E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Homelink Retrofit HELP!!!

04-23-2011, 07:57 PM   #1
OlivaresAnthony
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4

Garage List
Homelink Retrofit HELP!!!

Hi,

First of all, I know this is in the wrong section but I need some help now and thought that posting in this section should get more views.

I am installing the mirror with compass, homelink and autodimming on my 06 325i that did not come with it. I am using the retrofit cable(pn: 61120434330).

What I need to know is what pins cables A2-A5 go into on the connector that plugs into the mirror(A1). I can't find it on any of the DIYs and the PDF instructions from BMW don't say either.
E90 325i|Sparkling Graphite Metallic|Steptronic|Black Leatherette/Dark Burl Interior|OEM Alarm|35%Front/5%Rear Tint|RD LED License Plate Lights|Rear Fogs Activated|Debadged|Smoked Sidemarkers|Blacklines|Depo P90v2|Matte Black Grille|BMS PBX|AFE Drop In|Charcoal Filter Delete|Air Scoops| RM Silicone Intake Hose| Magnaflow 14815| 19" Avant Garde M310|Continental DWS|M3 Lip Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 09:16 PM   #2
OlivaresAnthony
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Nevermind, I figured out how to do it. The circuit diagram at the end of the PDF shows what pins the cables go in.

Now the mirror won't work though. The wires are in the right pins and I checked the mirror on my wife's car and it works. Anyone have any ideas why its not working on my car?
E90 325i|Sparkling Graphite Metallic|Steptronic|Black Leatherette/Dark Burl Interior|OEM Alarm|35%Front/5%Rear Tint|RD LED License Plate Lights|Rear Fogs Activated|Debadged|Smoked Sidemarkers|Blacklines|Depo P90v2|Matte Black Grille|BMS PBX|AFE Drop In|Charcoal Filter Delete|Air Scoops| RM Silicone Intake Hose| Magnaflow 14815| 19" Avant Garde M310|Continental DWS|M3 Lip Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 11:18 PM   #3
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Maybe there is a fuse missing since your car didn't have it from the factory ?
      04-24-2011, 10:25 AM   #4
jlc1978
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Red e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlivaresAnthony View Post
Nevermind, I figured out how to do it. The circuit diagram at the end of the PDF shows what pins the cables go in.

Now the mirror won't work though. The wires are in the right pins and I checked the mirror on my wife's car and it works. Anyone have any ideas why its not working on my car?
Double check the pins - both that they are in the right location and properly seated. The mirror should work just fine; chances arr there is either a bad connection or incorrect pinout.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 12:58 PM   #5
OlivaresAnthony
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I checked and the all the pin connections are right. I checked fuse 28, which is for homelink, and it is working. IDK what else could be the problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 05:52 AM   #6
jlc1978
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlivaresAnthony View Post
I checked and the all the pin connections are right. I checked fuse 28, which is for homelink, and it is working. IDK what else could be the problem.
Hmm. If it works in the wife's car but not in yours; I'd suggest pulling the cable from your car and plugging it and the mirror into your wife's car. That way you can isolate the problem at the cable or elsewhere. If it works, it's a problem upstream - maybe at the FZD; such as a bad connection between the cable and FZD.

If it doesn't it's a cable issue; since you know the mirror works with your wife's cable in her car.

I really doubt it's the FZD - my guess is a wire is loose in the cable assembly - have you checked continuity of each wire to be sure one did separate from the pin?

BTW - when you say working in your wife's car, I assume you mean the Homelink operates the garage; based on your looking for the Homelink fuse.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 06:48 AM   #7
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Will be following this thread to see what the problem ends up being, as I intend to do this retrofit myself.

Anyone know if High Beam Assist can be retroftitted at the same time? My understanding is that it uses the same Homelink mirror with the addition of a small camera - not sure if it's plug-an-play, though.

Sorry for the slight threadjack.
      04-25-2011, 09:29 AM   #8
jlc1978
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Will be following this thread to see what the problem ends up being, as I intend to do this retrofit myself.

Anyone know if High Beam Assist can be retroftitted at the same time? My understanding is that it uses the same Homelink mirror with the addition of a small camera - not sure if it's plug-an-play, though.

Sorry for the slight threadjack.
Don't know about the high beam assist but the Homelink is (normally) an easy DIY. There is a DIY that's straightforward using some wire pushed into teh stock connectors (so you don't need to buy the ~20$ BMW retrofit kit). I di dthat first - worked fine but wanted it to look stock if I ever had an issue so I bought the kit. All it is is a few very expensive wires and end plugs (I looked high and low for pins like BMW's but no luck). Rather than do all the cutting I simply unclipped the existing plugs, pulled the new wires through the existing grommet, slipped them into the holes and reclipped the plugs. A 1 beer job. Hardest parts - getting the plastic trim piece on the windshield on and off (be careful as the thing uses some tiny, fragile plastic clips) and reaching up into the FZD to unclip it (I used the hands behind the trim piece method. a bent plastic putty knife should do the job as well).

Best part - Under $150 for all the parts I needed and worth every penny. BMW should make it a standard item (at least Homelink and autodim) on 30K+ cars, IMHO. If you buy the mirror off ebay I'd email the seller to see if they have the wire harness as well and get them to throw it in; or if you go the salvage route grab it when you grab the mirror.

