E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Writing a paper on BMW

04-23-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
Myki335
Private First Class
Poland
Rep
Drives: JB/black 2009 335i Coupe

Writing a paper on BMW

My Professor gave my class a list of companies, told us to choose one out of the list, and assigned our class a 10 page paper to write about our chosen company. Naturally, I chose BMW.

Here's the topic:

Analyze and explore the following: What makes the company a successful “innovator”, what type of management structure is in place and how does it foster innovation? What issues did your selected company confront in becoming innovation centered and how did they resolve those issues?

I got some pretty good ideas already about what to write, but probably not yet enough to fill 10 pages worth. Figured I'd let you guys have a go at it as well lol

So let's hear some ideas.....GO!
      04-23-2011, 01:49 PM   #2
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

imho BMW is not an innovator, they are successful because their brand image is so strong. Their management doesn't seem to be a strong suit, at least for BMWNA. You do want to get a good grade, right? You should do your paper on Hyundai, that's innovation.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 02:02 PM   #3
WWONG
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
imho BMW is not an innovator, they are successful because their brand image is so strong. Their management doesn't seem to be a strong suit, at least for BMWNA. You do want to get a good grade, right? You should do your paper on Hyundai, that's innovation.
Didn't know playing catch-up after putting out decades of crap meant innovation. You learn something new every day.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 02:04 PM   #4
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Quote:
I completely disagree. How is BMW not an innovator? And what makes Hyundai an innovator? Hyundai's game plan is to sell cars which meet or exceed primarily the Japanese in quality at a lessor price. I'm not hating on Hyundai by any means, but that's not innovation. Hyundai made junk for years before figuring out a way to be successful, much like Toyota. You should attempt to explain yourself before spewing out blanket statements.

You could write a book on this subject. Find an area to focus on - BMW electronics technology (like iDrive), their history (or what historical innovations made the company successful), knowing the consumer, being able to adapt, brand image, efficiency, etc.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 02:50 PM   #5
jimk
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i

This is a good start:

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...TQ3gbaxaXPiQ==

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t.../overview.html
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 03:08 PM   #6
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
I completely disagree. How is BMW not an innovator? And what makes Hyundai an innovator? Hyundai's game plan is to sell cars which meet or exceed primarily the Japanese in quality at a lessor price. I'm not hating on Hyundai by any means, but that's not innovation. Hyundai made junk for years before figuring out a way to be successful, much like Toyota. You should attempt to explain yourself before spewing out blanket statements.

You could write a book on this subject. Find an area to focus on - BMW electronics technology (like iDrive), their history (or what historical innovations made the company successful), knowing the consumer, being able to adapt, brand image, efficiency, etc.
If you've checked their prices lately, they are not low. The Hyundai Sonata is on the Car and Driver 10 Best list. That's not a blanket statement, such as yours in which you say they have made junk for many years.

Nobody ever had a problem or knocked the list when the BMW 3 has sat on the list for longer than most of us have been alive. But as soon as the 335 made the worst list, CR is a conspiracy. I know there is a lot of elitism on this forum, but there's a real world taking place out there outside of e90.

You really think BMW is a well managed co.? Where'd you get your MBA?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 03:34 PM   #7
burton727
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

would like to read this paper after your done!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 03:46 PM   #8
Myki335
Private First Class
Poland
Rep
Drives: JB/black 2009 335i Coupe

I don't think Hyundai is an innovator...if anything they have good management and only as of recently. Hyundai really changed their ways with the new car line-up and new marketing strategy. But the things you see on Hyundai's are things that BMW, Mercedes and other car makes already have in their cars. BMW on the other hand has always been a brand that people associate with quality and a level of prestige.

Another thing i think makes them innovative is their M-car division and the way they re-use existing models to make them something new. BMW's product life cycle is also very original. They manage to keep their models alive for decades by simply changing them up little by little each year.

If I'm happy with the way the paper comes out maybe I'll post it up for you guys to tare it to shreds lol I don't mind criticism.
      04-23-2011, 04:39 PM   #9
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Quote:
If you've checked their prices lately, they are not low. The Hyundai Sonata is on the Car and Driver 10 Best list. That's not a blanket statement, such as yours in which you say they have made junk for many years.

Nobody ever had a problem or knocked the list when the BMW 3 has sat on the list for longer than most of us have been alive. But as soon as the 335 made the worst list, CR is a conspiracy. I know there is a lot of elitism on this forum, but there's a real world taking place out there outside of e90.

