E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > What's the best Intake for N52 330i?

04-10-2011, 12:37 PM   #1
aznboi330i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Man

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Exclamation What's the best Intake for N52 330i?

Cause I've heard of AFE and INJEN, but I also heard about the K&N drop in filter and I was wondering how does that work out?

And what's the difference between oiled and dryed filters?

What would be the best intake for the money? The most simplistic way of getting this done without having any errors in the car?

Btw my car does not have active steering.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 01:19 PM   #2
crossintothebeemer
Its just me....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

Garage List
2008 328xi  [0.00]
I would personally recommend the K&N filter with the charcoal delete it will only cost you about 50 bux and an hour or two to properly remove the charcoal filter from the housing.
There is not to much performance gain from an after market intake other than sound. Plus in the engine bay the aftermarket intakes look kinda weird because they dont fill out the engine bay leaving unsightly gaps. Good luck with your decision though
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 01:25 PM   #3
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

If you are after a full replacement intake, I'd suggest aFe which has a fully enclosed filter element to block engine heat from the filter element. The oiled version offers better flow and performance while the dry is easier to maintain and offers better filtration but less flow.

There is not a dramatic difference between the two but just depends on what you are after as far as maintenance and flow.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 01:28 PM   #4
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335Xi Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
If you are after a full replacement intake, I'd suggest aFe which has a fully enclosed filter element to block engine heat from the filter element. The oiled version offers better flow and performance while the dry is easier to maintain and offers better filtration but less flow.

There is not a dramatic difference between the two but just depends on what you are after as far as maintenance and flow.
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP3 Tuned by MAC Autosport, Original Prototype Xi DOCRace 6266 Single Turbo Swap, VRSF CP w/Synapse BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Stoptech Stage 2 Slotted, xHP Stage 3, Earl's Racing Oil Cooler, Turner Boost Gauge, M3 Lip Spoiler.
Standing Mile Record Holder for Xi over a mile high: 168.2MPH @ 5512'; The Colorado Mile hosted by The US Mile.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 03:09 PM   #5
aznboi330i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossintothebeemer View Post
I would personally recommend the K&N filter with the charcoal delete it will only cost you about 50 bux and an hour or two to properly remove the charcoal filter from the housing.
There is not to much performance gain from an after market intake other than sound. Plus in the engine bay the aftermarket intakes look kinda weird because they dont fill out the engine bay leaving unsightly gaps. Good luck with your decision though
Is there a DIY on this whole process?? Rather pay $50 then pay $350+ for something that'll get ruined in the long run.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 03:11 PM   #6
aznboi330i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSwift View Post
What's so funny?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 03:25 PM   #7
crossintothebeemer
Its just me....
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznboi330i View Post
Is there a DIY on this whole process?? Rather pay $50 then pay $350+ for something that'll get ruined in the long run.
Yeah if you go to the DIY section there should be a DIY for the charcoal filter removal.

If not a quick run down is as follows:
-remove the air box as normal
-separate the air box( 8ish screws)
-carefully remove the maf (2 screws)(set it aside in a safe place)
- then you will notice an attached charcoal filter, using a box cutter or exacto-knife cut it along the outer edge until removed from the plastic housing
- now with a dremel or sand paper smooth out the surface from when the filter was
- Throughoully, I stress CLEAN the box out... and let dry then reassemble and your good to go!!!!

thats it in a nut shell, I might have missed a few steps
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 03:38 PM   #8
aznboi330i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossintothebeemer View Post
Yeah if you go to the DIY section there should be a DIY for the charcoal filter removal.

If not a quick run down is as follows:
-remove the air box as normal
-separate the air box( 8ish screws)
-carefully remove the maf (2 screws)(set it aside in a safe place)
- then you will notice an attached charcoal filter, using a box cutter or exacto-knife cut it along the outer edge until removed from the plastic housing
- now with a dremel or sand paper smooth out the surface from when the filter was
- Throughoully, I stress CLEAN the box out... and let dry then reassemble and your good to go!!!!

thats it in a nut shell, I might have missed a few steps
Thanks alot man! But once I clean out the box I replace the old charcoal filter with the K&N filter? Therefore doing the so called K&N drop in?

This would be better then changing out the whole stock intake for an aftermarket one?

Will this also make the car sound better? I mean what are the real benefits of doing a charcoal delete?

