E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Newbie question

04-24-2011, 12:06 AM   #1
NoHedge
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 | 991.1 C2S

Newbie question

Hi guys, I have around 18k I'd like to spend on a E90/92 and the only one I can seem to find in that range is a 325/330i with around 40-50k mileage and I was wondering is it really THAT much of an issue purchasing a non CPO'd / out of warranty BMW? I really would not like to lease because the feeling of owning your own car is indescribable. How much should I be expecting to shell out per year taking care of a 325/330? I also intend to keep this car for a while, would it last well over 100k miles (granted regular maintenance is done)

Thanks in advance for your input
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 01:23 AM   #2
NoHedge
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 01:46 AM   #3
jakobv84
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E60 525xi

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [0.00]
I had a '06 BMW 325i last year that was just regular preowned without any warranty (about 50k miles). Great car. Whoever stole it got a good one...

Like any used car just make sure it checks out and if something is too good to be true it probably is... Bring someone with you that knows something about cars and, if the seller will allow it, bring it by BMW for a read-out of the service history and potentially get it up on a lift.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 08:40 AM   #4
jlc1978
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Red e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by excusem3 View Post
Hi guys, I have around 18k I'd like to spend on a E90/92 and the only one I can seem to find in that range is a 325/330i with around 40-50k mileage and I was wondering is it really THAT much of an issue purchasing a non CPO'd / out of warranty BMW? I really would not like to lease because the feeling of owning your own car is indescribable. How much should I be expecting to shell out per year taking care of a 325/330? I also intend to keep this car for a while, would it last well over 100k miles (granted regular maintenance is done)

Thanks in advance for your input
The key is - has the car been maintained properly? If your buying from a dealer, have them pull the service history. If not, and you are on good terms with one, get the VIN (or borrow a key - I think the early e9x's use the key to recall serve data) and have ether pull the history. Poor, or lack of, maintenance will cause headaches don the road. Also - get the CARFX to see if it's been reported as having an accident. etc.

Overall the normal maintenance costs are not that unreasonable. Your best bet is to call a dealer and ask them what brakes, fluid flushes, etc. cost. An oil change at my dealer runs around $90 - not bad considering the cost of the oil and filter alone. That's an annual expense - I could DIY but the money saved isn't worth the hassle - and I like having the car checked by the dealer at least once a year so any recalls, TSBs get done plus he tells me what else is coming due. My guess is it would run less than $300 per year on average; based on my discussions with my service manager. A good independent would probably be less.

Some stuff you can do yourself - the cabin filter is an easy 5 minute swap so all you pay is for the filter. If you plan to do some o the routine stuff, invest in the Bentley manual. Best $80 I've spent.

Now, if it's a manual you're looking at some serious coin for a new clutch; and of course if something breaks it can get expensive. Overall, however BMWs tend to last - I've put well over 100K on two with just normal maintenance; except for a cracked exhaust down pipe on a 320i. Of course, that was back in the day when you could actually do 90% of the work on the car yourself with just a reasonable set of shade tree mechanic's tools. Today, with the electronics it's a lot tougher.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 05:35 PM   #5
NoHedge
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlc1978 View Post
The key is - has the car been maintained properly? If your buying from a dealer, have them pull the service history. If not, and you are on good terms with one, get the VIN (or borrow a key - I think the early e9x's use the key to recall serve data) and have ether pull the history. Poor, or lack of, maintenance will cause headaches don the road. Also - get the CARFX to see if it's been reported as having an accident. etc.

Overall the normal maintenance costs are not that unreasonable. Your best bet is to call a dealer and ask them what brakes, fluid flushes, etc. cost. An oil change at my dealer runs around $90 - not bad considering the cost of the oil and filter alone. That's an annual expense - I could DIY but the money saved isn't worth the hassle - and I like having the car checked by the dealer at least once a year so any recalls, TSBs get done plus he tells me what else is coming due. My guess is it would run less than $300 per year on average; based on my discussions with my service manager. A good independent would probably be less.

