E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > MMW CSv2 muffler review

04-23-2011, 04:49 PM   #1
m_power
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Garage List
2008 E90 328  [0.00]
MMW CSv2 muffler review

After a short wait, I was finally able to install my MMW CSv2 exhaust system through SS Motorsports up in Simi Valley, California. If your in the area I highly recommend them for you modding needs, from sounds systems, suspension work, custom exhaust..... looks like they did it all. When I arrived, the muffler with internals was there at the shop minus the tips. The welding on of the tips, removing the old muffler, measuring and welding on the MMW CSv2 muffler, adjustments and final testing took about 2.5 hours to complete.

Sound wise, the CSv2 sounds great! I wish my camera had captured the sound of this thing, but it you really have to hear it in person to understand and experience it. During idle and cruising, there is no drone experienced with other aftermarket mufflers. With the windows up and cruising, it sounds almost stock due to the sound deadening material on our cars, the stuff really works. However, you can definitely hear a difference in tone as your cruising. Outside the car is a different story. Around 2.5k RPM's the muffler picks up and develops a throaty grumble. At 4-5k RPM's starts to the grumble starts to turn into something that sounds like a jet. When you let off the accelerator at the 4-5k RPM range is when you hear the poping sound from the muffler. I really wish the camera had picked up that sound, but in the recording it sounds really washed out compared to what it sounds like in person. For those who have gone the Gran Prix races, think of one of those just a lot quieter.

As a daily driver, this muffler is perfect. It's not going to be setting off car alarms and drawing attention from the cops, unless you start going with the secondary cats and resonator delete. Personally, my next mod in a few weeks is going to be leaving the cats in place but taking out that resonator. It seems to rob a lot of what this muffler is capable of.

Feel free to check out the video and picks. I'm going to try and get a better video of the sounds. I highly recommend Gavin from MMW and the guys over at SS Motorsports in Simi Valley. Check'em both out!

MMW CSv2 installed on a 2008 e90. Resonator and cats still installed. Hah, and yeah that is my daughter in the background at the end of the video.

I tried to capture how far the tips stuck out from under the car. As you can sort of tell, the newly welded muffler tips stick out about as far as the OEM tips originally did.

The welds between the tips and the muffler were towards the base of the original OEM tips, which is closer to how the Performance Exhaust tips are welded on.

The new tips have a wider diameter and a much more aggressive appearance.

19" V713's Staggered, Blacklines, PBX Powerbox, aFe Oiled Drop In, Carbon Filter Delete, MMW CSv2 Muffler, Koni Yellows w/ H&R Sport Springs, CDV Delete, BMW Performance Grill, BMW Performance SSK, BMW Performance Handbrake

Last edited by m_power; 04-23-2011 at 05:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 05:25 PM   #2
milly
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Garage List
2008 328i (e90)  [9.00]
sounds really nice and crisp, I'm wondering what itll sound like without the resonator. I plan on removing my resonator once my meisterchaft gets here...How much louder do you think it'd be without it?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 05:33 PM   #3
m_power
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 E90 328  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by milly View Post
sounds really nice and crisp, I'm wondering what itll sound like without the resonator. I plan on removing my resonator once my meisterchaft gets here...How much louder do you think it'd be without it?
I'm really not sure how much louder it'll be without the resonator. I do think that removing the resonator will increase the throatiness of the exhaust tone throughout the powerband. I'll find out exactly how much louder it'll be in a few weeks and will let you know!

19" V713's Staggered, Blacklines, PBX Powerbox, aFe Oiled Drop In, Carbon Filter Delete, MMW CSv2 Muffler, Koni Yellows w/ H&R Sport Springs, CDV Delete, BMW Performance Grill, BMW Performance SSK, BMW Performance Handbrake
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 06:05 PM   #4
milly
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Garage List
2008 328i (e90)  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_power View Post
I'm really not sure how much louder it'll be without the resonator. I do think that removing the resonator will increase the throatiness of the exhaust tone throughout the powerband. I'll find out exactly how much louder it'll be in a few weeks and will let you know!
Alright thanks a lot, I've been watching a bunch of youtube videos trying to find the difference hahaha.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 10:13 PM   #5
aznboi330i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Man

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
very nice!! Congrats on the new muffla! Hey man how much did the exhaust cost you? Since you mentioned earlier the car sounds completley different in person right, so its not too loud and obnoxious then right? Cause I was very hesitant on doing a muffler delete until I saw this new product from Gavin. Cause I don't want to come off as a huge lawnmower. I'm looking for a rich and deep sound and I was wondering if this exhaust would be it.

Also how's it like when your cruising? Is it quiet?

I'm just really curious cause I think I might do this mod.
      04-24-2011, 12:56 AM   #6
m_power
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 E90 328  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznboi330i View Post
very nice!! Congrats on the new muffla! Hey man how much did the exhaust cost you? Since you mentioned earlier the car sounds completley different in person right, so its not too loud and obnoxious then right? Cause I was very hesitant on doing a muffler delete until I saw this new product from Gavin. Cause I don't want to come off as a huge lawnmower. I'm looking for a rich and deep sound and I was wondering if this exhaust would be it.

Also how's it like when your cruising? Is it quiet?