PM if you have any questions.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #9
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 SBM E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
What ever happened with this?
      03-10-2012, 04:24 AM   #10
tsev
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 325xi

Is there any DIY on this forum or elsewhere to retrofit this?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 04:45 AM   #11
tsev
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsev View Post
Is there any DIY on this forum or elsewhere to retrofit this?
Found it here if anyone needs: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...light=homelink
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 04:45 AM   #12
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
There is. But not one that actually walks you through every step like you're a dummy...which is what I needed. Or at least I would have gotten it done much faster if there was one that walked you through every step like a child.

If you need help, let me know...
      03-10-2012, 04:48 AM   #13
tsev
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo335i View Post
There is. But not one that actually walks you through every step like you're a dummy...which is what I needed. Or at least I would have gotten it done much faster if there was one that walked you through every step like a child.

If you need help, let me know...
Thanks, ye thats what I need cuz im not really an expert in this, only thing I installed myself is angel eye bulb. I will see if it is not so complicated I might just try installing it myself.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 04:51 AM   #14
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
It's not complicated at all, believe me if it could be explained right. I'm a dummie when it comes to this stuff....so it took me an hour of looking at everything over and over to figure out where everything goes. And once you do see, you realize how easy it is. Trust me, don't pay someone to do this. It's only difficult physically, not technical at all.....
      03-10-2012, 04:59 AM   #15
tsev
Private First Class
Rep

I will give it a try then, guess most important is to take ur time and if I get stuck there is always forum to ask.. Just one more question, does it matter if I have alarm or not? I have, does that make installation easier and does it mean that I already have wiring or it does not really matter? What is approx price of mirror with compass and home link?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 06:29 AM   #16
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
I have no idea about the alarm...I don't have one so I really don't know. No one mentioned that in the DIY's that I can remember.

I paid $200 for mine. If you search autodim or homelink, I think there are a few for sale on here. I think you could get one for as low as $100-150. And people mentioned buying them on ebay for $80.

Here's the dummie tips..

1. All you need from the retrofit kit is the wiring. All the extra little pieces are just in case you break one of the pieces that are already there...or if you just want to replace them for the hell of it. The piece that is used on the mirror itself is hard not to break so you will probably have to use the new one in the kit.

2. You're just running the wires from the 20 pin middle/black connector in the upper/front console to the 10 pin connector in the mirror. I know this is something that should be common sense and easily figured out in the first place. But no DIY actually says this at the beginning. If I would have known that in the 1st place, I would have been able to do this MUCH faster. I spent an hour just staring at diagrams and trying to read through so much until I finally realized that. You have to cut the rubber piece off the retrofit wiring and then look at the diagram (best shown on the link below) and plug them in, then put everything back.

4. Make sure when you slide the gray 20 pin connector in the console back in..you use the arrow on it to slide it in the right way. I did it wrong the first time. Stupid I know...but just glancing at it, you CAN put it in wrong.

5. To get the console open, go in from the windshield side. I knew this from doing my LED interior kit. The clips are damn near impossible to do from the rear.

3. I cracked my windshield trying to put the homelink mirror on. So be VERY careful doing this. Hopefully your's won't be so damn difficult.

http://www.bmw330i.info/projects/mirror.php

Last edited by gizmo335i; 03-10-2012 at 06:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 09:34 AM   #17
OlivaresAnthony
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
For those of you wondering if I was able to solve the issue...I never got it figured out but I didn't keep trying either. It was too annoying trying o figure it out with no luck, putting everything back together and trying again the next day.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #18
tsev
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo335i View Post
I have no idea about the alarm...I don't have one so I really don't know. No one mentioned that in the DIY's that I can remember.

I paid $200 for mine. If you search autodim or homelink, I think there are a few for sale on here. I think you could get one for as low as $100-150. And people mentioned buying them on ebay for $80.

Here's the dummie tips..

1. All you need from the retrofit kit is the wiring. All the extra little pieces are just in case you break one of the pieces that are already there...or if you just want to replace them for the hell of it. The piece that is used on the mirror itself is hard not to break so you will probably have to use the new one in the kit.

2. You're just running the wires from the 20 pin middle/black connector in the upper/front console to the 10 pin connector in the mirror. I know this is something that should be common sense and easily figured out in the first place. But no DIY actually says this at the beginning. If I would have known that in the 1st place, I would have been able to do this MUCH faster. I spent an hour just staring at diagrams and trying to read through so much until I finally realized that. You have to cut the rubber piece off the retrofit wiring and then look at the diagram (best shown on the link below) and plug them in, then put everything back.

4. Make sure when you slide the gray 20 pin connector in the console back in..you use the arrow on it to slide it in the right way. I did it wrong the first time. Stupid I know...but just glancing at it, you CAN put it in wrong.

5. To get the console open, go in from the windshield side. I knew this from doing my LED interior kit. The clips are damn near impossible to do from the rear.

3. I cracked my windshield trying to put the homelink mirror on. So be VERY careful doing this. Hopefully your's won't be so damn difficult.

http://www.bmw330i.info/projects/mirror.php
Allright thanks for the tips, it will be usefull. I will be taken pics during installation and if I manage I will post DIY here maybe it will be useful for someone.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 10:13 AM   #19
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
There is a DIY in the DIY section. And there's links inside the DIY's to click on that help.