Last edited by aznboi330i; 04-10-2011 at 03:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 03:44 PM   #9
crossintothebeemer
Its just me....
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 328xi  [0.00]
The charcoal filter is seperate from the normal filter, technically right now there is two filters in your airbox,( the charcoal filter and the OEM one) so once you remove both the charcoal filter and the OEM filter you just put back the K&N filter and you are set.

Quote:
Thanks alot man! But once I clean out the box I replace the old charcoal filter with the K&N filter? Therefore doing the so called K&N drop in?

This would be better then changing out the whole stock intake for an aftermarket one?
Like I said it comes down to personal preference, because the aftermarket ones are quality products, it just comes to what you want.

(The intake mod probably does NOT free up any power but in theory it does help airflow at least.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 03:57 PM   #10
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What's so funny?
Everything Nick said is bullshit. Without a tune you can't take full advantage of any CAI on our engines. And that BS about fully enclosed and heat protected, that's an even bigger crock of shit than stating the aFe actually makes power.

Wanna sound like a beast but go as fast as a lawnmower? Go ahead and drop the $400 on the aFe. Wanna gain some power and care less about how you sound up front? K&N drop in, charcoal filter delete, scoops, and maybe Gavin's secondary intake pipe mod.
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP3 Tuned by MAC Autosport, Original Prototype Xi DOCRace 6266 Single Turbo Swap, VRSF CP w/Synapse BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Stoptech Stage 2 Slotted, xHP Stage 3, Earl's Racing Oil Cooler, Turner Boost Gauge, M3 Lip Spoiler.
Standing Mile Record Holder for Xi over a mile high: 168.2MPH @ 5512'; The Colorado Mile hosted by The US Mile.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 09:59 PM   #11
aznboi330i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Everything Nick said is bullshit. Without a tune you can't take full advantage of any CAI on our engines. And that BS about fully enclosed and heat protected, that's an even bigger crock of shit than stating the aFe actually makes power.

Wanna sound like a beast but go as fast as a lawnmower? Go ahead and drop the $400 on the aFe. Wanna gain some power and care less about how you sound up front? K&N drop in, charcoal filter delete, scoops, and maybe Gavin's secondary intake pipe mod.
Lmao I like your comment about the lawnmower hahaha XD

I see your point though and it seems very plausible to me. So i'll just do what you said then. Is that your current set up??

Do you mind telling me where I can purchase these scoops and how they work? I'm not too familiar with them. Are they hard to install?

Also the Gavin's secondary intake pipe mod is something I havent heard of before. Mind filling me in on this mod and how much it'll cost?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 11:39 PM   #12
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Lmao I like your comment about the lawnmower hahaha XD

I see your point though and it seems very plausible to me. So i'll just do what you said then. Is that your current set up??

Do you mind telling me where I can purchase these scoops and how they work? I'm not too familiar with them. Are they hard to install?

Also the Gavin's secondary intake pipe mod is something I havent heard of before. Mind filling me in on this mod and how much it'll cost?
I'm currently on the stock box with the charcoal delete, K&N drop in, and a modified intake tube (just deleted the silencer basically, can't see any benefit performance wise). The scoops are something I'll probably add sometime this month, most of the performance shops like **********s.com have them for sale. Very easy and quick to install, you won't see any difference in power until about 65-70mph though.

The secondary piping has its own write up on here if you do a search of gavin@mmw's threads. Its a 3" flexible hose that runs from the grille next to the drivers side foglight up to the bottom front corner of the stock intake box. You need to drill a hole big enough for it of course and it wouldn't hurt to stick an additional cone filter on the end of it so you don't suck up any nasty BS in the engine. I have yet to see any dyno benefits of doing this mod but Gavin is currently running it on his 328 and hasn't had any complaints.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 12:00 AM   #13
aznboi330i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm currently on the stock box with the charcoal delete, K&N drop in, and a modified intake tube (just deleted the silencer basically, can't see any benefit performance wise). The scoops are something I'll probably add sometime this month, most of the performance shops like **********s.com have them for sale. Very easy and quick to install, you won't see any difference in power until about 65-70mph though.

The secondary piping has its own write up on here if you do a search of gavin@mmw's threads. Its a 3" flexible hose that runs from the grille next to the drivers side foglight up to the bottom front corner of the stock intake box. You need to drill a hole big enough for it of course and it wouldn't hurt to stick an additional cone filter on the end of it so you don't suck up any nasty BS in the engine. I have yet to see any dyno benefits of doing this mod but Gavin is currently running it on his 328 and hasn't had any complaints.
Vurry nizz!! Did you notice your car running a lot smoother after you did the drop in and charcoal delete? Better throttle response by any chance? Sorry for asking all these questions I just want to make sure I get the facts straight before I do anything to my car.