Some stuff you can do yourself - the cabin filter is an easy 5 minute swap so all you pay is for the filter. If you plan to do some o the routine stuff, invest in the Bentley manual. Best $80 I've spent.

Now, if it's a manual you're looking at some serious coin for a new clutch; and of course if something breaks it can get expensive. Overall, however BMWs tend to last - I've put well over 100K on two with just normal maintenance; except for a cracked exhaust down pipe on a 320i. Of course, that was back in the day when you could actually do 90% of the work on the car yourself with just a reasonable set of shade tree mechanic's tools. Today, with the electronics it's a lot tougher.
Thank you very much for your response! From what I've been reading the maintenance really isn't the issue. The issue is the warranty, if a part breaks, your wallet will take a beating is this true? I've heard that these beauties run problem free up till 100k. Also how are 3rd party warranty providers?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 07:57 PM   #6
NoHedge
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335coupe2007 View Post
Bro in all honesty- I would not buy a used BMW without it being CPO ( certified pre-owned). I have owned 3 BMW's ( all 3 series) and the headache and hassle ive had to deal with, I have decided that i am never buying a BMW again. I will lease every BMW i get from this point forward. Thats just me.

In your case, the 18k you have to spend- it is liquid cash?. If its liquid, then why not put some down and get a leased or new one? Clearly you'll have payments... i assume you have a job and/or can afford to pay a monthly payment? who knows...

If you're looking to buy a used 3 series with 18k- good luck man. BMWs are built to last but when they break-- UHHH u best have some coin to shell out b/c theyre not cheap to fix...

At any rate, be verrrrrrrry careful before u buy the car. make sure u have it checked out thoroughly. These cars are NOT cheap by any stretch of the imagination to fix when they break ESP. if its out of warranty.... Hence the fact from this point forward I will only lease a BMW and turn it back in before 50k... thats just MY 0.02. good luck sir.
Yup liquid cash, I got a thing with leasing, I just can't do it . I need to own, its just a personal thing . If I find a steal on a 06 e90/92 with a impeccable history, regarding maintenance, carfax etc. Should I buy it? and it should last me a while problem free right? (Its not written in stone of course). I could set aside a few grand for repairs etc.

on a side note - Any one know anything about 3rd party extended warranties? I might purchase one if I decide to buy an out of warranty BMW.

Again, thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 02:34 PM   #7
NoHedge
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Should I make the purchase?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 02:48 PM   #8
tmo24
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i e92

It's a tough one man. If you are worried about warranty, either save up a few more thousand or get one with a warranty and use your 18k as a down. Even if you finance 22k, your payment will be nothing. Then you can always pay it off early. Maybe in the first year. Then your credit will show a paid off car. just a different take I guess but don't jump on a car with 18k that is ALMOST everything you want. The other thing you can do is buy the car cash, then work out a payment plan for a cpo warranty, if it passes inspection.

2007 335i Jet Black e90 6MT - Eibachs, magnaflow exhaust, carbon hood, short shift kit, some other random stuff - being sold somewhere sometime soon probably

2010 335i AW e90 6 AT Msport - The GF took this one over... JB4, PE exhaust, Koni yellows/Eibachs, pink badges, fuzzy steering wheel cover ?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 06:11 PM   #9
Mark_K
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP

Quote:
Should I make the purchase?
Probably not. Quite a few people already told you not to. I'll add this:

1. If you are very young, don't do it. Don't stretch yourself with a car that you badly want now, but have to compromise because of the budget. BMWs will be around in 4-5 years when you have a nice stash of cash on the side and then get the one EXACTLY as you want it. Possibly a brand new one.