You really think BMW is a well managed co.? Where'd you get your MBA?
I didn't say nor imply they make junk now. Through the late 80s and early-mid 90s, Hyundai was certainly not known for making quality vehicles people wanted to buy. Same with Toyota in the late 70s and early 80s. Hence, junk. Both have stepped up and make great cars, even more so Hyundai these days.

I'm not being elitist nor a fanboy, and do recognize the quality of other brands. The new Sonata beats the current Accord/Camry in every possible way, in my opinion. In a nutshell, Hyundai followed the same path as Toyota and is now collecting the benefits and even beating the Japanese at their own game. I didn't say anything about BMW management, but Hyundai's success proves it is a well-managed company. But that's not the point of this discussion - innovation is about far more than how a company is managed.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 05:45 PM   #10
Licit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

Quote:
I guess creating one of the best suspension/steering/handling setups there is wouldn't be called innovative?
And Hyundai really, that was pretty innovative how they stole the look of Merc-Benz for their Genesis sedan.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 06:44 PM   #11
skier
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

Quote:
What? April 1st was few weeks ago.
      04-23-2011, 11:33 PM   #12
tmo24
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i e92

Well you could easily fill 10 pages with any of the following subjects. I see it happen every day here.

JB4 vs Procede
6MT vs 6AT vs DCT
Coupe or sedan
xi vs i
328 vs 335i
HPFP issues and how BMW is handling them
Software versions and how they affect performance
What will void warranty
BMW vs Audi
What or why certain models/versions are not available in the US
M and the history

I can keep going but you get the idea. I'm sure you can spin it to work with the guidelines you were given. Goodluck man.

2007 335i Jet Black e90 6MT - Eibachs, magnaflow exhaust, carbon hood, short shift kit, some other random stuff - being sold somewhere sometime soon probably

2010 335i AW e90 6 AT Msport - The GF took this one over... JB4, PE exhaust, Koni yellows/Eibachs, pink badges, fuzzy steering wheel cover ?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 11:34 PM   #13
tmo24
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i e92

Sorry, just read the guidelines again. You may not be able to use a lot of those topics but you may be able to include them to help support those areas.

2007 335i Jet Black e90 6MT - Eibachs, magnaflow exhaust, carbon hood, short shift kit, some other random stuff - being sold somewhere sometime soon probably

2010 335i AW e90 6 AT Msport - The GF took this one over... JB4, PE exhaust, Koni yellows/Eibachs, pink badges, fuzzy steering wheel cover ?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 06:09 AM   #14
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmo24 View Post
Sorry, just read the guidelines again. You may not be able to use a lot of those topics but you may be able to include them to help support those areas.
That was my point, it sounds like a management class. If it were me, and with the limited information the OP gave us, I would be thinking this is a German co. It would be facing the same issues that any mfg. co. would be facing in 2011, but one major problem is that the co. is German, not American. So it cannot deal the same way. Perhaps move some production out of Germany and into southern US states like SC, sure. But what is being done, what has been done with the core issue of production in Germany, how has that affected the structure of the organization? Removing features from the cars, raising prices, denying warranty claims, drop out of Susan Komen after 10's of years of particiapation, these don't even begin to scratch the surface of what's wrong in Munich. The majority of the repsonses were like a giant copy/paste from threads, that's not good college work, more like a blog.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 06:19 AM   #15
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Make sure you include the part about the German Government bailing out BMW in the 1950's when they were just about bankrupt.

Why don't you do a paper on the Ford Motor Company, now that would fill 10 pages easy!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 06:44 AM   #16
M40i4me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 X3 M40i  [10.00]
I believe BMW was the first to integrate the iPod into their cars. At least that's what their website states.

How about run flats? Not sure who else uses them.
Could they be first with any Nav options, google maps, office email, BMW apps, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 06:59 AM   #17
Majikthese42
Philosopher-king
Rep
Drives: 2008 E91

Don't forget about BMW's corporate decision to abandon the aviation market segment after 1945!
E91 6MT Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display, tire pump, jack, floor mats.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 10:51 AM   #18
CAPSGOD
Major
Rep
Drives: Diesel Son

Well they made the Hydrogen 7 series right? I think Honda would have been easier. VTEC y0!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 11:06 AM   #19
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majikthese42 View Post
Don't forget about BMW's corporate decision to abandon the aviation market segment after 1945!
I finally just got that! LOL.
Appreciate 0