and to tell if its a winter tire look on the sidewall for the letters M+S, which stands for mud and snow.
Socal guy here but I'm a Northwestern Alum and had my share.

i'm a michigan alum so i guess i should know these things as well, except i don't. i'll look for that M+S letters. thanks for the tip

btw, im sure there are better ways to die than speeding 180 in any road.
Appreciate 0