2. If warranty is such a big deal for you, it probably means that you don't have much cash left after you put $18,000 on the table. Please understand that I have no way of knowing that and I might be 100% wrong. However, if I'm right, don't do it. Warranties always have fine (font 2) print and you might still get hit with unfortunate repair of couple of grand that you don't have (again, IF I'm right on assumption above).

3. If performance is a big deal to you (and it probably is if you are young), you *might* be disappointed with the purchase you are planning. Just wait a little longer and then get E46 M3 or E9X 335i.

4. If money is absolutely no issue to you, don't do it and buy a new E9x 335i.
      04-25-2011, 08:16 PM   #10
NoHedge
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_K View Post
Probably not. Quite a few people already told you not to. I'll add this:

1. If you are very young, don't do it. Don't stretch yourself with a car that you badly want now, but have to compromise because of the budget. BMWs will be around in 4-5 years when you have a nice stash of cash on the side and then get the one EXACTLY as you want it. Possibly a brand new one.

2. If warranty is such a big deal for you, it probably means that you don't have much cash left after you put $18,000 on the table. Please understand that I have no way of knowing that and I might be 100% wrong. However, if I'm right, don't do it. Warranties always have fine (font 2) print and you might still get hit with unfortunate repair of couple of grand that you don't have (again, IF I'm right on assumption above).

3. If performance is a big deal to you (and it probably is if you are young), you *might* be disappointed with the purchase you are planning. Just wait a little longer and then get E46 M3 or E9X 335i.

4. If money is absolutely no issue to you, don't do it and buy a new E9x 335i.
Thank you Mark for the detailed response, you've helped me make up my mind, I am young, and if I were to make the purchase I wouldn't have much left over. Therefore I've decided I'll hold out until I have the means to purchase.

Again, I want to thank everyone for your responses
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 08:32 PM   #11
FVM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

get a e92 328i then , put down payment and finance it so you can get a higher value car instead of using that 18k cash
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 08:38 PM   #12
NoHedge
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherchenm View Post
get a e92 328i then , put down payment and finance it so you can get a higher value car instead of using that 18k cash
Not a bad idea Chris. I'll see how things pan out
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 09:14 PM   #13
Legion5
Major
Rep
Drives: e92

The 3 series with the 325/328/330 engine (it's all more or less the same engine with minor tweaks) is actually the most reliable car currently sold in the world for long term reliability and is equal or better than the Honda Civic in reliability.

So you'd think that these cars are great to own out of warranty? Well the thing is that all cars even Honda Civics have problems, I have friends with Civics and they've all had a few problems. The issue isn't how often the car has problem, it's how expensive it is to fix, and the 3 series is super expensive. Pretty much any major component that runs 3 times what other manufactuers charge. So overall it's not that big of a deal to own it out of warranty but you have to be prepared to pay over $1000 if something does break.

Personally what I would do is save up a little more money, 3 series pricing gives you wild differences in quality between the $18000 and the $22000 range, so with a few grand more you should be able to get a much better car. What I'd do after that point is buy a the car from CarMax, the reason being is that you can get a ridiculously cheap comperehensive 7 year (from the date of you purchasing the car not manufacture) 120k mile warranty for about $1500, which my bet is that it is much cheaper than even 1 service visit.

Clean cars are happy cars!
CANON PHOTOGRAPHER
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 10:20 PM   #14
NoHedge
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion5 View Post
The 3 series with the 325/328/330 engine (it's all more or less the same engine with minor tweaks) is actually the most reliable car currently sold in the world for long term reliability and is equal or better than the Honda Civic in reliability.

So you'd think that these cars are great to own out of warranty? Well the thing is that all cars even Honda Civics have problems, I have friends with Civics and they've all had a few problems. The issue isn't how often the car has problem, it's how expensive it is to fix, and the 3 series is super expensive. Pretty much any major component that runs 3 times what other manufactuers charge. So overall it's not that big of a deal to own it out of warranty but you have to be prepared to pay over $1000 if something does break.

