E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Was I wrong in this situation?

05-19-2011, 02:30 PM   #1
aretardedorange
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60

Was I wrong in this situation?

I was driving on a one lane local road doing about 35 when the limit is 40. I had my little cousins with me just picked them up from the elementary school. A silver mazda mvp minivan was in front of me doing 30 so I slowed down because I was in no hurry.

The MVP then slammed on its brakes about 2-3 times and then just stopped. I stopped behind him and the minivan started driving again I said nothing nor did I do anything... then the minivan driver slammed on the brakes and made a abrupt left turn without signaling. I had to slam my brakes again so I just honked at him to express my annoyance.

Anyway I continued on was talking to my little cousins not paying much attention when I noticed a silver MVP taillgating me. At first I thought it can't be the first guy can it? So my development was coming up so I signaled and pulled in....the MVP followed me... I made a few more right turns and left turns and he still followed me. So I stopped in the the road and motioned him to go on. He pulls up along side and rolls his window down and starts yelling at me screaming at me for learning how to use my horn. I honked at him again a few more times and drove off fast. I lost him...

He said he was going to report my license plate to the police for reckless driving? Can he do that and can I get in trouble?

Was I wrong at honking at him? First time someone has ever followed me home. That guy was crazy what if I had a gun or something? I wish I had tinted windows maybe people will not mess with me.

Cliffs-
-I honk at minivan for not signalling.
-Minivan follows me home.
-Minivan drivers yells at my says he is reporting me to police, etc ,etc
-I drive away
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 02:39 PM   #2
BMWFanatic2008
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

How did the driver look?
      05-19-2011, 02:40 PM   #3
bbbuzzy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 335is convertible (manual)

With kids in the car, doing nothing is probably a better choice. In most cases, getting out to confront another driver is not a good idea. Just drive away. Using your horn is not an offense. However, if you think they got angry for honking, I doubt that's the whole story. Obviously, none of us were there. I'm guessing he was uncomfortable with how close you were behind him. Tailgating? This is likely what elicited the numerous brake lights before coming to a complete stop. It's never a good idea to travel closely behind someone, a space cushion is the most useful info from driver's ed I ever learned 31 years ago. The concept seems completely lost on most drivers in the USA. However, this driver's behavior is much worse than anything you did, based on what you described. Just another road rage incident. Better to let it slide and not let it ruin your day.
'06 330i MT, sport,premium (retired)
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 02:46 PM   #4
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013.9999 E92 Jerez ZCP

he MAD. just take those kids somewhere safer and go on winning. People like that are angry in general. I don't even use my horn anymore. I just give people thumbs up when they are being retarded.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 02:49 PM   #5
BMWsky
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Not related, but I saw this old, gray haired lady go batshit crazy on someone yesterday for honking at her. Her flipping the bird just took the cake. God I wish I could've video taped that.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 02:51 PM   #6
username604
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
I'm going to go ahead and bet you were following too closely. If someone was following me and i had kids in the car (besides myself) i'd tell the kids i was gonna have some fun and i'd floor it and leave the follower in the dust. Whatever you do, don't tell the kids you're being followed, they don't understand road rage.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 02:55 PM   #7
El Cheapo Loco
douchebaggo
Rep
Drives: stick

Whether fair or not, you will be seen as a douchebag when you drive a BMW.

But "tailgating" is quite subjective. Once I got flipped the bird for 2-car length behind someone in rush hour traffic. Some people are just angry all the time.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 02:59 PM   #8
Nalod
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Nut jobs everywhere. It happens. Bad day. Maybe spouse is cheeting, who knows.

I think perhaps you might have been too close if you had to "Slam on the breaks" but really thats minor.

He was mad cuz you don' know how to use your horn? This guy was slamming his brakes than he stalked you with children in the car. They were far more dangerous than anything you did.

Providing you don't have any crazy warrants on your license you should be ok. Just tell th officer what happened and perhaps you might have been wrong for honking but what they did might have been a bit over the top.

Watch out for the loony's!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 03:01 PM   #9
Wild Squid
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i coupe Msport AW

I used to carry marbles in my left jacket pocket when I used to ride a sportbike. Some assholes would tailgate even when I'm doing 90 and not in the fast lane, and threaten to knock me off the bike or something, some of them got cracked windshields or dented front bumpers.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 03:05 PM   #10
bkrM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [9.50]
Imagine what that guy is going to say to the police (who, by the way, he definitely isn't going to call): "Hi, police? I'd like to report a bmw that was following too close behind me. He also honked at me."

I think you're safe.

