E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW screwed up my order (Any advise on how to fix?)

04-03-2007, 12:57 PM   #1
bjw6092
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 3-Series

BMW screwed up my order (Any advise on how to fix?)

I ordered both HD Radio and the IPod Adapter with my 335i coupe and when I went to pay today somehow those got left out. The car is already built but it is a month before I go pick it up in Munich.

My dealer agrees it is their mistake but they are saying there is nothing they can do about it or the at-least the HD Radio. For the IPod adapter, they are telling me they can install the "after-factory" IPod adapter but I remember when I bought the car the sales guy told me the functionality was not the same as if I bought it as a factory option. Now he is telling me the opposite. A couple questions.

- Has anyone been in a similar situation? Is it really impossible for them to switch the radio out and install HD. Has anyone every gotten their dealership to do this on a screwed up order?

- Does the "after-market" IPod adapter really offer the same functionality as the factory installed option?

Thanks for everyone's help. - Brian
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 01:01 PM   #2
MacAttack
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast enough

Garage List
2007 BMW  [0.00]
The after market iPod adapter is fully integrated on mine. Not sure what else the factory installed adapter provides so I can't compare. Either way...don't sweat it. Should be the same.
      04-03-2007, 01:01 PM   #3
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

I'm pretty sure the IPOD kit functions the same from the factory or dealer-installed.

However, if I were you, and these two options are very important to me, I'd tell them to order me another car. I don't like the idea of the dealer ripping apart the dash to install something, I rather it came straight from the factory
      04-03-2007, 01:02 PM   #4
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

or if the HD is possible to be added on aftermarket, I'd install it myself or get a trsuted shop to do so
      04-03-2007, 01:03 PM   #5
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjw6092 View Post
I remember when I bought the car the sales guy told me the functionality was not the same as if I bought it as a factory option. Now he is telling me the opposite.

Congratulations - you have just met a car salesman!

The dealer installed iPod adaptor is not the same as the factory installed adaptor. The differences are that the dealer installed unit uses the CD Changer bus and essentially mimicks a CD changer.

I don't know about the HD radio. I'm sure it is different hardware, and they might be able to swap it out.

Man, what is up with this rash of misconfigured cars? Y'all have some drooling morons for CAs.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 01:07 PM   #6
Mr.F1 Fan
Loyal Tifoso since 1986
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Monaco E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjw6092 View Post
I ordered both HD Radio and the IPod Adapter with my 335i coupe and when I went to pay today somehow those got left out. The car is already built but it is a month before I go pick it up in Munich.

My dealer agrees it is their mistake but they are saying there is nothing they can do about it or the at-least the HD Radio. For the IPod adapter, they are telling me they can install the "after-factory" IPod adapter but I remember when I bought the car the sales guy told me the functionality was not the same as if I bought it as a factory option. Now he is telling me the opposite. A couple questions.

- Has anyone been in a similar situation? Is it really impossible for them to switch the radio out and install HD. Has anyone every gotten their dealership to do this on a screwed up order?

- Does the "after-market" IPod adapter really offer the same functionality as the factory installed option?

BJW,
Hate to say it, but you are going to have to take delivery of that car the way it is, or force the delay of your trip. I am betting most members are going to tell you that you should have double checked the order and then checked it again before it went to production.
Since you have the dealer in the jackpot, make them give you some sort of concession. Maybe scratch the HD radio and have them throw in the dealer installed Ipod adapter. No, it's not the same, but what are you going to do.....let it ruin the awesome time you are going to have doing ED?
Truth is, it's a bummer, but you can still plug in your Ipod and I can't say I know enough about HD radio to say more than, oh well!
Just be glad they didn't f-up something really big like the color. The other two things you can live with. I would hit that dealer up hard and go have a blast! Trust me, this will soon be forgotten when you get there!

-Mr. F1
Nov 26th she has made landfall in NYC.
Now the wait for PCD begins! Scheduled for 12.21.07
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 01:36 PM   #7
kuthair
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Sedan 6MT

^ Not true! I was in a similar situation... getting ready for ED and after calling 800# found my order was wrong. Dealer called ED department and they reordered a new car and had it put at the top of the queue. They should be able to do the same for you. Mine was about a month before my trip as well.