Personally what I would do is save up a little more money, 3 series pricing gives you wild differences in quality between the $18000 and the $22000 range, so with a few grand more you should be able to get a much better car. What I'd do after that point is buy a the car from CarMax, the reason being is that you can get a ridiculously cheap comperehensive 7 year (from the date of you purchasing the car not manufacture) 120k mile warranty for about $1500, which my bet is that it is much cheaper than even 1 service visit.
The most reliable car sold for long term reliability ?
This is very good to know. Now you got me wondering again if I should jump the gun on a 330xi haha . I've seen some ridiculously cheap 06 325/330's on the board and I'm still debating if I should purchase or hold out for a "better" bimmer that still has warranty.

"3 series pricing gives you wild differences in quality between the $18000 and the $22000 range"
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 10:21 PM   #15
FVM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

Quote:
Not a bad idea Chris. I'll see how things pan out
or pay little more, maybe 20-22k get a 328i
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 10:31 PM   #16
username604
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Jump into a 2003/04 330i for ~13k and have 5k for repairs and maintenance, i doubt you'll use much more than half by the time you reach 100k
Hop on over to an e46 forum
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 10:37 PM   #17
NoHedge
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkneiber View Post
Jump into a 2003/04 330i for ~13k and have 5k for repairs and maintenance, i doubt you'll use much more than half by the time you reach 100k
Hop on over to an e46 forum
Thats a brilliant idea, but i LOVE the E90/92
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 11:33 PM   #18
JS82
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 328i 6MT Jet Black

Save a little more or get an E46.
An E90 can get very expensive if you're out of warranty and something breaks.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 11:44 PM   #19
username604
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
http://www.linquist.net/motorsports/articles/e90comparo
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 06:33 AM   #20
jlc1978
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Red e90

I'd second the CarMax with warranty idea. Not the cheapest route, but at least your covered for big issues. The nice thing is for many issues they can't fix it so the send it to the dealer anyway and pick up the cost less the deductible. They've changed the warranty lately so I'd check to see what the new terms are; last I looked they seemed better.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 07:55 AM   #21
electro-house
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i coupe

Do you really love e9x more, or do you just think you do, because it's newer?

To tell you the truth my 335i is probably going to be lemoned here with just one more HPFP failure, and I am really thinking of going back to e46, when I can well afford another e9x.

I only bought the 335i because I wanted the power increase, though in almost all other areas I enjoyed the e46 more. I would rather have an 04-06, e46 330ci with performance package, over a current e9x 328i and 2006 e90 325i/330i. This set up on the e46 330ci zhp is actually a faster car than the current 328i (and of course 06' 325i/330i), looks superior to e9x models in the opinion of most people, and handles better in the opinion of every body, and doesn't come equipped with a BS pair of RFT.

Before you dismiss the e46, go drive a 330ci with ZHP.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 03:40 PM   #22
NoHedge
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkneiber View Post
Thank you! Amazing comparison, very informational.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFlood View Post
Do you really love e9x more, or do you just think you do, because it's newer?

To tell you the truth my 335i is probably going to be lemoned here with just one more HPFP failure, and I am really thinking of going back to e46, when I can well afford another e9x.

I only bought the 335i because I wanted the power increase, though in almost all other areas I enjoyed the e46 more. I would rather have an 04-06, e46 330ci with performance package, over a current e9x 328i and 2006 e90 325i/330i. This set up on the e46 330ci zhp is actually a faster car than the current 328i (and of course 06' 325i/330i), looks superior to e9x models in the opinion of most people, and handles better in the opinion of every body, and doesn't come equipped with a BS pair of RFT.

Before you dismiss the e46, go drive a 330ci with ZHP.
I really do like the E9x more but the raw feeling of the e46 is a huge factor to consider, but after weighing it out, I decided to go for the E9x

In my personal opinion the E9x wins aesthetically compared to the E46. But to each its own.
Appreciate 0