On an unrelated note, people have been pulling out in front of me like crazy all day today, and, most annoyingly, there has been no one behind me each time. The next one's going to get tailgated something fierce.
      05-19-2011, 03:13 PM   #11
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Squid View Post
I used to carry marbles in my left jacket pocket when I used to ride a sportbike. Some assholes would tailgate even when I'm doing 90 and not in the fast lane, and threaten to knock me off the bike or something, some of them got cracked windshields or dented front bumpers.
Back in the 1970's when bikes (and their mufflers) were cheap, the trick was to pull in the clutch lever, cut the motor with the kill switch, give it a few twists of the throttle and then simultaneously turn on the kill switch and let out the clutch. On a good day, one could get 2~3 feet of flames leaping out of the twin pipes and the cage driver would back-off in fear.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 03:28 PM   #12
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

This is why you carry a louisville slugger or a Glock 26.
      05-19-2011, 03:48 PM   #13
Dr. Nate
Nate Dogg
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Squid View Post
Back when I was a paramedic I made an accident where someone had tried that same stunt. The owner of the AMG Mercedes got the jump and put him in the wall. Not only did he lose his license, was out of work while he recovered, but he had to pay for the damages to the Mercedes and had to pay off that totaled bike that was brand new he paid cash for and only had lability on. The driver of the Mercedes said he simply didn't see him and hit the gas instead of the brake when he panicked.

When big jacked up trucks ride my ass in Houston I move over and let them by. It isn't worth starting something over and getting hurt just because the guy behind me is impatient.

-Nate
      05-19-2011, 03:53 PM   #14
Manoah
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i, LE R1

less talk, more ass whooping. ive come to a complete stop in the middle of the road before, got out and started walking back to the offending car when i realized it was teenage girl texting on her phone. i would have been even more angry but the look of extreme panic on the girls face just made me feel all happy and bubbly inside. she did a burn out to get around me and took off. i happily skipped back to my car.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 04:00 PM   #15
mofbb
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

bro u will be just fine, no worries.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 04:06 PM   #16
EngineCo52
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Montego 328xi CPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by aretardedorange View Post
I was driving on a one lane local road doing about 35 when the limit is 40. I had my little cousins with me just picked them up from the elementary school. A silver mazda mvp minivan was in front of me doing 30 so I slowed down because I was in no hurry.

The MVP then slammed on its brakes about 2-3 times and then just stopped. I stopped behind him and the minivan started driving again I said nothing nor did I do anything... then the minivan driver slammed on the brakes and made a abrupt left turn without signaling. I had to slam my brakes again so I just honked at him to express my annoyance.

Anyway I continued on was talking to my little cousins not paying much attention when I noticed a silver MVP taillgating me. At first I thought it can't be the first guy can it? So my development was coming up so I signaled and pulled in....the MVP followed me... I made a few more right turns and left turns and he still followed me. So I stopped in the the road and motioned him to go on. He pulls up along side and rolls his window down and starts yelling at me screaming at me for learning how to use my horn. I honked at him again a few more times and drove off fast. I lost him...

He said he was going to report my license plate to the police for reckless driving? Can he do that and can I get in trouble?

Was I wrong at honking at him? First time someone has ever followed me home. That guy was crazy what if I had a gun or something? I wish I had tinted windows maybe people will not mess with me.

Cliffs-
-I drive away

check you local laws. i work for a 911 center anyone can call and complain, and depending on the situation the duty officer has to approve the BOLO for us to send out to the officers, if they were to spot your car, they would follow you to see if what you were doing is correct. if they then have probable cause to pull you over they will.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 04:06 PM   #17
EngineCo52
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Montego 328xi CPE

to bad you had the little ones with you, i would have some choice words spoken his way, as well as a few gestures! :-D
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 04:18 PM   #18
DrPig57
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Crimson/Coral 135i M// package

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
This is why you carry a louisville slugger or a Glock 26.
Not a wise move anytime. Unless you don't mind jail.
      05-19-2011, 04:24 PM   #19
aretardedorange
Banned
Rep

Thanks for the replies everyone. I wasn't in the bimmer today I was in the Acura. I think people just hate nice cars =(. I notice it all the time people are more aggressive when I am in the bimmer or acura compared to lets say when I am driving a camry.

I park my TL far away at class and I come back and I usually see a crap car parked next to me.

I was not tailgating him. I noticed he was doing about 35 so I dropped down to 30 because I was in no rush. He was just randomly braking. He had picked up the speed and then braked hard and made a abrupt left. When he had picked up the speed so had I and that is why I had to slam on my brakes. I usually don't honk at people...I just ignore them unless they are doing something really stupid.

I did not exchange any profanities with the guy because like I said I had little kids in my car and I did not want to set a bad example. I just can't believe this guy followed me. What if I had a gun?? I need tinted windows haha!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 04:25 PM   #20
Strongmad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPig57 View Post
Not a wise move anytime. Unless you don't mind jail.
Not in any state with a castle law,or anti-car jacking law. You are perfectly justified using force if someone approaches your car and threatens you or your property, or if you feel they are threatening you or your property.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 04:27 PM   #21
aretardedorange
Banned
Rep

Here is one example of dumbness. I parked spots away.... DOZENS of spots empty all around. I come back to find this.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 04:29 PM   #22
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Use the FWHO rule. Just -uck with him once. Give the bird or whatever and move on. Never go back for seconds or you risk escalating and getting hurt or causing damages.

But, with kids in the car you should stand down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aretardedorange View Post

Cliffs-
-I drive away
Appreciate 0