I'm just really curious cause I think I might do this mod.
You should PM Gavin for a price. I don't want to quote you something that he may price differently. It sounds really great in person, very subtle at idle with a rich grumble as you rev it towards 4-6k RPM's. It doesn't sound anything like a lawnmower or some cheap aftermarket exhaust, just deep rich bass. At cruising speed with the windows up, it sounds almost exactly like the stock system, you'll be able to have a conversation or listen to your radio with out it drowning you out at all. At first I scheduled for a resonator delete with my muffler install but went with only the muffler because I was worried about the sound being too loud as well. Now, I'm going to schedule for the resonator delete to be installed probably next week. With that gone, it's going to sound absolutely money.

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 01:19 AM   #7
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335Xi Coupé

Based on that video, I think it sounds like garbage. Your camera must really suck something fierce.
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP3 Tuned by MAC Autosport, Original Prototype Xi DOCRace 6266 Single Turbo Swap, VRSF CP w/Synapse BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Stoptech Stage 2 Slotted, xHP Stage 3, Earl's Racing Oil Cooler, Turner Boost Gauge, M3 Lip Spoiler.
Standing Mile Record Holder for Xi over a mile high: 168.2MPH @ 5512'; The Colorado Mile hosted by The US Mile.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 08:16 AM   #8
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340Xi MG 2017

Garage List
I must agree with AlpineSwift. I heard the other videos of the same muffler and i'm wondering what is that exhaust lol.

The videos doesnt give the exhaust any justice. You hear the engine more then the exhaust's tone. Try to take them from a distance.

That being said, your setup seems to have a lot of restrictions. But again, its hard to tell with those videos. Resonator delete will definitely help getting the sound deeper. Going sec cat delete is like using a Ventolin pump on an asthmatic lung. Definitely helped with my setup, but I dont have the same version.

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 09:52 AM   #9
aznboi330i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Man

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_power View Post
You should PM Gavin for a price. I don't want to quote you something that he may price differently. It sounds really great in person, very subtle at idle with a rich grumble as you rev it towards 4-6k RPM's. It doesn't sound anything like a lawnmower or some cheap aftermarket exhaust, just deep rich bass. At cruising speed with the windows up, it sounds almost exactly like the stock system, you'll be able to have a conversation or listen to your radio with out it drowning you out at all. At first I scheduled for a resonator delete with my muffler install but went with only the muffler because I was worried about the sound being too loud as well. Now, I'm going to schedule for the resonator delete to be installed probably next week. With that gone, it's going to sound absolutely money.
Oh wow thats awesome man! You should take some videos driving with the windows up and down! And also take some of the car in motion while your outside! It'll give the muffler more justice! But of course thats if you have the time to do all this! It be greatly appreciated!
      04-24-2011, 10:27 AM   #10
m_power
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 E90 328  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusJ View Post
I must agree with AlpineSwift. I heard the other videos of the same muffler and i'm wondering what is that exhaust lol.

The videos doesnt give the exhaust any justice. You hear the engine more then the exhaust's tone. Try to take them from a distance.

That being said, your setup seems to have a lot of restrictions. But again, its hard to tell with those videos. Resonator delete will definitely help getting the sound deeper. Going sec cat delete is like using a Ventolin pump on an asthmatic lung. Definitely helped with my setup, but I dont have the same version.
Unfortunately the video does sound like crap. The mic on my camera must really suck. The exhaust sounds damn good in person. I'm working on getting a better camera and I'll post new videos as soon as I can.

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 05:08 PM   #11
overkill1125
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 440xi Gran Coupe

Garage List
Phone camera sucks. Everyone should only post HD vids to truly show the products. Now it sounds like crap and I hear more of the intake than the muffler. I am sure that in person the exhaust sounds awesome.

Does the exhaust sound similar to this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...tzZ_lydbU#t=0s

Gurgle Gurgle Pop Pop... Music to my ears
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 07:55 PM   #12
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340Xi MG 2017

Garage List
We should definitely start a MMW video thread

I've provided videos with the V1 already and now that I just got the MMW midpipes, i'm gonna have some more to upload!

And Overkill, sorry for the delay, but whenever you want to come and hear the V1 in person, I'm in mirabel every saturday morning. But just tell me in advance to make sure I go there with my car; we do carpool most of the time and we switch drivers every week.

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 09:11 PM   #13
overkill1125
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 440xi Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusJ View Post
We should definitely start a MMW video thread

I've provided videos with the V1 already and now that I just got the MMW midpipes, i'm gonna have some more to upload!

And Overkill, sorry for the delay, but whenever you want to come and hear the V1 in person, I'm in mirabel every saturday morning. But just tell me in advance to make sure I go there with my car; we do carpool most of the time and we switch drivers every week.
Thanks for the offer, I live in the south shore and Mirabel is quite far from where I am. Let me know if you do plan to stay in Montreal and I'll come see you.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 12:35 PM   #14
ramirez330i
MATTE
Rep
Drives: '13 VW Golf R

Once I get my Csv2 in a couple weeks i will post hd video of before and after and possible inside cabin if you guys want
      08-04-2011, 04:47 PM   #15
OlivaresAnthony
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramirez330i View Post
Once I get my Csv2 in a couple weeks i will post hd video of before and after and possible inside cabin if you guys want
that would be most appreciated.
E90 325i|Sparkling Graphite Metallic|Steptronic|Black Leatherette/Dark Burl Interior|OEM Alarm|35%Front/5%Rear Tint|RD LED License Plate Lights|Rear Fogs Activated|Debadged|Smoked Sidemarkers|Blacklines|Depo P90v2|Matte Black Grille|BMS PBX|AFE Drop In|Charcoal Filter Delete|Air Scoops| RM Silicone Intake Hose| Magnaflow 14815| 19" Avant Garde M310|Continental DWS|M3 Lip Spoiler
Appreciate 0