Of course, the color was wrong on my original order (not missing options). Maybe that's why they were so accommodating.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 01:56 PM   #8
Mr.F1 Fan
Loyal Tifoso since 1986
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Monaco E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuthair View Post
^ Not true! I was in a similar situation... getting ready for ED and after calling 800# found my order was wrong. Dealer called ED department and they reordered a new car and had it put at the top of the queue. They should be able to do the same for you. Mine was about a month before my trip as well.

Of course, the color was wrong on my original order (not missing options). Maybe that's why they were so accommodating.
I certainly hope it works out that way for the OP. So many of these problems can be resolved properly if the dealership REALLY gets behind the effort. Unfortunately from what I have been reading of late, too often you just have to suck it up. It might be their mistake, but how willing they are to take a hit generally determines what they are willing to do about it. It's important to have confidence in the integrity of your CA; without that, you're screwed!
Nov 26th she has made landfall in NYC.
Now the wait for PCD begins! Scheduled for 12.21.07
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 01:57 PM   #9
bronco
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

oh my, oh my....and those people calling themselves CAs, are making 60-130K a year...maybe I should have never gone to school and went into the business of selling cars...God damn, maybe I was going to be making even more than 130K, since I can write and follow a conversation....
      04-03-2007, 02:02 PM   #10
kuthair
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Sedan 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.F1 Fan View Post
I certainly hope it works out that way for the OP. So many of these problems can be resolved properly if the dealership REALLY gets behind the effort. Unfortunately from what I have been reading of late, too often you just have to suck it up. It might be their mistake, but how willing they are to take a hit generally determines what they are willing to do about it. It's important to have confidence in the integrity of your CA; without that, you're screwed!
I couldn't agree more. The most important thing in a situation like this one tho, is to hurry. Cause there will soon be a time where nothing can be done in time for the scheduled ED delivery.

GL to OP. Whatever happens, enjoy your ED.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 02:08 PM   #11
bigrobb2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i

I've read from other people that the 6FL is better as it is designed to be for the IPod and the dealer add-on only manipulates the CD changer there for you have to access the Ipod with the CD player menu and can't have the 6 Disc changer. The dealer add on probably has more limitations.

I don't think you should chance the Dealer install being the same. In the long run you may regret it.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 02:31 PM   #12
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Basically, the new 6FL lets you control the iPod as an iPod. The dealer installed option forces you to use CD1, CD2, CD3...etc. for catagories like Artists, albums, etc. Your playlists are limited as well.

Still better than no integration... but expensive.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 02:41 PM   #13
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

If it was me, I would tell the dealer to order me another car. End of story.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 03:26 PM   #14
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
Basically, the new 6FL lets you control the iPod as an iPod. The dealer installed option forces you to use CD1, CD2, CD3...etc. for catagories like Artists, albums, etc. Your playlists are limited as well.

Still better than no integration... but expensive.
Both control the iPod as an iPod but the 6FL option uses the correct headings such as Artist, Album, Genre whereas the Interface uses CD1, CD2, etc. This is not a big deal and doesn´t impact operation.

The 6FL option allows for the use of USB music storage devices, which the Interface does not support. Therefore it is far more flexible.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 03:37 PM   #15
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpira View Post
Both control the iPod as an iPod but the 6FL option uses the correct headings such as Artist, Album, Genre whereas the Interface uses CD1, CD2, etc. This is not a big deal and doesn´t impact operation.

The 6FL option allows for the use of USB music storage devices, which the Interface does not support. Therefore it is far more flexible.
I haven't been able to play with the 6FL interface yet but these can't be the only differences? The most kit is extremely slow and only loads limited amount of music at a time. I find it hard to believe they changed nothing but how the files read and how the cord plugs into the ipod. To me a USB adapter should be much faster, load more music and have better surfing options, cuz IMO the most kit blows some major balls. Some people will tell you they love it and some hate it. I hate it. You have to have your Ipod in perfect order with multiple playlists to be able to remotely listen to anything you like. I mean if you only have a couple hundred songs then I guess it doesn't matter, but if you have a couple thousand then you'll be hating just as much as I do.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0