E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > what is going on???!!!

05-22-2011, 06:52 PM   #1
1sicke92
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 N54

what is going on???!!!

I got into my car after work today, and I noticed that the SERVICE ENGINE SOON message came on in yellow. When I arrived home I read in the BMW manual that that can mean some type of engine or catalytic converter failure!

Granted, I do catless downpipes and I know that some type of CEL usually comes up for those that have catless downpipes, however I had mines installed more than 5,000 miles ago!

I don't understand what is going on? Is this a case of a simple BMS downpipe fix or could this be something major? I checked my oil and it is o.k. also I am not due for service for a while.

Let me know.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 08:04 PM   #2
username604
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
maybe it's just that your engine needs service soon. check the cbs
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 08:13 PM   #3
Nr!qUe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 LCI 328i 6MT

That happened to me once except it would come and go for about a week at a time. So i took it in and it turned out it was some malfunction with emissions, it was covered under warranty.
2009 BMW E90 328i | Xenons | MT | Space Gray | Beige-ette | CF Fabric Trim | iPod/USB | 20% Tints | Euro-Plate | Rear Fog Switch Lego Mod | Painted Reflectors | Performance Short-shift Kit | Style 197 Wheels | OEM Sport Suspension |
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 08:30 PM   #4
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nr!qUe View Post
That happened to me once except it would come and go for about a week at a time. So i took it in and it turned out it was some malfunction with emissions, it was covered under warranty.
The SES light most commonly is either from a loose gas cap or a emissions issue. Since the OP is catless I suspect that the problem is his exhaust system. He doesn't have warranty on his emission system and has placed his entire drivetrain warranty at risk for the bragging rights of running an illegal exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 08:37 PM   #5
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sairafe View Post
I got into my car after work today, and I noticed that the SERVICE ENGINE SOON message came on in yellow. When I arrived home I read in the BMW manual that that can mean some type of engine or catalytic converter failure!

Granted, I do catless downpipes and I know that some type of CEL usually comes up for those that have catless downpipes, however I had mines installed more than 5,000 miles ago!

I don't understand what is going on? Is this a case of a simple BMS downpipe fix or could this be something major? I checked my oil and it is o.k. also I am not due for service for a while.

Let me know.

Thanks!
Are you using the BMS v3 DP fix?..also I would suggest to use a scanner and read what type of codes ur throwing
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 08:41 PM   #6
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post
The SES light most commonly is either from a loose gas cap or a emissions issue. Since the OP is catless I suspect that the problem is his exhaust system. He doesn't have warranty on his emission system and has placed his entire drivetrain warranty at risk for the bragging rights of running an illegal exhaust.
Bragging rites??.....I dont brag about being catless, but i do brag about making tons of power and opening up and relieving restrictions on my turbos..

i have searched all over for a "legal exhaust" that puts out the power of straight pipes but have not found them yet..let me know if u do.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 09:38 PM   #7
1sicke92
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 N54

Ya seriously it's not for "bragging" rights, but the extra power is nice. I do not have the bms dp fix. Also don't want to go to the dealer due to having catless dps and getting my warranty voided. That being said I still want to make sure that my engine isn't under "serious" issue. If this is a result of the dps I'm cool with it, and ill probably buy a fix.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 09:44 PM   #8
Never-Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post
LOL b/c we all know the extra emissions crap on cars today is required.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 09:54 PM   #9
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sairafe View Post
Ya seriously it's not for "bragging" rights, but the extra power is nice. I do not have the bms dp fix. Also don't want to go to the dealer due to having catless dps and getting my warranty voided. That being said I still want to make sure that my engine isn't under "serious" issue. If this is a result of the dps I'm cool with it, and ill probably buy a fix.
I think your good luck string of being catless w/o the BMS o2 fix has run out..get a scanner either BT tool or any other OBDII scanner n see what codes you are getting..if you are getting

2C31
2C32
29F4
29F5

then you have to get the BMS o2 simm..just curious y would u put DPs w/o an o2 simm..did u not know u would throw codes and get SES CEL or even limp mode?
Appreciate 0