Once again thanks for such awesome info!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 08:57 AM   #14
benzo23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 AW MSport

I did the filter delete with k&N, and didnt really notice a thing. Its deff more free flowing tho without the restriction of the charcoal filter being in there thats for sure.

Last edited by benzo23; 04-12-2011 at 01:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 08:04 PM   #15
mmmmm235i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 440xi GC

Assuming that an aftermarket intake is solely a sound mod, about how much power do you think is lost using it. Most intakes advertise about a 1-2 hp increase, so I never even understood who was claiming it was for performance anyway. One could gain about that much from losing a passenger or two. So my question is if you are not "feeling" any power loss using the aftermarket intake how much do you think is lost. Or when people say they offer no performance gains they are saying performance just remains stock. Basically I want to know if aftermarket intakes are useless because they cost money and offer no gains or because they actually cause a loss of power. If someone could point me towards some evidence rather than opinion that would be very helpful.

RETIRED:
2018 440xi GC, Carbon Black on Black/Blue
2014 M235i Black on Black, DINAN Stage 2
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 08:17 PM   #16
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09328i View Post
Assuming that an aftermarket intake is solely a sound mod, about how much power do you think is lost using it. Most intakes advertise about a 1-2 hp increase, so I never even understood who was claiming it was for performance anyway. One could gain about that much from losing a passenger or two. So my question is if you are not "feeling" any power loss using the aftermarket intake how much do you think is lost. Or when people say they offer no performance gains they are saying performance just remains stock. Basically I want to know if aftermarket intakes are useless because they cost money and offer no gains or because they actually cause a loss of power. If someone could point me towards some evidence rather than opinion that would be very helpful.
First off I'd like to say to OP that the throttle response and sound is slightly better than stock with the K&N and charcoal delete. My numbers have improved by 5awhp and 10awtq with just the intake mods I have now and a muffler delete. Obviously those numbers will be better on a RWD car.

2nd, I put the afe on today just for shits and giggles. Uninstalled in within 10 minutes of driving on it. My 0-60 times are on average around 6-7 seconds with the stock modified box, right? With the afe my 0-60 tanked to roughly 8-9 seconds.

THAT is how bad it REALLY is. Sorry I don't have a mount for my camera or a gopro to prove this information but please take my word for it as this is the 2nd time I've uninstalled the intake even after it was properly installed and the entire computer was reset from unhooking the battery for about a half an hour.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 08:49 PM   #17
twistedm3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

There really are only two options that have repeatedly been favored and suggested here and neither have received negative comments, like about lose of low end, heat soak, or drawing in hot engine air:
  • US air box with carbon delete, K&N flat filter and air scopes.
  • Euro air box with K&N round air filter and air scopes.

If you have the money for an AFE or INJEN, then go the direction of the Euro air box and some scopes. You will be very happy with it and the car will pull like it never has. You'll be saying to yourself, OMG this thing does make power above 4K. There are several other post here on the Euro air box worth noting.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 02:00 AM   #18
Wlew
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i

afe is a piece of shit. +1 to that.

I have tried both. i can tell you for certain that the K&N drop in with a charcoal delete and scoops makes a big difference compared to afe. scoops wont do much till about 80mph, and even then its debatable and impossible to dyno. Cant hurt though.

if you really want to spend the money either go with Dinan's ram air, which is similar to MMW set up, or the BMW performance intake. but neither is worth the $$ for the small amount of power increase. spend you money on a tune and exhaust. end of story.

also, try a search.
      04-12-2011, 08:28 AM   #19
psre08
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i E90 & 330Ci E46

Either go with the euro airbox or BMW performance intake.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 11:55 AM   #20
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

Injen v2, imo.
      04-12-2011, 04:02 PM   #21
aznboi330i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Thanks guys! I've made my decision and I'm going to do the K&N drop in with the charcoal delete and air scoops! Just ordered everything today! Can't wait to get everything and install them! Everything only cost me $80 XD
      04-12-2011, 08:01 PM   #22
Dlu69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

whats the K&N cost and where do I get it?
Appreciate 0